• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New to the forum snow ca owner

homegrowndiesel

After lurking for a while, I jumped in to the pool. Oh well , I guess I have joined the sickness. Hopefully , My first post works out . I had to bring this across the ferry to bring it home.

Attachments

• imp.JPG
    imp.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 594

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the club! :clap:

We are one of the newest of hobbies I figure. There are enough of us here to prove that it's not just me and a few others who suffers from the sickness of owning an old or new snow cat... it a growing trend! :brows::biggrin:

Some of us are older now first generation snow mobile riders who are enjoying a change of pace with a true sight seeing machine. Snowmobiles aren't as good at that these days at break neck speeds..

The machines are cool, and I would say the owners here are to! :biggrin:

Enjoy yourself here. Great place to be, and lots of knowledge shared here, so ask questions, and I bet you will get answers.. :smile:

Regards, Kirk

homegrowndiesel

Thanks Kirk
I will update my profile. Smile face. I live in Seaford Delaware.

I googled thiokol snow cats, and found this forum. Looks like a good group.
Thank you for the post.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum... and to the sickness.

I had to Google Seaford, Delaware. With an elevation of 40' I can't imagine you get much snow there. Just out of curiosity, where do you plan to use it?

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
We can't be picky on the east coast. Annual snow fall there is about 13 inches. All you need is one day and it is all worth it!

Welcome.

Last edited:

homegrowndiesel

Re: New to the forum snow cat owner

I have a a lot on oneida lake in NY. We usually get a couple good snow events here in Delaware also. Well I got her (1450 Super Imp) fired up today:clap: When someone did the tune up back in 08 they had the wire on the points touching ground. :hammer: When I bought it they gave me their repair invoices. I noticed the hours where they replaced points, condenser, plugs, wires and cap were the same as when I picked it up. Took me about an hour to find the connector wire had turned when they tightened the nut on the points. Sure was good to hear her purring like a kitten, er snow cat. She now has 396 hours on her. Now on to replacing all of the 35 year old stuff that keeps you from getting home.

homegrowndiesel

So I pulled the gas tank, fuel pump, One master cylinder, (Will replace the second, after I see how the 63 econoline master cylinder works, with the 1" bore versus the original 1 1/4" bore.) And surveyed what i need to do to use it this winter. I ordered the needed, master cylinder, fuel pump and starter Solenoid. I guess, I will have to pull the cab to replace the leaky radiator. Hopefully I can patch it , so I can play with it this winter. I do not have any hope I can even get to the leak on the 35 year old radiator, but,,,, I guess I have to get it done one way or another if I want to use it this winter. I found all of the bolts and wires I will have to remove, to seperate the cab from base, so as to remove radiator. I can see I will Have to replace the brake lines and a shitload of rubber hoses. I think I will take out the solenoid shut off on the fuel line. I also ordered a water pump, and starter as a good measure. Whoever enginered this thing should be shot. You cant get power tools on any bolt. The things WE get into! Luckily The (original Owner) State already put in the SS slave cylinders. I will pull the cover on the OC12 and check the brake bands, The one worked good, But I want to take a looksy. Oh well enough for today. :w00t2: I have visions of widened crew cabs dancing in my head.

Attachments

• IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_3056.JPG
    IMG_3056.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_3056 (2).jpg
    IMG_3056 (2).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_3054.JPG
    IMG_3054.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_3052.JPG
    IMG_3052.JPG
    186.8 KB · Views: 486

eegger

Hopefully joined group tonight.
Live in Steamboat springs, CO. retired (sort of) college prof. Learning how to be grease monkey! Bought a "76 1404 Imp two years ago and now have running but need alot of work on outside (wife thinks is ugly).
Looking for suggestions on getting many years of spray paint off and best aluminum finish.
Also other folks in Rocky Mountain area to talk and play with.
Thanks
EE

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
I think I will take out the solenoid shut off on the fuel line.

Are you going to remove and not replace the solenoid shut off on the fuel line? It is there for a reason and not just for looks. I have seen a snow cat catch on fire because the shut off valve was not working properly. :ermm:

homegrowndiesel

Hmm, thanks MT I guess I will rethink the removal. Thanks Galv. Well just needed a little trimming on the brake cylinder. after installing, found the brake line leaking. Yea, it looked rusty, it is, and will need replacing before I can do anything. On a good note the fuel tank turned out to be in great shape. will install the new fuel pump tomorrow. I was surprised on the offset bushing for the brake lever. cleaned, greased and replaced. I guess I will have fun tomorrow crawling under, over, and into the abyss to run new brake lines.

Attachments

• mc.JPG
    mc.JPG
    336.6 KB · Views: 408
  • im.JPG
    im.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 397
  • imp brake mod.JPG
    imp brake mod.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 409
  • imp arm.JPG
    imp arm.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 391
  • trimmed.jpg
    trimmed.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 393

Catavenger

SUPER Site Supporter
I have to admit that I can't use a snow cat in the scalding hot piece of desert where I live, never-the-less I bid you welcome.

homegrowndiesel

So, I replaced one of the rusty brake lines, front to back. (will replace the other soon) Bled the line on the new replaced master cylinder and line, as well as flushed the other side. Found the leak that I thought was the fuel line solenoid,, Turned out to be a previously frozen fuel filter. Installed the new fuel pump, and had to reroute the fuel lines. Reinstalled cleaned out gas tank, fired her up, and enjoyed my progress. I still have visions of a new, widened Crew cab , snowmobile hauling cat. I swear it is a sickness. :w00t2:

Yes, I have to seperate the cab from the base to remove the radiator. After cleaning out 35 years of crud, I found the leak in the radiator to be in the bottom corner , in an unaccessable location. WTF, who designed this? I could cut a hole in the top front to extract the radiator ,,, Hell there is a lid to fill the radiator, I could make it large enough to get the radiator out. I know the purists would be turning over in their graves. Who cares? My visions of the end result is a widened crew cab, and none of this stepped front, or any of the original cab will be left anyway.

Well at least I got it, Her, running well. Is this only me? I swear, it has to be a sickness. Pimp my snocat. I think I can put an extended ramp to load a snowmobile on, powered lift, ramp. Extended deployable sides to create a tent area.
I think I can move the drivers position forward 16" add 10" behind that to create a 26" crew cab. This ends up at the back of the existing fuel tank. I think I could put the skis under the crew cab seats?

I swear, it is a sickness.

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    364.2 KB · Views: 370

turbinator62

Site Supporter
SUPER Site Supporter
Hmm, thanks MT I guess I will rethink the removal. Thanks Galv. Well just needed a little trimming on the brake cylinder. after installing, found the brake line leaking. Yea, it looked rusty, it is, and will need replacing before I can do anything. On a good note the fuel tank turned out to be in great shape. will install the new fuel pump tomorrow. I was surprised on the offset bushing for the brake lever. cleaned, greased and replaced. I guess I will have fun tomorrow crawling under, over, and into the abyss to run new brake lines.

That sure looks like a 1970 Jeep master cylinder. You can get them on ebay for about 50 bucks. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Raybestos-M...m4af0d7eb66:m:mmNIatRhavXMe1dzcFGoOXA&vxp=mtr

Attachments

• s-l500.jpg
    s-l500.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 182