• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Oil, Greed, and Manipulation

Bamby

Canny traders stow cheap oil at sea
Crude stored in tankers to cash in on next year's contract delivery prices
Jan 08, 2009 04:30 AM
Tyler Hamilton
Energy Reporter

For sale: two million barrels of offshore oil. No drilling required.
General expectations for a rebound in oil demand during the second half of the year have opened the door for traders to play a high-stakes game of arbitrage.
They're chartering massive vessels known as supertankers in growing numbers to capitalize on unusually large spreads between current oil prices and prices being paid for future deliveries.
For example, oil for December 2009 delivery is priced $15 (U.S.) a barrel above current levels.
To capitalize on this, the traders are stockpiling huge volumes of oil at today's prices, while locking in a profit by contracting to make future deliveries at richer prices.
Their customers are willing to pay future premiums based on expectations that oil's supply-and-demand picture will eventually tighten as the economy regains health.
Oil prices have been rebounding in recent weeks, but they were clobbered yesterday as renewed fears of a glut surfaced. Crude prices for delivery next month fell 12 per cent, the largest drop in seven years, after a U.S. report showed an unexpectedly big jump in supply.
But stowing crude at sea is "exactly what we'd expect to happen if people today think the price is too low," said Joseph Doucet, a professor of energy policy at the University of Alberta.
He said traders renting tankers for arbitrage purposes are taking a chance, but there's nothing illegal about stockpiling. "What you're not allowed to do is collude with another party to influence prices."
A barrel of sweet crude for February delivery plunged to $42.63 (U.S.) on the New York Mercantile Exchange yesterday, after the report from the U.S. Energy Information Administration showed commercial crude inventories last week increased by 6.68 million barrels.
Still, the prevailing economics have traders excited by an opportunity called "contango" – a situation when a non-perishable commodity such as oil gets more expensive as deliveries extend into the future.
Based on yesterday's closing price, buyers of oil are prepared to pay $47.39 a barrel for March delivery, $54.41 a barrel for July delivery and finally $59.49 a barrel for delivery in January 2010.
Analysts say the opportunity to buy oil at less than $43 and sell it in the futures market for 40 per cent more, for delivery a year from now, is too profitable to resist.
It's just one of many ways traders play the market, and part of the reason why it's so difficult to get an accurate handle on the mysterious and often volatile movement of day-to-day oil prices. "If I could do that, I'd be on the beach someplace," joked Doucet.
Frontline Ltd., one of the world's largest owners of supertankers, revealed yesterday that oil traders have tried to charter as many as 10 vessels. That's on top of about 25 supertankers reportedly already reserved for storage purposes.
The big tankers, if stood on end, would be as tall as the 102-storey Empire State Building in New York.
"The carriers hold about 2 million barrels of crude and traders are seeking to lease the ships for three to nine months," wrote Addison Armstrong, director of research at Stamford, Conn.-based Tradition Energy, in a research note.
Even including storage, insurance and other costs, the potential payoff is generous. Traders can also take advantage of bargain charter rates prevailing for supertankers.
The practice of physically storing oil at sea isn't new but often stirs up controversy, particularly when pump prices climb and commodity speculators attract anger.
It was reported last month that the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission is investigating energy traders who store oil in tankers as part of a larger study of wild volatility in the market.
With files from Star wire serviceshttp://www.thestar.com/Business/article/563455

xsinawl

This is a typical commodities routine. I have some wheat in the same situation. Unless you can corner the market somehow you can lose as well as gain. Just the cost of renting the containment is eating some profits already.

Bamby

But in this case if enough of them do it they can create a shortage for themselves. Tie up enough tankers and effectively you've created a shortage. If they were paying for storage that did not or could not tie up transportation they would be in a far riskier position. Can you do that with your wheat?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm surprised to see the price below $60 in Jan. 2010. I hope the speculators are right and it stays below $60 for the next year. :thumb:

I would think the cost of a supertanker just sitting idle would be horrendous and eat up any profits ... but what do I know. :confused:

The Tourist

Banned
This is where a come-back gets dicey.

The reason the price of oil dropped is primarily twofold. One, worldwide demand dropped, and second, The Ukraine is playing a very serious game of chess with Russia.

(The Ukraine is playing 'gatekeeper' with Russian oil and gas earmarked for Europe. As long as Russia can't sell their portion, we have a 'surplus.' No one is going to bet the farm only to have The Ukraine open the spigot and drown the world in cheap energy.)

As for the USA, there is no 'demand.' We're still shutting down factories and laying off workers. Our holiday season was a bust, and our summer vacation time will probably follow in the same path.

However, if that changes, and people go back to work, the price of oil might rise just as people are re-investing in business.

In other words, just as things get better, the oil producers bleed off the profits. Back to lay-offs.

That's why the smart money suggests we are in for two years of this crap.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Didn't anyone watch "60 Minutes" on Sunday where they did a segment on commodity price manipulation.

It seems that the $145/bbl oil wasn't the result of oil company gouging or shortage of supply. It was purely the result of Wall Street commodity brokers and investment banks selling futures among themselves in order to drive the price up. It was an interesting piece.

