• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I could use your vote, takes about 1 minute ...

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was nominated for, and won, a regional award for olympic style sport fencing. Now all the regional winners are up for a national award.

The regional award is a merit award for based on contributions to the sport fencing community. The national winner is mostly a popularity contest because most fencing students only compete regionally. The coastal regions are better established than the midwest, so I'm sort of an outlier in this. I'm the only person from Indiana to ever make it this far in the annual awards, I'm also the 2nd oldest person up for the award.

I'd really appreciate it if you could vote for me. Anyone can vote, so if you have family or friends willing to help that would be great too.

Link to the Link that allows you to vote (click on the Voting graphic to take you to the actual vote) —> Vote for Bob Skurka https://www.usafencing.org/news_art...wEw8QMn5NcEJStodAPfmH4pCjYGE4ecwzsmqPef1uRJTo

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was nominated for, and won, a regional award for olympic style sport fencing. Now all the regional winners are up for a national award.

The regional award is a merit award for based on contributions to the sport fencing community. The national winner is mostly a popularity contest because most fencing students only compete regionally. The coastal regions are better established than the midwest, so I'm sort of an outlier in this. I'm the only person from Indiana to ever make it this far in the annual awards, I'm also the 2nd oldest person up for the award.

I'd really appreciate it if you could vote for me. Anyone can vote, so if you have family or friends willing to help that would be great too.

Link to the Link that allows you to vote (click on the Voting graphic to take you to the actual vote) —> Vote for Bob Skurka https://www.usafencing.org/news_art...wEw8QMn5NcEJStodAPfmH4pCjYGE4ecwzsmqPef1uRJTo

Voted for some guy named Bob in Indiana :mrgreen:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks all.

If you are from Chicago I understand you can vote TWICE and your dead relatives are allowed to vote too.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Done. Sure sounds like an honor to even be nominated. Great job Bob. Hope you win!!!!!

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I feel dirty, like I just stuffed a ballot box.:bolt:

Good luck Bob!

Friend of mine (yes, I have a friend) and his wife are on a trip. They are voting every time they stop for a meal and then when they get to the next hotel. Apparently the voting is limited to 1 vote per IP location? So they just keep voting as they they travel along their route.

That is even more creative than Chicago democrats :laugh3:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
My goal is to come in any place other than LAST place.

Honestly don't expect to win, certainly I'd love to do so, it would be an honor, but I think the Regional award is really the award of "merit" and the national award is just a social media campaign to see who can round up the most votes. The regional award winners are selected out of a group who were nominated, and in most cases nominated by people outside of your own club. Certainly some coaches are nominated by their students. Some students nominated by their coach. But most are, like me, nominated by other clubs or other athletes from outside of your immediate circle.

If I lose, which I expect, then it's largely because I don't have the national name recognition of a couple of the other regional winners. And certainly there are deserving candidates who have been around doing lots of good stuff for longer than me.

In any case, I will get a free T-Shirt as a consolation prize :punk:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well I just don’t have a strong national presence or reputation. I’m known locally. Some others are far better known nationally.