• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Finding your missing best buddy

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I returned yesterday from a business trip to California to find out that my best buddy is missing. I spent all day yesterday hiking through woods, creeks, farm land and driving all over all the roads within a couple of miles from me. I have called our Humane Society, Animal Control, called the company and reported his microchip to be on the 'hot list' of missing dogs, and most every vet office. I'm going to call today to place a "lost" ad in our newspaper. I'm looking for any other ideas.

Here is a little background on preventative things I've done for both of my dogs; Dargo has a tattoo in his ear, a microchip implanted on him, a tag on his collar that has his name and my phone number, and he is wearing the receiver collar for our invisible fence system. I got up hours before dark and walked before dawn trying to listen for the jingle of his name tag and rabies tag as he walks around while all was quiet. It's cold and raining now so I'm going to buy some better gear to wear as I walk around in the woods and creeks and farm land in the rain.

Any other suggestions? I'd really like to get my buddy back.:(

beds

I had a Walker hound that used to run off for a day. I used to take some dirty shirts to the field I was looking in and put it by the path. I don't think it ever worked. Make sure someone is at home (if you can) while you're out looking for him in case he comes back. Good luck -that's a very anxious situation.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, I feel for ya. How long had he been gone?

The only other thing I can think of is to get the word out to all you neighbors, even ones a mile or two away. If he's been gone long they might have seen him one day or another. Maybe you can piece it together and pick up his trail. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent,

That sucks so much! I've read that it's best to post posters that state the dog has exensive health problems - then the people are less likely to want to keep him.

I've had friends who's dogs have gone missing and the "finder" then tried to extort money out of them later. I pitty the fool that tries this with you.

Good Luck in finding him. It's times like this that GPS pet trackers sound like a good idea.

PB

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, have you already notified all the neighbors? What about the 5 kids of yours, are they out walking the woods too? Have you printed up flyers to post on the utility poles, stop signs and anything else in the area that people might see? Also place a flyer in every mailbox you can find within a couple mile radius of your house. You may want to indicate that the dog needs anti-siezure meds if he is still taking those!!!

Good luck.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent ,
When I was a kid ,I lost my dog for 14 days . I was a fat kid ( still am) and the old dog was my best and most loyal friend . My brother had taken him out to try and hunt with him and when he fired off the rifle the dog took off for parts unknown .No one knew he was gun shy . After 13 days of trying everything we could think of with no luck ,a "old man" told me you put a pair of my unwashed jeans exactly where we lost that dog .
The next morning "Hobie" was laying on those jeans .
Try it !!
Good luck ,
Allen

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the ideas and support. I just spoke with our mailman (who really liked Dargo) and our meter reader (Dar would mug dog treats out of her pocket) and asked them to please look for him. I've contacted a few neighbors, but have not printed up any flyers. I do think it is a good idea you guys suggested to make sure I mention that Dar needs his anti-seizure meds. Our vet said that he could possibly start having seizures any time now since he has been missing since Friday night. Man, this sucks!

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
you said he has an invisible fence collar on.........turn the fence off! He may try to come back and not be able to get in the yard.

Hope you find him safe and happy!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Even though you have called all the animal shelters and veterinary offices, it is important to keep calling them at least once a day to follow up. Then start to visit the shelters to make sure that he isn't in one. I also hate to mention this, but it is necessary. Call the highway departments and see if they might have picked up a carcass. Also the local police departments and state police or highway patrol. Dogs get hit by autos and many times the accident will be reported to the departments. I know how frantic it is to look for a dog and not be able to find him. How did he get out of the yard?? Is it possible that he was stolen? That would put a whole new aspect on his being missing. Junk.

BadAttitude

Brent...think positive!! He's most likely still in the neighborhood. Based on what you've said about your GSD's and being well trained, maybe he chased after another dog or animal??

I lost Shelby @ 6 months old(no training at all!!) and she spent a week chasing a farmer while he plowed his fields. A neighbor spotted her in the woods early one Saturday morning, but she ran off again. When we went back to thje spot and called her name, she appeared out of nowhere. Considering her age at the time...I was lucky.

