• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

bombardier j5 final gear ratio? ?????

duckscarfer

Does anyone know the final gear ratio of a 1965 j5? At the very least does anyone know the gear ratio of the drive diff????

IMP

Site Supporter
I copyied my J5 manual from an old timer who was a mechanic his whole career. He wrote a note in the manual that says " To find the Differental gear ratio count the teeth on the Crown gear and divide by the number of treeth on the Pinion shaft". His example said his Muskeg had a ratio of 5.83 : 1 gear ratio. If you want a copy of the original note of his send me your email and I will forward it.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Does anyone know the final gear ratio of a 1965 j5? At the very least does anyone know the gear ratio of the drive diff????

I think yours had a 4 Speed when I had it.

1st 6.69
2nd 3.34
3rd 1.79
4th 1.00 all times 5.83 for the final ratio

or

1st 39to1
2nd 19.47to1
3rd 10.43 to 1
4th 5.83 to 1
reverse 46.64 to 1

duckscarfer

Boggie thanks for the info. I was hoping you would see my post. Do you know which four speed trans it actually is? I can't find any tags on it. Trying to find out if I can adapt it to a small block chevy.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Boggie thanks for the info. I was hoping you would see my post. Do you know which four speed trans it actually is? I can't find any tags on it. Trying to find out if I can adapt it to a small block chevy.

new process 435 if you find the right bellhousing it should work

duckscarfer

Boggie do you remember how good the diff was in my j5 I haven't had it apart yet. Just curious if I need to fix it before the small block swap

duckscarfer

I see you have a web site. Do you sell parts for j5's ie diff parts (case I break something ) and track parts like grousers? When I call do I ask for Boggie?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
we have all the repair parts for the diff. Boggie works maybe that will
get you the good member price