Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Agriculture & DIY Forums > Tractor Forum

Tractor Forum Buying, Pricing and General Tractor talk

Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 4,471 Times in 1,535 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough
Style: T66_BiggerFont
Default Kubota BX2200

My old Cub is still running but it is getting tired. I'm looking to maybe replace it with a Kubota. I've admired the BX series from a distance since they were introduced thinking they were well balanced for a homeowner with a few acres who occasionally wanted to do some work.

This particular one comes with the loader and belly mower and judging by the pictures it appears to be in pretty good shape. The only issues that came up online appeared to be hydraulic hoses failing and or leaking, otherwise they seem sound.

Anything else I should be looking for should I go look at it this afternoon?
Old 06-30-2014, 09:42 AM
Forum Admin

Thanked 20,175 Times in 7,336 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Kubota BX2200

BX's are great tractors. I suppose I should admit to being a bit biased. I was going to get a BX but ended up getting a bigger Kubota, the L series. I love the tractor. Have had it since 02 and it has served me well.

What year BX are you looking at, how many hours are on it and how much are they asking? These little boogers do hold their value pretty well. I shopped hoping to find a used one in decent shape but ended up buying new as I could not find a nearly new one for much less than the price of a new one. With discounts, zero percent financing and a warranty, new won out for me.

Sit in a few seats before you buy. Visit your local Kubota dealer also (or the dealer for any brand you are considering buying). When you buy you will end up in a relationship with the dealer. You want one you feel comfortable with that will get what you need and help when needed.

A front end loader is essential. It makes the tractor so much more useful for you. I did not realize this when buying but some folks in the know encouraged me to get the loader with the tractor (as I was going to wait a year or two so I did not have to finance as much). I listened to their advice and acted on it. I got the FEL cheaper since it was purchased with the tractor and I've been a happy camper ever since. I've used that loader for things I never ever conceived of when buying. It's great that the the tractor you are looking at already has one. A huge plus in my book.

Good luck.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 06-30-2014, 09:48 AM
Cold Member

Thanked 17,721 Times in 7,559 Posts
jim slagle is on a distinguished road

We have a BX2350 and it's great! It's small enough to maneuver around the barn and the stalls and it's powerful enough to get the job done.

One thing that's not a big deal is you need to bump the throttle up some above idle to get enough hydraulic pressure to operate the bucket.

There was a recall on the seats a few years ago. I don't know if it applied to the BX2200.

Jim

The United States Constitution 1787. All Rights Reserved

Sometimes I'm fast. Most of the time I'm half fast!

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together!

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate

FF REQUIRES NO PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM.
EVERYONE GETS ENOUGH EXERCISE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS, FLYING
OFF THE HANDLE, RUNNING DOWN THE MODERATORS, KNIFING FRIENDS IN THE
BACK, DODGING RESPONSIBILITY AND PUSHING THEIR LUCK.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:50 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the fast reply. This is as much as I've got so far.

Quote:
2003 Kubota BX2200 4wheel drive utility tractor with 615HRS. Belly mower, tiller and LA211 loader. Just had a full service on tractor in good condition. 3Cyl Diesel engine. $8,000
I'm hoping to get him down some if it checks out. After all don't we all inflate the price some to price in the dicker factor.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Jim I looked yours up and it's close to the same model and maybe utilizes the same mower deck. The lower part of my yard isn't really utilized. As such at the price of fuel I tend to let it get a bit tall before I knock it down.

My Cub handles tall grass horribly. In anyone's experience do Kubota's do a better job?
Old 06-30-2014, 10:21 AM
Cold Member

Thanked 17,721 Times in 7,559 Posts
jim slagle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My Cub handles tall grass horribly. In anyone's experience do Kubota's do a better job?
Ours does a fair job. Beth cut some stuff that was @4 ft the other day. The grass chute on ours is set pretty low and the grass balls up under the deck and kind of "burps" wads of grass when you turn. The fix is a bungee cord to hold the chute level or a little higher. In the high stuff set the deck as high as it will go and if it's thick you might need to take 1/2 or 2/3 bite at a time.

