• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Newt Gingrich's Daughter ... sets record straight on Newt's 'death bed divorce'

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Setting the Record Straight by Jackie Gingrich Cushman on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

Most of you probably have heard the story about Newt divorcing his wife on her death bed. Apparently that was a made up political hatchet job, according to their daughter. That story was the main reason I could not stomach supporting him and is a common complaint that I hear levied at him by others.
. . . I'm talking about the story of my father's visit to my mother while she was in the hospital in 1980.

For years, I have thought about trying to correct the untrue accounts of this hospital visit. After all, I was at the hospital with them, and saw and heard what happened. But I have always hesitated, as it was a private family matter and my mother is a very private person. In addition, for the four people involved, it was one of a million interactions and was not considered a defining event by any of us.

My mother and I have both recently run into quite a few people who hold an inaccurate understanding of this hospital visit. Many think my mother is dead.

So, to correct the record, here is what happened: My mother, Jackie Battley Gingrich, is very much alive, and often spends time with my family. I am lucky to have such a "Miracle Mom," as I titled her in a column this week.

As for my parents' divorce, I can remember when they told me. . .
She continues with the story and corrects the big lie. Read it at the link above.​

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Newt's first wife was originaly his HS Math teacher. Yes she was much older than him.

In today's world she might have been subject to arrest.

Their Divore was a mutual agreemet based in part on the fact that they were different people going to very different destinations. It was, in fact, mutual and just so happend that the divorce papers came for signing while Mrs Gingrich was recoverning in the hospital.

That said, his second divorce is less inocent, so to that one he owns some guilt. But not the vitiolic spin from his opponents. I often thought they were mean and intentional because the left just feared Newt's intelligence and political strenths.

Nope, they just do drive bys on all conservatives.

I've always like Newt. His Leadership in the House is why Clinton had a good fiscal performance. But the left hated him for it. So they disc'ed him. And the GOP, which stood to gain from it in 2001 let 'em do it.

So, when the GOP turned their back on Newt, I turned mine on the GOP