• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

My first Tucker 1970 442a

troubledwaters

First off, I will let you know, all my friends, including my wife, think I'm insane! I just purchased a Tucker from a one owner Ski Hill in northern WI. I plan a ground up restoration. I'm looking forward to running the machine for the first time this weekend. It is in OK shape and, seemed to be well maintained throughout the years. I've been lurking around this forum for the past couple years and feel I can restore this machine with the wealth of knowledge and info here. Stay tuned for updates and please feel free to chime in any time. I love the conversations and, always looking for any advise.

This is going to be GREAT!!

Nick

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 710
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 717
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 716

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Congratulations, you have been bitten hard by the snow cat bug!! There are a bunch of Tucker fans here and I am sure you will find that usefull. Got snow yet??

Welcome to the forum too!

Regards, Kirk

troubledwaters

That's some bug! last for years and you never get over it! Much like the last bug that bit me "BOATS"!!! Still tying to get over that one!! I own 3 and, only use them once in a great while but, still would not part with any of them.

We have all kinds of snow but, I don't have it running yet! It's killing me! maybe this weekend. I will post some pic's as soon as is it is on the move. My friend that is working on the fuel pump plows for the county so, as much as I want snow... It is going to delay the first run. Win lose situation!
Nick

Last edited:

Northcoast

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats ! I'm on my 4th snowcat and 3rd tucker,so it really can get worse ! They are a great machine,so enjoy!

Lyndon

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Skiing in my youth, Tucker Steel Track machines were in their 'Hay-day'. Right thru the last years of the steel track they represented what a snow cat really was. No nonsense, sure footed as a mountain goat, go anywhere machines. It is interesting to note that although there are a dozen or so manufacturers of tracked, over the snow vehicles, they all get grouped together under the single moniker of "Snow-Cat". No Differential Braking two track machine could perform as well in all sorts of conditions.
You have to be a glutton for punishment to own a track rig, and steel tracks are no exception to the rule.
Nice choice. Looks like it's reasonably healthy. Always good to rebuild something that isn't all rotted out.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I will go beyond that and say that you are much more of a glutton for punishment with the steel track! But with that being said, even though the pontoons look like crap right now, the HUGE benefit is knowing that someone actually took the time to do the lube maintenance on the machine.

What does it have for an engine?

undy

Welcome to the forum. Nice machine.

So, out of curiosity, what ski area did that cat come from? Odds are pretty good that I've skied on runs that it once groomed.

Cheers,
Paul

troubledwaters

Well, Here is where I'm at on the Tucker. Talked to my mechanic and he had some bad news. The crank case had about 4 gallons of gas in it! We are not sure if it was run with it that way but, it will be very apparent once we start and run the engine for the first time. I'm hoping for the best. It has the Chrysler slant six industrial motor. The new carb that was installed last fall was loose. I purchased the Tucker from Mount Ashwabay ski hill in Bayfield WI. New operators of the non-profit hill so, they did not know much about the condition and said they thought it had a fuel pump issue. I took a chance on this cat and if I need to rebuild the motor I'm afraid I will not be taking a ride until next year. I may be starting the restore sooner than later. Cross your fingers I will be trying to start it in a couple hours.

Nick

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I hope I am not too late, but I would not try to start that cat with gasoline in the pan. Drain and flush and find out where the fuel is coming from, Carb, or fuel pump. Could be some one did not know the difference between a gas cap and oil add cap.

troubledwaters

Good news! It was a carb issue..... and, it was the reason for all the gas in the pan! After a lot of trouble shooting the Sno -Cat is alive!! I took my first ride in a snow machine and couldn't be more thrilled!! I took a big chance but, I think it was worth the choice. My wife didn't feel the same way but, she is begging for a ride! Steel tracks at WOT scary!! Just waiting for the train to de-rail!!!

The cat now supports a electronic fuel pump and seems all is well! cool shit!!! I love it!!!

Nick

troubledwaters

Question?? I parked the Sno-cat in the deeper snow but, when I went to move, it seemed very stuck to the base!! Is it better to park on hard pack or fluff?

wpelk

We had the same problem. We now use some old wood pallets to park on. Cheap and no stuck tracks.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Awesome buy. Has your wife called you an 'idiot' for buying it yet? If not, wait a little while, it will happen. She's just gonna be jealous of your new toy!

Question?? I parked the Sno-cat in the deeper snow but, when I went to move, it seemed very stuck to the base!! Is it better to park on hard pack or fluff?

The tracks can freeze to the ground if the sun warms the snow, melts it a bit, and then the temps drop again re-freezing. This can happen with any brand/style of track machine. Usually all rubber track machines are less prone to this but it still can happen.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hi Troubled waters,

Great you got her going. I'm hoping WOT means something different to you than "wide open throttle". I'm too old to know all the lol and wtf language of the day. Steel tracks don't like fast. The sales brochures says 10-15 but I don't go over 10 and spend 90% at 8mph. Operator's manual on the Kitten says 7-8. I see you have adjusting rails on your pontoons so you can get away with more speed than non-adjusters. For long trouble free life and less walking home, I would not go over 10.

Tucker steel pontoons tend to have the drive sprocket freeze to the inside of the pontoon cavity. Weld a piece of 1/4 inch square stock across the OD of the sprocket. This creates a space that helps to prevent the freezing in most situations. Tucker used to provide a metal flex tube long enough to reach the large hole in the side of the pontoon that connected to the exhaust outlet for the purpose of defrosting the frozen sprockets. You can tell which one/s are frozen by gently trying to move forward- reverse and the offender/s will not rotate relative to the pontoon. Best done with more than one person.

Good luck with your classic.

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Tucker steel pontoons tend to have the drive sprocket freeze to the inside of the pontoon cavity. Weld a piece of 1/4 inch square stock across the OD of the sprocket. This creates a space that helps to prevent the freezing in most situations.
Drifter,

Could you post a pic of what you're describing?? Can't visualize how that would prevent the freeze lock up. :unsure:

Thanks,
David

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is a sprocket for a 443 with a half link in the track. The welded on 1/4 inch stock provides a gap in the snow around the sprocket which lessens the chance that snow will freeze to it.

Attachments

• DSCN1732.jpg
    DSCN1732.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 332

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dear glacierparkbus person,

Don't you wish you could paint like that?

It makes a nice waste paper basket.

Sno-drifter

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
very kewl idea, waste paper baskets, I know where you can get a lot more of those baskets, you are one lucky guy to have orange paint like that, only seen paint work like that at pebble beach concours

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here is another waste basket. This is probably the only legitimate use of re-bar on a Sno-Cat.

Attachments

• DSCN1735.jpg
    DSCN1735.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 174

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I see what you are talking about now. And I have four of those trash cans, but mine look NOTHING like these! :wow::w00t2: