• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Congressional priorities out of whack!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
WASHINGTON (AP) — Don't touch my brownies!
A child nutrition bill on its way to President Barack Obama — and championed by the first lady — gives the government power to limit school bake sales and other fundraisers that health advocates say sometimes replace wholesome meals in the lunchroom.
Republicans, notably Sarah Palin, and public school organizations decry the bill as an unnecessary intrusion on a common practice often used to raise money.
"This could be a real train wreck for school districts," Lucy Gettman of the National School Boards Association said Friday, a day after the House cleared the bill. "The federal government should not be in the business of regulating this kind of activity at the local level."
The legislation, part of first lady Michelle Obama's campaign to stem childhood obesity, provides more meals at school for needy kids, including dinner, and directs the Agriculture Department to write guidelines to make those meals healthier. The legislation would apply to all foods sold in schools during regular class hours, including in the cafeteria line, vending machines and at fundraisers.
It wouldn't apply to after-hours events or concession stands at sports events.
Public health groups pushed for the language on fundraisers, which encourages the secretary of Agriculture to allow them only if they are infrequent. The language is broad enough that a president's administration could even ban bake sales, but Secretary Tom Vilsack signaled in a letter to House Education and Labor Committee Chairman George Miller, D-Calif., this week that he does not intend to do that. The USDA has a year to write rules that decide how frequent is infrequent.
Margo Wootan of the Center for Science in the Public Interest says the bill is aimed at curbing daily or weekly bake sales or pizza fundraisers that become a regular part of kids' lunchtime routines. She says selling junk food can easily be substituted with nonfood fundraisers.
"These fundraisers are happening all the time," Wootan said. "It's a pizza sale one day, doughnuts the next... It's endless. This is really about supporting parental choice. Most parents don't want their kids to use their lunch money to buy junk food. They expect they'll use their lunch money to buy a balanced school meal."
Not all see it that way.
Palin mocked the efforts last month by bringing a plate of cookies to a school speech in Pennsylvania. Rep. John Kline of Minnesota, the senior Republican on the House Education and Labor Committee, said the federal government "has really gone too far" when it is deciding when to hold bake sales.
Some parents say they are perplexed by what the new rules might allow.
In Seminole, Fla., the Seminole High Warhawks Marching Band's booster club held a bake sale to help send the band's 173 members to this year's Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in New York. One of the bake sale's specialties: New York-style cheesecake, an homage to the destination they'd pursued for 10 years.
"Limiting bake sales is so narrow-minded," said Laura Shortway, whose 17-year-old daughter, Mallory, is a drummer in the band. "Having bake sales keeps these fundraisers community based, which is very appealing to the person making the purchase."
Several school districts and state education departments already have policies suggesting or enforcing limits on bake sales, both for nutritional reasons and to keep the events from competing for dollars against school cafeterias. In Connecticut, for instance, about 70 percent of the state's school districts have signed on to the state education department's voluntary guidelines encouraging healthy foods in place of high-sugar, high-fat options.
Under those rules, bake sales cannot be held on school grounds unless the items meet nutrition standards that specifically limit portion sizes, fat content, sodium and sugars. That two-ounce, low-fat granola bar? Probably OK, depending what's in it. But grandma's homemade oversized brownie with cream cheese frosting and chocolate chips inside? Probably not.
One loophole in Connecticut: The nutritional standards apply if the food is being sold at a bake sale, but not if it's being given away free, such as by a parent for a child's birthday.
"If a mom wants to send in cupcakes to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, that would not be subject to the state guidelines," said Thomas Murphy, a spokesman for the state's education department.
In New York City, a rule enacted in 2009 allows bake sales only once a month, and they must comply with nutritional standards and be part of a parent group fundraiser.
Wootan says she hopes the rules will prompt schools to try different options for fundraising.
"Schools are so used to doing the same fundraisers every year that they need a strong nudge to do something new," she says. "The most important rebuttal to all of these arguments is that schools can make money other ways — you don't have to harm kids health."