Jim

The United States Constitution 1787. All Rights Reserved

Sometimes I'm fast. Most of the time I'm half fast!

Never put off till tomorrow what you can avoid all together!

Friends come and go, but enemies accumulate

FF REQUIRES NO PHYSICAL FITNESS PROGRAM.
EVERYONE GETS ENOUGH EXERCISE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS, FLYING
OFF THE HANDLE, RUNNING DOWN THE MODERATORS, KNIFING FRIENDS IN THE
BACK, DODGING RESPONSIBILITY AND PUSHING THEIR LUCK.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,945 Times in 906 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

I don't have a BX but something I noticed with the newer sub-compact tractors.

Watch or check the height of the ROPS. I was on a new JD1000 series tractor last week and they made the ROPS 86" tall. Their reasoning is safety in roll-overs but the idiots didn't think about the fact most garage doors are 84" tall. If you pull in your garage forgetting to fold the ROPS, you're vulnerable to flipping over backwards.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer

jpr62902 will become famous soon enoughjpr62902 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bczoom View Post
I don't have a BX but something I noticed with the newer sub-compact tractors.

Watch or check the height of the ROPS. I was on a new JD1000 series tractor last week and they made the ROPS 86" tall. Their reasoning is safety in roll-overs but the idiots didn't think about the fact most garage doors are 84" tall. If you pull in your garage forgetting to fold the ROPS, you're vulnerable to flipping over backwards.
Not really. The BX is heavy enough that it will just nudge the garage door out of the way.

Trust me.

-- Sam
Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Good advice. If it is I have a welder and a cut off saw and it wouldn't be a issue for long.

Quote:
Ours does a fair job. Beth cut some stuff that was @4 ft the other day. The grass chute on ours is set pretty low and the grass balls up under the deck and kind of "burps" wads of grass when you turn. The fix is a bungee cord to hold the chute level or a little higher. In the high stuff set the deck as high as it will go and if it's thick you might need to take 1/2 or 2/3 bite at a time.
No kids will be running my equipment and those stupid spring loaded chute extensions will come off like my other mowers.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer

jpr62902 will become famous soon enoughjpr62902 will become famous soon enough

The BX2200 has a shorter ROPS that doesn't fold, btw.

-- Sam
Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

Everything sounds positive.. Just sent text to owner to set up an appointment. We'll see if he gets back to me and go from there. Who knows if this one fall through I'll probably be shopping for another one anyway...
Old 06-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Thanked 8,327 Times in 3,431 Posts
Melensdad has a spectacular aura aboutMelensdad has a spectacular aura about

My neighbor has a BX 2??? and its a great little tractor.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion:
the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases,
while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage
of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
- Ayn Rand
Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 3,725 Times in 1,633 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Bamby, for the most part they are excellent little tractors and they can do real work as opposed to a lawn tractor which will cut grass. I would have had one but I bought my B2400 before Kubota introduced the BX. They can literally do anything a big tractor can do only in much smaller bites.

If you would be doing much tall grass cutting I would suggest trading the tiller for a 4 foot bush hog for the PTO. I have a tiller and it's one of those tools that I used a lot when I initially bought it but in subsequent years, not so much. Once I had the gardens set up and tilled for the first time, I used it perhaps 30 minutes a year at most, just to run over the garden and incorporate organic matter before planting. As Doc said, make sure you get the FEL. Even if you never used for anything more that a mechanical wheelbarrow, it's a back saver. It takes less than 5 minutes to take off and put on.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 06-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Silver Member

Well I just got back from looking at it and I'm now a Kubota owner. It seemed solid mechanical wise in every way. It does have some apparent cosmetic damage but it's probably no worse than I would have done to it if I would have owned it since new. At least this way I can work and use it without worrying about scratching it up.

