• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Looking at boats

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
What are you hauling that's so heavy? Your truck is squatting quite a bit and your trailer tire looks like it'll be rubbing the fender on the slightest move of the suspension.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
There's still a bit of clearance. Those truck campers are heavy. And that's a heavy boat. I'll say one thing though. That 3.5l twin turbo sure hauls. Yes, the truck looks squatted down a bit. But as far as stability and power, I had absolutely no problem. Very stable on the highway at all speeds.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks. I love it so far. Very stable. Very fast. Handles the waves good. Plenty of room for us.

Canadian eh!!!

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So I had a couple of issues with the boat this summer. First, about mid August I took it out and when I turned the key on, none of the gauges worked and there was a buzzing sound before starting it. It would still start and run fine. There's an electronic control box on the engine that receives the signal from the gauges that was fried. Warranty took care of that.

Secondly, when I bought it in may, I paid for a bimini top roof for it. The dealership ordered the roof. It took almost a month to get here. When it came, the mounting hardware was missing. The dealership fought with the supplier all summer and in the process misplaced the roof so they had to reorder it complete new top and hardware. It finally arrived this week so I brought the boat in to have it installed before I put the boat away for the winter. I dropped it off at 8:30am Friday and by 11:30 it was done.

I got it home and into storage just in time as only 2 hours later it began snowing. My main concern was that I didn't want to haul it on the highway in the winter salt then leave it sit all winter covered in salt. Thankfully I avoided that.
ecc9358c8c7d1bdced2950be6ab41159.jpg
51e008982d99b50bd428b4b66a2d900a.jpg
e735ebc5ea78b6d0dfe7172145de4a87.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Bamby

Now I'd like to recommend that you get a box of mothballs and dump them in a disposable plastic container and slide it up under the cover on the floor. This is cheap and will discourage almost anything from taking up residence in your boat.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
The boat survived the winter without any varmints. Lol. I scored a dock slip for the summer at camp. Top speed is 44mph with the motor trimmed just right. I usually go full throttle to get up on step then back it down a bit to a cruising speed of 40mph.
1b19622dd96d078b56e76ca1d7c759a8.jpg
66c191a351d3b8f96c95689b258eed74.jpg
d51d0fb242bc4457f394204493bbb0f7.jpg
5d25a86924f2ef26b73b5fa17aaca45a.jpg
5e7a80b2f1cd6b091eba790c09862ce9.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Nice. Awesome to have a slip!! :thumb:

I tried mothballs and slices of Irish spring on our boat last winter. Still had mice and still have the freaking moth ball smell on the boat. f'in mice. :angry:

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
Funny thing is that I didn't have any in mine. The boat sat under the carport on the side of the garage all winter. No mothballs. No mice. Dad's boat was sitting in the yard shrink wrapped with mothballs and bounce sheets and he had mice.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
So last year I had an issue with the boat. None of the guages worked. I brought it in for warranty and they determined that an electronic control panel that sends signals from the engine to the guages fried. They changed it out.

Fast forward to this weekend. I was out pulling the kids on the tube when the guages started flickering then died. So I loaded up the boat and hauled it back to town. It's booked in for next week for the same issue.
4367ad27f556528f64c65ecf80ab93e5.jpg
48da4dcc37c65c49a656f90627948479.jpg

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh that sucks. These new boats if the one main window does not work you know nothing of what is going on with the engine or depth, water temp, fuel delvery, charging system etc etc etc. The engine might run okay but you are running blind. Scary. Good luck Brian.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Ahh that sucks. These new boats if the one main window does not work you know nothing of what is going on with the engine or depth, water temp, fuel delvery, charging system etc etc etc. The engine might run okay but you are running blind. Scary. Good luck Brian.

This is why I have older engines . Most of my marine engines still use physics to operate and analog gauges to tell what is going on independently, without sending a signal to the master computer.
I have a 1982 75 HP mercury, a 1996 80 HP mercury and a 1990, 350 CI gray marine with a Merc outdrive. The sailboat has an inboard Perkins diesel.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I agree with you on that. I prefer the times when they weren't full of electronics. Now, if there's anything wrong, bring it to the dealer and hook it up to a computer to diagnose it.