• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

SupraP83

hey everyone i found this forum because i was trying to find out what i saw in the junkyard today. comparing the pics i took to the pics i found on the internet i think it could be a late 70s early 80s bombardier bombi? not sure though. it is definitely a big peice of rust and in need A LOT of wor!. it no longer has a cab, in fact the tranny was just sittin under the driveing levers, and was growing moss in the floor boards. but when i saw it all i could think about was how fun it would be to take through the woods and play in the mud so if anyone could tell me how to find out what yr and model this is and a guesstimate of its worth, if anything at all, feel free to give your opinion. im not sure if i could even get parts for it.

Attachments

• project 4.jpeg
    project 4.jpeg
    60.4 KB · Views: 251
  • project 5.jpeg
    project 5.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 254
  • project 6.jpeg
    project 6.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 248
  • project 3.jpeg
    project 3.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 242

Bobcat

Je Suis Charlie Hebdo
GOLD Site Supporter
Yup, probably a Bombi. Boggie or Pixie would know something about these and you can expect them to chime in soon. I'm sure Boggie will have, or can find, parts for it.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Chime,Chime, OK BOOBCAT, I,ve chime in now, Yep Bombardier Bombi, 1.6 English ford Industrial with a english pinto 4 speed manny tranny. 24 inch aluminum tracks which look to be the best part of the find. tracks are worth about 1000 alone diff is worth about the same if good. the rest well, it gone
if the serial number is there the four and fith digit are the year. :whistling:
chiming out.

hey everyone i found this forum because i was trying to find out what i saw in the junkyard today. comparing the pics i took to the pics i found on the internet i think it could be a late 70s early 80s bombardier bombi? not sure though. it is definitely a big peice of rust and in need A LOT of wor!. it no longer has a cab, in fact the tranny was just sittin under the driveing levers, and was growing moss in the floor boards. but when i saw it all i could think about was how fun it would be to take through the woods and play in the mud so if anyone could tell me how to find out what yr and model this is and a guesstimate of its worth, if anything at all, feel free to give your opinion. im not sure if i could even get parts for it.

SupraP83

thats what i wanted to hear! the thing is, i dont know where to get parts for it. Is it hydraulic? what other motor and trannys could i put in it? is that tranny build just like any other? i mean the motor is facing the oppostie direction ( how does that work?). the guy that has it says he knows nothing about it which could be bullshit but really neither do i so im not sure what to offer him i want to at least sound like i know what im talking about. but as soon as i tell him what it is, hell just look it up and ill be screwed. id like to tell him 500 and 50 to fix the trailer so i can haul it out. does that sound legit?..... here some pics of the track and can anyone tell what that box is?

Attachments

• project 3.5.JPG
    project 3.5.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 207
  • project 8.jpeg
    project 8.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 212
  • project 7.jpeg
    project 7.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 209
  • project 9.jpg
    project 9.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 206

brianf

tracks look good, sprockets are ok, new ones are only around $200, should be a bearing cover on sprocket, axle and spindle are hard to come by,those straps by front heater are for gas tank,
if motor turns over most parts you can get from auto parts store, using 1970-71 pinto or cortina,
if you can buy it for 500 would be a fun little project, only thing is alum tracks are mostly for snow and mud,gravel will eat them up pretty fast
here is a picture of a industrial bombi all it came with is front cab part and roll bar the rest was home made

Attachments

• DSCI0024[1].JPG
    DSCI0024[1].JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 199

SupraP83

well i live in central pa we barely ever get snow, at least we havent the last few years.....has anyone ever made summer tracks using the winter ones ( if by winter tracks you mean rubber and all ) i want to spend the least possible but i dont want run it half a summer and be forced to park it either.

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
tracks look good, sprockets are ok, new ones are only around $200, should be a bearing cover on sprocket, axle and spindle are hard to come by,those straps by front heater are for gas tank,
if motor turns over most parts you can get from auto parts store, using 1970-71 pinto or cortina,
if you can buy it for 500 would be a fun little project, only thing is alum tracks are mostly for snow and mud,gravel will eat them up pretty fast
here is a picture of a industrial bombi all it came with is front cab part and roll bar the rest was home made

If you need axles or spindles we make them as needed. we stock tires,wheels,tracks,aluminum cleats,spindles,flaxators (rubber mounted block the axle is on) the ring and pinion is a Dana clutches are hard find but can be rebuilt. just buy it.......... if not let me know and I will:smile:

brianf

the 18" steel tracks (all season) are pretty tough tracks,over the years driving over rock ,mud,snow I have broken only a handfull of grousers, they are fairly easy to come by with a little research, I am sure alot of bombi owners on the east coast would probally trade their 18"steel tracks and $500 to $1000 to upgrade to the winter alum tracks,
if you go through this forum you will find most of the value(expense) in machine is tracks and diff,motors and transmissons are fairly cheap

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I have several sets of summer tracks if you would like a trade and some cash
the summer tracks are new take offs. back when people bought Bombis some bought the summer tracks and never use them. so some are available.
:wink:

SupraP83

sounds good. give me about a month to find out if i can get this thing and well go from there.....i really appreciate all the help, ill probly be asking alot of dumb questions along the way (sorry)! i dont have much mechanical experiance.....rebuilt one motor, and couldnt tell u how i did it but it runs great....by the way can someone explain how the drive train works....backwards?

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
as in most any differential used in most tracked rigs dependingi on the cut of the gears. most are right hand ring left haned pinion. but by flipping the carrier inside the differential case you can make them run either way.

there are planetaries in the differential which are contrlled by a steering band when you apply the steering band on one side it reduces its speed and transfers it to the other side then one side will go 1/3 speed and the other will go 2/3 speed you do lose some hp in theis process. and the byproduct
generated is heat in the steering band. so when you turn use short applied pressure and do not pull and hold the steering lever. it causes premature wear and heat on the steering bands. if the steering bands have been sitting to long they may have gone soft. the older materials used in steering bands
was prone to this. especially if they were using 80-90 weight oil. we now custom make steering bands with kevlar in them and have been very pleased.with the lockup and the life of the bands.

good luck......................