• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Tucker exhaust - re-route out the back ???

Vance

Hi all,

I'd like to get some opinions (like I have to ask...) on my exhaust system on my Tucker 1342.

You can see the dual stack up behind the cab configuration that I have now. This probably worked great for the groomer tasks that this cat did in its previous life but I need to make changes to accomodate passengers now.

In the pics you can kinda see the problem - the exhaust drifts down over the bed where the passengers sit. While they have not complained about the smell when running, they HAVE noted the black crud that shoots out of the pipes on start-up.

As a minimum I'm going to rotate the turn-outs at the top of the stacks to point at a 45 to the side.

BTW, I have replaced the yellow tool box with 2 dune-buggy seats. There WILL be passengers riding in the back on some trips.

But, I'm thinking about routing the exhaust out to the back with turndowns. I'd also relocate the mufflers under the bed as the previous owner complained that the cab often was very hot on extended runs. Gotta love a snowcat with tooooo much heat. I think this will work better than many other snocats because of the height, clearance and protection offered by the "hollow ladder frame" of the Tucker.

Let me know what you think - especially those that have operated cats with stacks or rear exhausts.

Thanks in advance,

Vance

Attachments

• 1971 Tucker 1342.JPG
    1971 Tucker 1342.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 248
  • als sept pics 044.jpg
    als sept pics 044.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_1414.JPG
    IMG_1414.JPG
    155.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0296.JPG
    IMG_0296.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 240

Vance

Here are a couple pics of other Tucker exhaust configurations:

Attachments

• 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 229
  • c8be_3.jpg
    c8be_3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 239
  • c9fc_3.jpg
    c9fc_3.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 235
  • ca9d_3.jpg
    ca9d_3.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 240

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
If it were mine I would run them under the bed as the above FRIEGHTER and turn them out and down at a 45 degree to the 8 oclock and 4 oclock positions. Hope that makes sense.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Go stainless with stainless mufflers! :thumb: Thermal coat your headers and collectors to keep the heat in the ehaust headers and collectors. This will improve effeciency and help keep the heat out of the engine compartment. I will be doing this for all my cats next year. I have a contact that can do this for you at great prices.

Vance

If it were mine I would run them under the bed as the above FRIEGHTER and turn them out and down at a 45 degree to the 8 oclock and 4 oclock positions. Hope that makes sense.

I like the idea of running it out to the corners but what about the snow kicked up by the tracks? I'd be concerned that the snow off the tracks would deflect the exhaust and maybe even plug it? Maybe the heat makes it a non-issue.

I'll definately go with a stainless or aluminzed setup. I haven't priced the differences yet.

I don't think I'll have to go the extent of coated headers. My engine compartment is open like a car/truck setup. I think the heat issue was mostly because they had the mufflers right under the alum cab and there were no heat shields. If needed, I'll add some thermal blanket on the firewall. The PO did wrap the muffs with some kind of asbestos/?? seat-belt-like material to keep the heat in, though. It's falling apart and will be discarded.

Tnx,

V

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would go stainless if you plan to keep it for a lifetime. Aluminized if you may sell it. You could run the mufflers out under the rear bed instead of the cab. I am not sure how that will effect performance if it will effect it at all. I wouldnt wrap them with anything. This will only promote heat rott and will absorb moisture when its sitting. I would run a simple heat shield made up of spacers (round tubing cut about 3/4" lengths) and sheetmetal. This will stand the sheetmetal off of the underside of the bed and provide an air space (3/4"). Kinda like this (see picture). As far as snow plugging up the exhaust that is a non issue (to much heat and pressure). It will also be high enough to keep it out of the deepest snow. A problem will occur if you are stuck in a deep hole and the exhaust is burried. You could get carbon monoxide poisoning IF it were able to track back to the cab. That would be about the only time I would worry about it. BUT we all know TUCKERS do NOT get stuck like Kristies! Also use the absolute minimum of connections in the system. Connections/joints are were 99.9% of all leaks will occur. Run the longest pipes available. My 2 cents

PICTURES: Heat shield on my engine compartment cover. It is made of 1/2" round hollow spacers (4) with bolts running through and a piece of sheet metal about 6"x8". I covered everything with a High temp radiant barrier. :thumb:

Attachments

• DSCF0001.JPG
    DSCF0001.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 224
  • Picture 105.png
    Picture 105.png
    185.9 KB · Views: 227

Vance

I like the use of heat shields. I was going to add those above my current muffler setup before I decided to change the whole configuration. I'll still add them above the mufflers and wherever clearance is tight.

Any other comments on REAR vs. front or mid STACKS ???

Vance

MNoutdoors RIP

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I like the use of heat shields. I was going to add those above my current muffler setup before I decided to change the whole configuration. I'll still add them above the mufflers and wherever clearance is tight.

Any other comments on REAR vs. front or mid STACKS ???