You did what I did...spread the word to everyone around you, including the meter reader and postal delivery. If you have a UPS guy that makes local deliveries, tell him too.

Any chance you can take Bruno along and maybe he can track Dargo? I wish you the best and will keep him in my thoughts for a safe and happy return.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Junkman said:
Call the highway departments and see if they might have picked up a carcass. How did he get out of the yard?? Is it possible that he was stolen? That would put a whole new aspect on his being missing. Junk.

Thanks Junk. My aunt works as dispatch for the highway department and she has most of the highway crew keeping an eye out for him. Since I wasn't here, I don't know how he got out. It is possible that he was stolen. Unfortunately he would get into anyone's car who offered him a ride and had a treat. Although he is very smart and well trained, he never quite got the 'don't ever get into a car with a stranger' thing. That is part of the reason I've contacted all vets in the area to ask them to make sure they scan for microchips all GSD's that they don't know. Since it's possible that he may have a seizure without his meds, he may end up at a vet if he was stolen.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I had a dog stolen many years ago. She was my personal dog, but also the unofficial mascot of the emergency squad. The local paper picked up the story and ran with it and a picture of the dog on the front page. The caption was "WANTED"..... We got her back in 2 days when the people that took her realized that they couldn't keep her hidden any longer. Junk....

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent,

I have no advise other then what's already been offered.

I had a private prayer with my daughter (as hers always come true) followed by a family prayer for the safe and timely return of Dargo.

Our best wishes are with you.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Brian. Another day of searching down with no results. With all the time and all the help I've recruited, I've covered most every area within nearly 2 miles. I'm beginning to think that this story is not going to have a happy ending. This will end day 3 of him not getting his meds. The sudden stop to his meds will have a very bad effect and, according to the vet, could possibly be fatal in itself. I've been up too many days now anyway. I'll have to slow the search efforts now.

BoneheadNW

Dargo, while I have no other suggestions and there is nothing I can say to make you feel better, know that you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers. I hope that you find your best friend soon and in good health.:thumb:
Bonehead

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Brent, I hate to suggest this, but have you carefully checked your own property? If his medicine was not keeping his health up to par, he may have taken refuge in his favorite hiding spot, and simply passed away.

I really feel for you my friend, I truly do.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, having previously owned a dog who had siezures, I can suggest that I think Dargo may have found a comfortable spot and he simply may not be able to get up. I would continue to suggest a slow and very complete search of everyplace he would normally go. Don't give up hope yet and carry his phenobarbitol with you when you search he will need it.

dzalphakilo

Banned
When and if you put the flyers up, laminate them for the weather, mention on the add that there is a reward, mention your family (make it "personal"), and also state that you will take the add down in a certain time frame (I'd suggest at least leaving it up a month). Mark where you placed all the adds so you can get to them later.

Check ALL animal resuce groups, including the "pure breed" groups who specialize in Dargo's breed. Let them know all about Dargo as well.

If you can't find Dargo on your property, don't be afraid to "extend" the radius (mileage wise) of the flyers.

Your right, he could of been picked up by a stranger. Had this happen with an Akita (sp?), family last year found him 40 miles away from the house, 2 months later afterthe dog was "lost".

Another spot to think about (flyers) is if there are any truck stops on a nearby interstate/highway.

There may be some local internet sites in your area that may also specialize in finding lost dogs/pets.

Make sure you leave a flyer at all the local animal shelters as well. You would be surprised at some of the people who work there, don't assume anything.

Seems like your doing all that is possible, and thats all you can ask of yourself.

Good luck.

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'd also like to point out that sometimes there are happy endings. Last week the lovely Mrs_B found a small 'stray' in the middle of Route 2 in Lowell. This is a rural busy highway that runs through town, the dog was in the middle of the road confused and cars were passing it from both directions. My wife stopped traffic and picked the dog up.