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Its no damn wonder these crooked assholes cant get anything important accomplished , there all over the damn place trying to fix shit that aint broke . :hammer:

They cant find anything simple enough that they CAN fix so they just keep making shit up .:whistling:

This makes about as much sense as putting a new set of shiny wheels on a vehicle that has no brakes :glare:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Well that would describe the stimulus spending pretty well!:yum::yum::yum:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey, this is the final hoo-rah for these ass holes who are soon to be out of a job. Just shows how much they actually gave a shit about the people who voted for them and how much they care for the lobbyists and benefactors who paid for all the campaign posters, mailings and lying fucking commercials. Those are the people who will each benefit from these nanny state laws they are trying to get through. May they rot in hell, each and every one of them, with Harry and Nancy having the seats of honor next to satan's sphincter vent. How's that for showing the love???

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Well that would describe the stimulus spending pretty well!:yum::yum::yum:

NPR yesterday said that 46% of Americans are obese. Not just plain ole fat but obese. This bill is supposed to correct the percentage of obese. They also went on and said how many more kids would be eating at the schools and it seemed.to me this was a lot of money to add few kids to the eating program. Some more government waste I think. Making kids eat healthy versus unhealthy really should not change the expense much I would think.

If our government doesn't stop spending it wont be long and no one will be eating we'll.

Last edited:

JEV

Mr. Congeniality
GOLD Site Supporter
NPR yesterday said that 46% of Americans are obese. Not just plain ole fat but obese. This bill is supposed to correct the percentage of obese. They also went on and said how many more kids would be eating at the schools and it seemed.to me this was a lot of money to add few kids to the eating program. Some more government waste I think. Making kids eat healthy versus unhealthy really should not change the expense much I would think.

If our government doesn't stop spending it wont be long and no one will be eating we'll.
There are people who actually believe that NPR tells the truth and always has the facts straight and is unbiased (ask Juan Williams about that one). Those same people voted for Obama. I rest my case.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
NPR yesterday said that 46% of Americans are obese. Not just plain ole fat but obese. This bill is supposed to correct the percentage of obese. They also went on and said how many more kids would be eating at the schools and it seemed.to me this was a lot of money to add few kids to the eating program. Some more government waste I think. Making kids eat healthy versus unhealthy realm should not change the expense much I would think.

I would like to know what persentage of that 46% are living off of the government such as welfare or SS disability due to the fact their to damn lazy to fucking work & busy feeding their fat friggen faces as well as their fat ass kids . I would bet far more then half :hammer:

Cut off the money supply to these freeloaders & things might just change . I would imagine these same dead beats are a huge stress on the healthcare system .

Real simple stuff yer face & draw a check , theres to many people that do this shit on purpose , so I,m sorry but I have no sympathy for these types of freeloaders . :ermm:

Sure thats not the case with all of them , some people have medical conditions that can cause this , Lots of folks need to draw welfare for various reasons & disabled people truly do deserve to be helped , I do have sympathy for those folks .

But the government is running things like extreme home makeover friggen reality show & are worse at screening people in need then they are & THEY really suck at it theirselves IMO . Talk about overkill , hell them folks cant even afford the taxes & up keep on their new found homes thats filled with the fanciest gadgets & other crap they give them . :ermm:

In case you cant tell I,m not a big fan of reality TV as well :doh:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I would like to know what persentage of that 46% are living off of the government

I don't know CB. I didn't think of it that way. I look at myself and in my own office at the people that I consider a tad bit on the heavy side and none of them are on the governments ticket. In fact some are very well to do off. As for adding people to the school food program there may be a lot of them people already on assistance of some kind but I don't know if they are in the obese classification or not.

It just seems to me the program is not going to cut the percentage of obese people. I think it has to come from the home.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't know CB. I didn't think of it that way. I look at myself and in my own office at the people that I consider a tad bit on the heavy side and none of them are on the governments ticket. In fact some are very well to do off. As for adding people to the school food program there may be a lot of them people already on assistance of some kind but I don't know if they are in the obese classification or not.