Machine, FEL, and rototiller for 7 G. Maybe not the best deal but it's in the lower end of the ones I found online.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM
Forum Admin

Thanked 20,175 Times in 7,336 Posts
Doc will become famous soon enoughDoc will become famous soon enough

With 600 hours on it that is a fantastic deal. Even if you had not got the rototiller with it that baby is at least worth 7k. and the rototiller is 800 to 1000 more. Way to go. And Congrats!!!! I dare say you are gonna LOVE it.

Other Fun Forums:

Net Tractor and RTV Talk + Net Cooking Talk
Old 06-30-2014, 08:37 PM
Gold Member

Congratulations Bamby. That's actually a great deal. 600 hours on that little diesel is nothing, almost new. It'll serve you for many years. When my B2400 was the only tractor I had I used it for everything from mowing the yard and pasture, tilling the garden, fertilizing, spraying, moving dirt and downed trees and was only putting a little over 200 hours a year on it. You'll be amazed at what it can do compared to a garden tractor.

Enjoy it and welcome to the compact/subcompact club.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
Old 06-30-2014, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

rlk is on a distinguished road

You got a great deal Bamby. I have a BX2200 that we bought in 2000. It's been flawless except for a few hydraulic hoses failing. Fortunately we have a company that comes to our house to replace the hoses.

I don't have a tiller, but have a fel and belly mower. The belly mower is a bear to remove, at least for me. It's tough for me to get the drive shaft connected.

I have a set of manuals so if you need anything, let me know and I'll scan the pages and email them to you.

Bob
Old 07-01-2014, 07:53 AM
Silver Member

Such a warm welcome to the family is truly appreciated.

I managed to get her home in one piece, or maybe I should say two. The belly deck had to be removed for the tractor to fit in my trailer.

Before reinstalling the deck to the tractor I went over it for grease fittings. Actually found quite a few but without the book I still may of managed to miss some. The owner just paid to have this machine serviced and it's evident in looking at the filters, etc. But it's also evident the service technician didn't grease a damn thing when he did it which equals out to pretty lousy servicing IMHO.

Anyway it was getting late in the evening but I took her down over the hill to try her out for a bit anyway. I have three phases of grass down there at the moment. From ready to mow, somewhat neglected at about 8", to it's going to seed and ready to cut and bale.

Shes performing flawlessly on the first two phases where I would expect it. But the going to seed pasture grass is proving out to be a real handful for her. She seems to have plenty of power to do the actual cutting itself. The issue seems to be in the deck actually clearing itself of all the grass without plugging itself up. But then again this is brush hog territory and asking any finish mower to handle it is expecting too much.

Now on to the roll-bar orchard and trees. Though this machines roll-bar isn't exceptionally high it's apparent it's still going to be into the lower limbs of my trees. In the Cub I could swivel and duck around to limbs and keep on going. With this machine moving me as an limb obstruction simply isn't going to work. If I were to remove the obstruction from the machine I'd be back to familiar territory on this tree issue. But at minimum I want to mow it a few times to familiarize myself with both the Kabota, and how much trimming I'll be forced to leave around all the trees.

Till later......
Old 07-01-2014, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,945 Times in 906 Posts
bczoom will become famous soon enoughbczoom will become famous soon enough
Style: T66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
The issue seems to be in the deck actually clearing itself of all the grass without plugging itself up.
A couple thoughts/ideas.

When my deck begins to clog, I shut down the mower. The caked on grass then falls out.

To keep grass from sticking, next time you clean the underside of your deck, coat it with a layer of Fluid Film.

If you have a shallow body of water (a few inches), put your deck over it and start it up. Slowly lower into the water until you get a good amount being picked up by the blades. That will basically pressure wash the inside of your deck.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:23 PM
Gold Member

Yea, that one-piece, solid roll bar can get "interesting" around tree limbs. More than once I've caught it running too close to a tree. One minute you're looking at the ground in front, the next you're looking a bright blue sky before crashing back down on all 4 tires again.

I adopted the 6 foot rule. No tree branches less that 6 feet off the ground. It's a bit hard to adhere to around some of the fruit trees but even those are trimmed high enough to get bye without hanging up.