• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

my new 1542

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
Dave,

I enjoyed the videos. Looks like a fun machine!!!

You may not be aware of this.... While the data plate on your Tucker may say "1542", the carriers on the machine have four idler wheels, which are 1300 series carriers. 1500 series carriers have five idler wheels, and their overall length is about six inches longer (76" versus 70").

I tried to get a good look at your de-icer wheels. Those are the rear idler wheels on each carrier. Yours are what I call the "modular style" in that they have replaceable UHMW plastic rings. My impression from looking at the first video is yours are worn out. The UHMW rings should be the part of the de-icer wheel that contacts the grouser track guides, but my impression is they are worn to the point that the rings are flush with the center steel plates the rings bolt to, so the steel rings are contacting the grouser track guides as well.

There's good news and bad news about UHMW rings. They are no longer available from Tucker. If you call the factory, they will offer to sell you some new de-icer wheels at a price that may have you gasping for air (no kidding). At that point I think your best option would be to get some new rings made from UHMW plastic. I know forum member Rob Miller has made some, and he would be a great resource of information on the how-to. The good news is getting new rings made will cost a small fraction of new de-icer wheels from Tucker.

I'm sorry to be essentially the bearer of bad news, but I thought you would probably like to know that information.

I was under the impression that the 5 in 1500 series stood for 5 wheels, I'm a little stumped by this as well with mine having 4 spindle carriers. I had a 1300 series machine once and that one also had 4 wheels per carrier. My 1300 had no Ice breakers, just regular idlers all around. You are right, my deicer wheels are shot. I've seen posts like you mentioned where new rings were made and also where the steel centers where turned down so that the worn plastic rings would once again stand proud past the steel.

I was also considering just buying idlers that have been refaced with the harder "de icer" compound and running those. My regular idlers have seen better days as well, should be re-faced.

Maybe I will contact tucker with my serial number and see if they can provide me with a build sheet.

wow, They were very fast to reply!

build%20sheet_zpstnzqxiou.jpg
[/IMG]

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Here’s one for you. My cat is a 1443 with 5 wheels. Converted from pontoons to rubber tracks at the factory.

A=B, B=C, but at Tucker A and C are not equal.

Logger1965

GOLD Site Supporter
Hmmmm odd my 1344 only has 4 wheel carriers, 1542 with 4 wheel carriers what is the deal there? I may be confused but I thought the bigger machines had longer carriers.

Nikson

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Ah, this is all so confusing... LOL...

I think I might go back to my simple 8x8 Centaur and Frandee... :)

Although, my 1544 does have 5 wheels

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Another snip-it of info I forgot I had stored away:

Attachments

• Tucker1400-1500Specs.jpg
    Tucker1400-1500Specs.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 354

BearGap

GOLD Site Supporter
Very nice machine. Love that Detroit sound!!! We used to stop the mill and run outside to listen to the 12V92 powered chip truck leave.