Vance

The squirels and chipmunks like the low mounted ones better. easier for them to haul in nuts and nesting material.:yum:

JBAR

Our club has a 1542 and we decided to run it under the cab and box. We
thought if we ran stacks it would be noisey in the cab and could also get them
hung up on a tree limb or something. We used an oval muffler under the cab
behind the step. We also made a 3 bolt connector ,same as on a header outlet, just in front of muffler to make it easer to take system off again in the future.
The system worked great, no noise or fumes in the cab, untill we got that
week long snow storm. While breaking trail after the storm, the operator crossed a road and over a big snow bank, the rear track hit the muffler and tore it up pretty good.
Next week we are going to replace the system and put round mufflers under
the box and try again.

Attachments

• tucker exhast 006.jpg
    tucker exhast 006.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 230
  • tucker exhast 1 006.jpg
    tucker exhast 1 006.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 225

Vance

the operator crossed a road and over a big snow bank, the rear track hit the muffler and tore it up pretty good.
Next week we are going to replace the system and put round mufflers under
the box and try again.

Thanks for the info, JBAR.

It looks like the exits are above the tracks. I can see where the tracks could hit when the tracks rotate up over uneven terrain. The Tucker's do have limiters for this but many have been removed or don't have the addl clearance for the exhaust there.

I like the idea of getting the exhaust out to the sides but as you found out - the corners don't work. I guesss that leaves me with out the back near the center or maybe out to the sides right above the rear axle. Then it wouldn't have a chance of contacting the track.

Either way, I'm gonna try to fit compact mufflers under the bed to keep the head away from the cab.

Hmmmmm,

Vance

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Vance use the 3" diameter round stainless steel mufflers. Much more clearance than the above photo. I have one for my 200 cid 6 Super Imp and it is not to loud. Two would give you much lower noise since you will be splitting4 cyclinders to each instead of the 6 cylinders mine does. I have a link to a site that sells all the stainless tubing and mufflers plus any hardware you might need.

http://stainlesssteelmufflers.com/index.html

JBAR

If we had put the muffler forward a couple of inches and tipped the botton in a little more it mite not got hit. The tail pipes were not an issue. They are between the upper and lower frame.
Our NAPA guy came up with some 4 1/2" dia. x 22" long tractor type mufflers. We will put them between the upper and lower frame above the rear axle. We also have some 1/8" aluminum plate for a heat shield.

I will send some better picks next week.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I would also run the ends or tips completely out the rear. No chance of Carbonmonoxide building up under the cat then. I would also go with 3 to 3-1/2" diameter. This will give you plenty of sound muffling but give you less chances of the tracks catching them. Plus it will have a much cleaner look.

Vance

Thanks JBAR,

Now I think I understand - sounds like the front of the rear track hit the muffler under the cab? Makes sense. As you said, moving the mufflers under the bed above the rear axle gets rid of the problem. Then only pipes to run.

I'll have to check clearance on mine to see if I have the option of running the pipes out the rear corners (at 4 and 8 o'clock as SO suggested). I think the rear of my tracks can rotate up 'til it hits or nearly hits the bed.

SO, with the mufflers under the bed, there is plenty of room for standard mufflers but I still like the idea of compact ones to make maintenance easier. BTW, nice source on the shiny stuff!!

Vance

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Yah thats why I will be going with them as well. Plus they are smooth so if the tracks some how ever made contact there would be nothing for them to grab onto. Plus they look and sound so damn cool!

JBAR

Well we finished up the exhaust today. It is a time consuming job, putting on, taking off, welding, and bending. We welded all joints so there are no leaks and put in a 3 bolt flange so the system can be taken off easer.
On the last pict, the pipe needs to be tight to the frame. When you turn left
or when front left goes up, the steering drive link goes up and may hit pipe.

Attachments

• 1tucker exhaust 002.jpg
    1tucker exhaust 002.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 218
  • 2tucker exhaust 004.jpg
    2tucker exhaust 004.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 3tucker exhaust 006.jpg
    3tucker exhaust 006.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 216
  • 4tucker exhaust 009.jpg
    4tucker exhaust 009.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 208

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
Those look great.

Ive been installing radiant barrier / sound deadoning material to my engine compartment cover. I am now starting the heat shiled part. I will be posting soon on it in another thread. Might give you some ideas.

Vance

Thanks for the pics and tips, JBAR. That looks like a good setup. With my exhaust manifold setup, I'm going to try to keep the entire exhause up inside the frame. That way I can avoid that clearance issue you mentioned.

Nice looking cat!!!

Vance

JBAR

Yes we did change both u-joints, front and back shafts. The trunions were
getting scored up. Not due to lack of grease, I think there is very large loads
on the drive system. Just like a 4x4 truck, the front and rear end do not turn
exactly the same speed. We also did a lot of track work this summer. With the shafts off, we can turn one track at a time.