• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

First Garden!

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
I save my coffee grounds for my garden. The worms love it.

One thing that has not been mentioned. Corn is wind pollenated so you want to grow that in a square or short rows across the prevailing wind. One or two long rows will not produce nearly as much corn.

I always plant two seeds in the hole to insure pollination. Smaller ears but fuller.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, I grew my corn in a square but mine sucks compared to what I buy from the Amish. My plot wasn't enough for us so I'd be buying anyway so now I use that space for other things. I buy 30 dozen ears each year and we do a family production line and process all of them in 1 or 2 evenings.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
This is my first year living full time on the mountain here in NC, and along with everything else I'm turning farmer! Went to Tractor Supply yesterday and got seeds for my latest adventure. We have:

• Onions (Yellow)
  • Sweet Peppers
  • Tomato (Roma)
  • Pea's
  • Radish's
  • Cucumber's
  • Hot Peppers
  • Sweet Corn
  • Carrot's
  • Strawberries (Everbearing)
  • Raspberries

I know nothing abut gardening so I hope these vegies will co-exist in the same area. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated!

Squerly - I didn't re-read all the posts but did we discuss (or do you know) what you're going to do with these at harvest time? I see a lot of frozen veggies but are you going to can any sauces or pickles?

Aklian

I think he want to grow these whole vegetables and fruits to make his garden an attractive place and it is a very good thinking because these all plants grow well and provide us good rewards in the shape of fruits and vegetables.