I did learn one other thing, ExxonMobil isn't the largest oil company in the US. That honor belongs to JP Morgan. Don't you just love that. The Government is giving them your tax dollars so they, in turn, can screw you again on the price of oil and gas. Now that is what I call irony.

The Tourist

Banned
commodity brokers and investment banks selling futures among themselves in order to drive the price up

However, sooner or later you have to deliver the products at a price that provides a profit.

For example, take the old canard about soy beans, and their 'futures.'

One broker 'buys' my future production of soy beans, another buys your future production.

However, before delivery, a tornado hits my beans and destroys the entire crop. This is not manipulation. Even if a broker intended to manipulate the price, he still has to deliver goods for a profit.

In my imaginary scenario, my broker went bankrupt and your broker made more than he imagined.

And so it is with oil. Sooner or later you have to deliver something black and slippery for a profit.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Sooner or later you have to deliver something black and slippery for a profit.

I agree but one snippet from the program was that, during that period of time, one barrel of oil produced was bought and sold 27 times on the exchange before it came to market. You can bet it wasn't sold at a loss 27 times!!!!!!

As far as delivery is concerned, that is what makes JP Morgan the largest oil company in the US. The have thousands upon thousands of barrels in storage waiting for winter weather (or more manipulation) to drive the price up before they release it. Yes, they are gambling but they can't lose if the taxpayer bails them out every time.

Bamby

If you happen to be a farmer you'd probably or should have crop insurance to cover you losses. If you are a broker he pays on delivery so he's out nothing if you can't deliver. But if enough farmers cannot deliver for crop failure the price of soybeans in your example goes substantially up. In reality the broker stands to lose nothing and has everything to gain. Except in the case production comes in far higher than expected.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
The average cost of extraction and delivery to its final destination is about 20 bucks. The rest is all profits. Most of that profit goes to the owner of the oil. 95% of ALL oil is owned by governments. Then the givernmet taxes it again at 18.5 cents at a federal level, and yet again at the state level.

6 months ago, 60 minutes and the MSM were bitchin and hollerin about the oil company executives, senatirs were swearing at them, etc. Looks like the oil guys were right. All they can do is go along for the ride.

If anybody thinks parking ships at sea full of oil is going to drive oil up or down, well, you are greatly mistaken. How many ships are there, and how much total could they store? How much is used every day. You found yoyr answer.

The oil in the parked tankers is a gamble. If the oil was bought at $40, the buyer is hoping the price of oil goes up. Sometimes it does not. It is simply a risk play.

Got any idea what it costs to operate even a parked ship, per day?

The Tourist

Banned
Yes, they are gambling but they can't lose if the taxpayer bails them out every time.

Oh, I agree, and the idea of bail-outs sickens me in this country of supposed "free trade."

I'm a small business. There was a one-in-three chance that my business would even be around going into the third year. But I wanted freedom and I wanted to "live the dream."

How are we ever going to teach those coming up after us that a work ethic is a good, moral idea.

I make a few thousand and a kid with an uber-fast computer makes millions as a day-trader or by obtaining an enviable layer in a Ponzi scam.

I'm actually proud of the swarf under my fingernails. To millions of a Americans, I'm a dumb schlub.

xsinawl

But in this case if enough of them do it they can create a shortage for themselves. Tie up enough tankers and effectively you've created a shortage. If they were paying for storage that did not or could not tie up transportation they would be in a far riskier position. Can you do that with your wheat?

Have you checked the price of oil lately? These games will happen, conspiracies and cartels are founded and destroyed by greed. The obvious solution to the problem is to drill our own oil. Congress and the new Pres. have said that will not happen over Robt. Redfords dead body, you can't just ruin the view from his estate for the good of the country...

It must be remembered that not one of the facets of the markets exists in a vacuum. The stock market went up because of the refinancing of the debt forced the Fed to print money to hold down interest which kept payments on T bills low which led investors to other things- commodities for instance which caused the oil bubble, the food bubble, etc. Just like the same refinancing led to the financial crisis.

The Tourist

Banned
...payments on T bills low which led investors to other things- commodities for instance which caused the oil bubble, the food bubble, etc. Just like the same refinancing led to the financial crisis...

You can't put that in a sound byte and expect action from the public.

The real problem is executive airplanes and "golden parachutes." Everyone knows that.

The real answer is "change."

The word 'change' is simple to pronounce, espoused by a man with charisma, every talking-head newscaster can fit it into simplified teleprompter copy and it has no agenda or time limit.

BHO has not even been sworn in, and 'change' is already here. Can't you feel it?

Locutus

Banned
But when Sheik Obama is ordained as "Caliph of The United States" isn't he going to take care of all of Allah's children and kill all the infidels???

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Got any idea what it costs to operate even a parked ship, per day?

Read an article the other day where it said that the cost of storage was between $6 and $10 per barrel per year. Given the price fluctuations on oil, it may not be a bad bet to buy cheap, store and wait for the up.