• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Squerly and friends build a house...

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly has been goofing off lately. Concrete should be cured by now to start framing. Of course, turkey hunting will be starting and that will slow things down.:whistling:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly has been goofing off lately. Concrete should be cured by now to start framing. Of course, turkey hunting will be starting and that will slow things down.:whistling:

North Carolina????,,,,We are talking turkey now,,,,and Bear if I'm not mistaken. Half the guys on the contruction crew will be in the woods

ylisa7

North Carolina????,,,,We are talking turkey now,,,,and Bear if I'm not mistaken. Half the guys on the contruction crew will be in the woods

Calling all turkeys...hop the border and come to my house:):)

Happy hunting.:)

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Had 31 turkeys and 11 deer out front this morning. Ain't no wonder I go through 2 bags of ear corn every couple of days. They have it so stomped and pecked up I will need to reseed after I clean up the cobs.:hammer::yum:

Attachments

• Turkey dance 3-15 004.jpg
    Turkey dance 3-15 004.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Corn pigs 005.jpg
    Corn pigs 005.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 106

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
If anyone gets bored we can go ice skate at Mules house!

attachment.php

Anyhow, we finally got some sun! We hydro-seeded the hill behind the house and got the sidewalk and furnace pad formed. Passed inspection this afternoon and will pour tomorrow AM!

Attachments

• tn_foundation-walkway 020.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 020.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 102
  • tn_foundation-walkway 021.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 021.JPG
    140.4 KB · Views: 106
  • tn_foundation-walkway 025.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 025.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 100
  • tn_foundation-walkway 032.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 032.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 102
  • tn_foundation-walkway 014.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 014.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 98
  • tn_foundation-walkway 031.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 031.JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks for the pictures. Now, with the added pours, the design is starting to make more sense.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Good news on the inspection, i cant wait until you start building the house.
Weather permitting we will start framing on Monday! :clap:
Thanks for the pictures. Now, with the added pours, the design is starting to make more sense.
Wait until you see the cool compass I will have imprinted in the downstairs patio cement! Pics tomorrow!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Where is the notch for the pipe and electric for the boiler? You do have the pipe in already I hope.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Where is the notch for the pipe and electric for the boiler? You do have the pipe in already I hope.
It's there, I just didn't post a picture with the proper perspective. I'll lift the boiler up and sit it right over the water pipe, which is now just draped over the furnace. The pad was originally 15' deep and 25' wide but I cut it back to 10'X25' because I wanted the extra 5' for the driveway. Helps me back my truck back around that area. And I still have 4' of concrete in front of the furnace which I feel should be enough room to keep my feet out of the mud.

Attachments

• tn_foundation-walkway 015.JPG
    tn_foundation-walkway 015.JPG
    147 KB · Views: 91

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the rest of the pad for? Woodshed? What had to be inspected? the walk?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
What is the rest of the pad for? Woodshed? What had to be inspected? the walk?
I've got room for a genset and the rest will be for wood. I'll have walls on all sides except the front so the wood should stay dry and it'll be easy to work with.

Yes, the walkway has to be inspected. Go figure...

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
We got the sidewalk poured and here is the compass that I mentioned. Also, check out the "stamped slate border" around the edges. Nice touch.

Attachments

• tn_compas 002.JPG
    tn_compas 002.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 72
  • tn_compas 003.JPG
    tn_compas 003.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 74
  • tn_compas 005.JPG
    tn_compas 005.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 75

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks real nice.

Should we tell him his compass is off? On my computer it's off by about 20 degrees in the first pic.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
A couple more pictures of the stamped slate border now that it's finished.

Attachments

• tn_mill creek 080.JPG
    tn_mill creek 080.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 72
  • tn_mill creek 081.JPG
    tn_mill creek 081.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 71

Kane

Squerly, whats becomes of the 2X4's used as forms along the existing floor slab? ... just as well, the 2X2's used earlier as forms for the floor pour along the foundation wall? A fool-proof form to hold grade, yes, but are they to be left in place?

Color me curious.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Squerly, whats becomes of the 2X4's used as forms along the existing floor slab? ... just as well, the 2X2's used earlier as forms for the floor pour along the foundation wall? A fool-proof form to hold grade, yes, but are they to be left in place?

Color me curious.
Dear Color-Me-Curious. This is special wood designed for one-time use. It was chosen especially because of its kamikaze traits and it will now spend the rest of eternity wedged between two concrete slabs. But don't feel bad for the wood, it knew its fate going in as only volunteers are accepted for the job. Thank you for asking!

Kane

Dear Color-Me-Curious. This is special wood designed for one-time use. It was chosen especially because of its kamikaze traits and it will now spend the rest of eternity wedged between two concrete slabs. But don't feel bad for the wood, it knew its fate going in as only volunteers are accepted for the job. Thank you for asking!
Sounds good to me. Been around the biz a long time and just never saw that before. I guess termites were an issue where I worked in the South and Mid-Atlantic. We always used a form-grade expansion board as the grade line along walls and slabs.

But jeeeezie. That Kamikaze-grade lumber must cost a fortune!

Gonna' be a beautiful home, squerly. I bet you're havin' a ball.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It is an expansion joint. I would have used treated outside though.

ylisa7

It's looking good. I love the compass in the concrete.

Do you have a picture of the floor plan? Are you putting glass on the front?

Need more info:):)

Great job. The weather is changing now so you should be ready to get a lot of work done now.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Lumber was delivered earlier in the week and today the framing starts!

Attachments

• tn_framing 010.JPG
    tn_framing 010.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 113
  • tn_framing 008.JPG
    tn_framing 008.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 112
  • tn_Framming 1 002.JPG
    tn_Framming 1 002.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 108
  • tn_Framming 1 003.JPG
    tn_Framming 1 003.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 109
  • tn_Framming 1 006.JPG
    tn_Framming 1 006.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Major thunderstorms came through last night and left us with considerable damage. Just spent $1,400.00 2 weeks ago to have everything hydro seeded. Now I'll have to bring in a track hoe to reach high enough to spread soil across the hill to fill the trenches caused by the storm. Mother nature can be a bitch!

Attachments

• tn_damage 001.JPG
    tn_damage 001.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 94
  • tn_damage 003.JPG
    tn_damage 003.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 95
  • tn_damage 004.JPG
    tn_damage 004.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 96
  • tn_damage 005.JPG
    tn_damage 005.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 94
  • tn_damage 006.JPG
    tn_damage 006.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 94
  • tn_damage 002.JPG
    tn_damage 002.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 94

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Look on the bright side, the swale worked. I have some wash on my lane from the cloudbursts we had. It is a swamp in the garden.Might want to try some of that coconut matting. Probably cheaper than hydro seeding.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Look on the bright side, the swale worked. I have some wash on my lane from the cloudbursts we had. It is a swamp in the garden.Might want to try some of that coconut matting. Probably cheaper than hydro seeding.
Yep, it could have been worse. I think I am done with hydroseeding. The grass doesn't germinate any faster and if a storm comes through it wipes out the whatever you happen to have done anyway. So spending the money on HS hasn't really helped me much. I would have been better off to toss some seed and throw some straw over it. Oh well, live and learn, right?