The dog was happy, friendly, reasonably clean and obviously lost. She took the dog to the only animal hospital in town, but they had no clue who the dog belonged to. No tattoo. No microchip. So she called around and she talked to the vet. The suggestion was to take the dog to a rescue shelter in Crown Point, about 10 miles away. We could not take the dog into our house because of the 2 we already have. During the process my wife called a few other places but drove up to Crown Point. As she was in the lobby, an elderly man walked into the shelter and claimed the dog was his . . . a call simultaneously came into the shelter from the animal clinic my wife visited as a frantic older woman had gotten word that her little dog was taken there. Turns out the man and woman were husband and wife, the dog had been lost for a couple of days, and my wife & daughter were happy to hand over their dog to its owners. This all happened last Thursday.

Don't give up hope.

working woman

Site Supporter
here is another suggestion. Tape lost posters in
all your vehicles.

Here is a web site that you might want to visit to give you some more suggestions. The lost and found animals are only in NC but still a great site for tips.

WWW.lassiecomehomenc.org

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I was going to post a copy of the laminated flyer I've been putting out, but it is too large to upload. I can't get my mind on work, so I'm back out trying to find him today. Thanks so much for the ideas and moral support.

kensfarm

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I actually found a dog last night driving home from work.. he was coming across the neighbor's farm field.. I stopped the car and he came up to me.. checked his tags and could tell by the phone number he was a good ways from home. He was wet, cold, & tired.. I told him to get in.. and he curled up in the back seat. Called as soon as I got home.. the owners showed up promply.

My fiance lost my dog last year.. I was an hour away at work.. now my farm is 85 acres.. (Just as an example of how hard it is to see/find something.. I had 4 or 5 young steers get out one day.. I drove my tractor all over the farm looking for them... no luck.. I went back to where I had seen tracks.. and started tracking.. found them in 10 minutes.. I must've drove past them several times as they were hanging out in a dip in the hillside enjoying the sunny day on there newly found hay field)

We ended up finding my dog about a mile from the farm.. he was in a backyard that was fenced in w/ the owners dogs.. I guess my dog was hanging out talking to them.. outside the fence.

First thing.. get help.. friends, neighbors.. dog lovers.. have several cars driving around... w/ a couple of kids in each car.. to do the door bell ringing.. and call for the dog at each stop.. have cell phones to keep in touch. Keep one person home to continue to call for him & search local.
I wish you the best of luck.. I know it's a gut wrenching time.. be positive.. you'll find him!!!

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I was going to post a copy of the laminated flyer I've been putting out, but it is too large to upload. I can't get my mind on work, so I'm back out trying to find him today. Thanks so much for the ideas and moral support.

I've resized the flyer for Brent.

jpg and pdf attached.

Jim

Attachments

• dargo_lost2.jpg
    dargo_lost2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 168

Spiffy1

Huh?
SUPER Site Supporter
Please don't take my twisted attempt to lift your spirits wrong, but I couldn't resist a double take on the wording of a certain sentance:

"He is our beloved family pet and desperately needs his medication."

Sorry about that, and even more so that he's missing in the first place.:(
Actually, I was really impressed with your flyer. Best of luck finding him!

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brent, would you prefer we block out your phone numbers? This forum is open to the world ...and this post will be around for years to come.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
Good point Doc!.......

Brent, you are getting alot of good help here. I hope it brings Dargo home! My wife and I have had this conversation numerous times about how we think we would deal with the loss, temporary or otherwise, of Ginger and Jackson. Best wishes for a safe and speedy return of your "Buddy"

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Doc....... and others...... we can remove the poster once we have a final outcome of the situation. Hopefully it will be a favorable result. We all are praying and crossing our fingers for Dargo's safe and speedy return. Junk... taking my dogs to be chipped tomorrow....

BadAttitude

Junk...'chipped' as in GPS trackable? If so, any idea of the cost?

Brent...still hoping and praying for a safe return.
BA

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
Just the standard ID chip....... $38 for the chip and $15 registration fee from what I remember them saying. They both need heartworm checks, LOF, rotate the paws, etc.....