• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Recognized as War Hero For being Captured...

Bamby

McCain Recognized as War Hero For being Captured...

Are there any other examples of service personnel awarded or recognized as war heroes for essentially surviving their time spent in service as a "prisoner of war"?

OiFG6mj.jpg

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
McCain Recognized as War Hero For being Captured...

Are there any other examples of service personnel awarded or recognized as war heroes for essentially surviving their time spent in service as a "prisoner of war"?

OiFG6mj.jpg

Anyone who essentially writes a blank check to the people of our nation, that includes everything they are up to and including their life when they join the military, is a hero.

John McCain flew combat missions that put his life and liberty at risk. He is therefore a War hero. Not for being captured, but being present, active, and maintaining his loyalty in captivity.

In my opinion, the worst most egregious thing Trump ever said was his comments about McCain.

As for term limits, I agree. McCain was long past overdue to leave the government. Not because of senility or even his maverick approach, but he, like so many career politicians, represented more himself for re-election than the needs of his constituents. I don't believe the Founders considered that some would make Public Service a life long career. And it could become a problem.

I have long defended the status quo. I don't like changing the genius plan of the Founders. But advances in medicine and science have extended lifetimes beyond the dreams of our Founders. And those extended years of power accumulation can be dangerous to the vitality of the Republic. For example, I believe Nancy Pelosi has been dead for years but no one has the courage to tell her.

We have determined that no President should accumulate power for more than two terms,,,; eight years. Why are Senators and Congressmen assumed to be different?

Last edited:

Bamby

Not for being captured, but being present, active, and maintaining his loyalty in captivity.
There is a lot of controversy on this topic concerning his capture. It's said he was fondly referred to as song bird by his captures because he sold himself out to them so willingly.

By your standards we as a nation have a significant population of "War Heroes". Yet unlike McCain they aren't recognized as the heroes that they are and often denied the follow up care needed after being disposed of because of injuries received in acts of war.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
There is a lot of controversy on this topic concerning his capture. It's said he was fondly referred to as song bird by his captures because he sold himself out to them so willingly.

By your standards we as a nation have a significant population of "War Heroes". Yet unlike McCain they aren't recognized as the heroes that they are and often denied the follow up care needed after being disposed of because of injuries received in acts of war.

Yes, we do have a significant number of War heroes. Whether they stood on the wall at Fort Sumter or died in the jungles of Vietnam, beaches of Normandy or the deserts of Iraq/Afghanistan. Why do you have a problem with that?

As for McCain selling out, I heard different from his co-captives. I also have heard the malevolent lies about the fire aboard his ship. Don't misunderstand, I'm no fan of McCain. But I'm not fond of malicious lies either.

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
With out going into all the details, I was part of unit that "debriefed" the USS Pueblo crew after their release.

This was a closely kept at the time (but not CLASSIFIED) operation that was located at the Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego.

I can tell you that those men were put thru Hell during their confinement. Their later depressed emotions/suicide rates/depressions were well above the norm.

A few of the details concerning certain specific men have been publicly commented
upon, but that is the exception.

Bottom line: Mc Cain went thru the same type of torture, but, he is only one of many.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
As for McCain selling out, I heard different from his co-captives. I also have heard the malevolent lies about the fire aboard his ship. Don't misunderstand, I'm no fan of McCain. But I'm not fond of malicious lies either.

With out going into all the details, I was part of unit that "debriefed" the USS Pueblo crew after their release.

This was a closely kept at the time (but not CLASSIFIED) operation that was located at the Balboa Naval Hospital in San Diego.

I can tell you that those men were put thru Hell during their confinement. Their later depressed emotions/suicide rates/depressions were well above the norm.

A few of the details concerning certain specific men have been publicly commented
upon, but that is the exception.

Bottom line: Mc Cain went thru the same type of torture, but, he is only one of many.

My Father, who was a career Navy man would agree with the above comments from both of you.
Thanks.

Bamby

Well no one has posted another example of someone who has been idolized for primarily being a captured prisoner of war.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Well no one has posted another example of someone who has been idolized for primarily being a captured prisoner of war.

Going off topic, slightly..but if you want a name and specifics, how about William Higgins who was 'captured and killed during the hostage crisis in Lebanon.
I don't know where you're going with this, Bamby.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Here's one since you insist....;:unsure:
https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/us-traded-5-taliban-terrorists-for-one-deserter/
Some prominent "Americans" called him a hero.

Your OP premise is faulty. It's intent appears to be to diminish McCain's honorable actions during our war with N Vietnam.

McCain is not a hero because he was captured. He is a War Hero because of his actions during the war with North Vietnam. Both as a Navy Pilot and as a POW.

Trump had the same motivations when he made his anti McCain is no hero comments. Trump was wrong. Period.

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter

IMO anybody who puts in their 2 or 3 or more is a war hero. Being killed, captured, blown up, on the front lines, or emerging unscathed is largely the luck of the draw.

McCain is no exception. Again, IMO, the excessive fanfare surrounding his death was not about his military service or his time in Congress. Lots of people have done both. It was due to his outspoken hatred of the President.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes, we do have a significant number of War heroes. Whether they stood on the wall at Fort Sumter or died in the jungles of Vietnam, beaches of Normandy or the deserts of Iraq/Afghanistan. Why do you have a problem with that?

Malicious lies?

Due to the number of arson incidents aboard the USS ZIPPO at the yards in Portsmouth, I will wonder 'til the last about that fire on Yankee Station. Not saying nor implying that McCain had anything to do with it - quite the contrary, actually - but it is quite possible that some moron did!

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Back when the President made his statement of "I like people who weren't captured".
That probably wasn't the best thing he's ever said.
That said, for some of you caught up deep in this thread of debate, I can say my Dad talked of John McCain during his service time.
Not often, but I remember it.
He probably liked him if he had ever met him.
And every one man or woman who ever met my Dad on their time in the service liked him as well.
One of our own members here remembers Dad.
Being a Navy brat I'll never say a bad thing about one who served.
EVER.
The End.

Bamby

As for the information I've read he's been a asshole his entire life. He actually worked at being a asshole and if he hadn't been so big of a asshole Trump may even have accomplished far more than he has at this point in his presidential term.

feoiScG.jpg

I'll leave this topic with this final tribute to McCain...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU_y9FB0QKk"]I-95 The Asshole Song - YouTube[/ame]