It just seems to me the program is not going to cut the percentage of obese people. I think it has to come from the home.

Yep I agree thcri , Folks need to be more responsible for their own well being & especially their childrens . I just dont understand how a parent can not only make a bad example by letting theirselves go , but to sit & watch idly by as their kids health is at risk is absolutely unexcusable IMO .

That being said , I know I dont get out anymore so I dont really see how much worse it has gotten But , From what my wife tells me is its really sickening these days especially where she works . Which by the way is basiclly a call center for a major cruiseline that employs around a 1000 people .

I personally dont know anyone thats obese , but My wife has several friends from where she works & several ladys have been out here to visit for company get togethers . I was shocked when I first met them all , out of 15 ladys I have met personally only 1 would be what I would call not obese & she,s only 20 years old & certainlly headed that way soon as I would guess she weighs around 200 lbs & is rather small . I find it rather sad really but Yes they are all good people & some are fairlly well off & good workers .

I,m begining to wonder if it isn,t the work envirements these days that isn,t the cause for a lot of the problems with so many jobs just being sit down jobs & no real physical labor . They have a huge gym where my wife works but she said it rarelly gets used by anyone other then herself & other management . But they also cater food in for the employees on a regular basis . :doh:

At any rate We dont need the government getting anymore involved then they allready are IMO , But I have no idea how to make parents more responsable , I recon thats what pisses me off so much . :wink:

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Cowboy, if you were to go to wally world or aldi or any major chain and see what some of these folks buy you would quickly understand where the problem starts. That and getting McDonalds etc. to take home for supper. The start of eating healthy is at home and the schools have a part as well. That being said I think it is overkill to regulate bake sales etc. Parents and their kids need to learn responsible choice, not wait for the government to make those decisions for them.:hammer:

BamsBBQ

ok..heres another one..

Congress has passed a new act that is headed to Obama's desk called the CALM Act that will force commercial makers to regulate the volume of their commercials so that the commercials are no louder than the accompanying programming. President Obama is expected to sign the bill into law. CALM stands for Commercial Advertising Loudness Mitigation. The act has been in the works for a while and was approved by the House and Senate this week clearing the way for Obama to sign it into law.

The Wall Street Journal
quotes Rep. Anna Eshoo, the sponsor of the House bill, saying, "Consumers have been asking for a solution to this problem for decades, and today they finally have it. [The bill] gives consumers peace of mind, because it puts them in control of the sound in their homes."

The FCC has received complaints about the volume of ads for years and has historically told users to simply mute the volume. Eshoo said, "Consumers will no longer have to experience being blasted at. It’s a simple fix to a huge nuisance."

The sponsor of the Senate bill was Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse. Whitehouse stated, "While this is far from the biggest issue we face, it will mean one less daily annoyance in our lives."

come on now.. a million other important things to come before congress and they are worried about the volume level of a commercial? they make a mute button the remote control...mute is your friend..lol

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
At any rate We dont need the government getting anymore involved then they allready are IMO , But I have no idea how to make parents more responsable , I recon thats what pisses me off so much . :wink:

Take the dam Nintendo and TV away from them. Make them be creative by playing outside and doing other things physically. Now they sit at home after school every day and eat in front of the TV. McDonalds is not what is making this country Obese.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Take the dam Nintendo and TV away from them. Make them be creative by playing outside and doing other things physically. Now they sit at home after school every day and eat in front of the TV. McDonalds is not what is making this country Obese.

Yep I agree as well , but from my understanding the parents are just as bad with all the games , online poker & updatin their damn facebook pages , sets a perty piss poor example if Ya ask me .

Like Bill said its got a lot to do with parents not cooking the right foods , if at all . Just zap something in the microwave has become far of a habit as well IMO . I wonder what the percentages are of familys actually sitting down to a real dinner together is , But I bet its not the norm like it was 10 or 20 years ago . Everybodys to damn busy with all of there fancy gadgets & toys . :hammer:

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
We don't have bad kids, we have bad parents. Government can do all they want, spend all the money available and it won't change until we change parents.