• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Timberline Premium Topsoil

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Has anyone here used this? I am looking for a good review, and do you think it is worth it as a cheap way to rejeuvenate a dead flowerbox. My plan is to mix it up with some Miracle Grow. Just a budget job here, and wondering what you think. I am not exactly sold on this brand here, but I will need more than a few bags, and for the price, it works perfect.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_92432-29629...rd_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&facetInfo=

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much do you need? This is one of those things that disappears quickly and/or doesn't cover as much as you would think.

Have you considered checking around your area for topsoil in a bit more of a bulk mode? Haven't bought any recently but last time I did, it was $10 per ton (as opposed to $50+ when buying it by the bag).

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
I won't need a whole lot. Plus no way of transporting bulk. I don't need it to last too long. I'm thinking maybe 10 bags, at the most. Just to mix up, and freshen the box and all it's old dirt.

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
I won't need a whole lot. Plus no way of transporting bulk. I don't need it to last too long. I'm thinking maybe 10 bags, at the most. Just to mix up, and freshen the box and all it's old dirt.
Personally if the dirt in the box is not complete junk and grew flowers before I would just add a bag or to to mix up with what you allready have , brand really aint that much of a difference most of it is all the SOS IMO .

Also if you drink coffee mix the grounds in with the dirt as well , makes for a cheap fertilizer and adds nitrogen to the soil . Have where you work save it for you if you dont make it yourself . Cheap crushed aspirin disolved in water also makes for a good additive for whatever you are planting . :wink:

Rusty Shackleford

Automotive M.D.
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks for the tips, there, Cowpoke. I do drink coffee at home during the colder months. I really don't think there is much left in that dirt, as it is separeted from the rest of the ground, and weeds can barely grow in it. I hope just to liven it up, a bit, maybe plants some veggies next season.

loboloco

Rusticator, mixing in will help, and it really doesn't matter the brand name. Unless you go really high dollar, it is pretty much the same. A 50/50 mix would probably do more, since your soil in the planters is pretty much used up. The coffee grounds, eggshells, bottom of a mulch pile, or if you can get it, rabbit manure also helps a lot. On rabbit manure, try to get it aged, and mix 10 parts soil to 1 part RM. that will cause a major growth boost.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Take a couple buckets and go visit a farm. The Furd can handle at least 3 buckets of cow manure in the trunk. Get a digging fork and turn the soil once before you add the manure. Turn it some more and add a bag or 2 of your bought soil and you will grow anything you want.