• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Church greed

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK, I know I'm stepping on touchy ground here but I just need to know.

Don't know if any of you recall, but we'ree building a new home for a family of 6 kids who lost their mom in a car accident earlier this year. Through volunteers, and people/company contributions, it's almost done.

Their church assisted in a limited manner but initially insisted that all donations/contributions to this initiative that came through the church was 50% church money. It took a lot of fighting but they decided to relinquish their 50%.

Now, we're having a book sale/craft fair. The primary coordinator of the event (who isn't even a member of that church) arranged everything but was looking for a place to hold the event. The benefactors of the event were widespread. The church obliged. But... they (the church) told us today (the book sale/craft fair is tomorrow) that all proceeds/money collected goes to the church and not to any of the benefactors that the participants anticipated.

My MIL has been in intensive care and then hospice for the better part of 2 months. Somehow, my MIL bounced back and they say she'll live. But... The meds she requires are (out of pocket) over $100/day. We took over 1200 books out of my MIL's house to sell to try to cover the expenses but now the church says they get all the money. Obviously, our books aren't going to the sale.

Why is the Catholic Church so greedy? Is this a isolated thing or ???

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Who exactly within the church is saying they get all the money? Your priest? The board of elders? The secretary? Regardless of the type of organization, unfair is unfair. Even at this late of an hour, if you cannot get a straight answer, I would pull my families property from the sale just as you mentioned.

Personally, religion and I parted ways in my youth, and greed was the least of the problems I encountered.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Brian, not sure that I understand the specific circumstances in your situation, but I'm a Catholic born, raised and remained, and I've not seen what you are seeing. I'm just guessing it is an isolated thing, perhaps the policy of the local parrish? Perhaps the diocese policy?

I'm not saying that the church does not ask for its share, but I've never seen it demand it in any of the 3 parrishes I regularly attended in my life.

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
I have heard that the bible is considered a powerful book, but I never heard of anyone being held up by it. That doesn't sound like a church, but it does sound like a strong arm thug with a black robe. I would pull out and take as many people along with me that I could. Then let everyone know why you pulled out and see how they like the bad press. Thieves by any other name are still thieves. In G-d we trust... all others pay cash.... :whistle:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Dave/Bob,

I'm not a member of that church and have no idea who's idea it was. All I know is that they wouldn't give us the space to sell the books without the proceeds going to the church.
I'll know more tomorrow but I have a feeling that many other sellers may be pulling out as well.

Bob - What does/should the Catholic church consider it's share?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Dave/Bob,

Bob - What does/should the Catholic church consider it's share?

Well in the case of a charity event for a person or family, the church's share would be 0.0% from my experience. Spaghetti suppers and things like that are often held for the benefit of the ill, etc and those are pitch in events, the hall is donated, etc.

What I meant with the church will take its share is that my experience with the Catholic Church is that they are not shy about asking for donations. I've got some exposure with other denominations, while some virtually require donations (tithing, pledges, etc), the Catholic Church does not, but makes up for it by constant requests for donations.

The problem is that each parrish priest can set his own policies on things and nobody really can question him on most issues except his bishop. In most other Christian churches, the brother/minister/etc is often essentially a hired hand who must answer to the congregation and/or its elders. Since the priest essentially has 100% control over his parrish, it strikes me that the local parrish (or the larger diocese) has some sort of policy on fund raisers, that or the priest is not quite ethical, or something else.