• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Haverhill Hollywood

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
So this morning I hear a helicopter over my house. I was thinking Tuckerville has a new method of Tucker hunting. When I went outside it was not orange but instead a black stealthy one with a big camera. I see it down low over the bridge then it comes up the road and a few prohibition error cars followed by a vintage police car race down the street in front of my house filming some sort of chase scene.

A few hundred yards down the street is Historic Rocks Village and this Rocks Village Bridge which connects Haverhill and West Newbury Massachusetts. I have attached a picture of it. The second picture is to the left looking up at my Tucker playground from the West Newbury side of the bridge which is the hill behind those homes. The third is the old Hand Tub Firehouse on the Haverhill side. It is almost restored and was the primary means of firefighting in the village. The river is also tidal. In the winter years ago they used at for transportation. On a very cold winter I have seen people out on it. The river rises and lowers 6-8 feet every 6 hours or so.

Turns out Ben Affleck is filming his new movie "Live by Night". Mel Gibson spent a bunch of time filiming "The Edge of Darkness" on this bridge as well. In August we had Jenifer Lawrence downtown Haverhill filming "Joy". Year before that Denzel Washington filmied "The Equalizer" in an abandoned Lowe's here and before that "This Side of Truth" with Jennifer Garner at a retirement home.

The bridge is pretty cool. Used to be a covered one back in the day. Still opens manually with a three man crew and key they walk around and turn. Bridge was recently refurbished with a composite deck but the historical society refused to upgrade the opening to automated. They open this bridge quite a bit to let our and many other boats down to the ocean in spring and back to Haverhill for storage in the spring.

In May of 2006 we had a major flood. Our boat and one other were on the dock in Haverhill about to be washed away as the dock was breaking off. We convinced the bridge to open for us because the only solution was to lose the boats or ride the flood down to Newburyport closer to the ocean where the flow spread and slowed and could be docked safely 12 miles down river. Was quite the ride.

To put it in perspective the water was over the ice breaker and bridge supports lapping the bottom. The whole bridge was shaking. When they opened it the gear broke which had to be replaced during the rebuild. Now instead of a six man open they regeared it to a 3 man. Two hours notice 24/7 they open it. I did them a favor it appears.

Now you know a little more about Haverhill.

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 146
  • Bridge hill.jpg
    Bridge hill.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 151
  • firehouse.jpg
    firehouse.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 142