• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

ROAD TRIP? Anyone ever drive Route 66?

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thinking of another ride? Or maybe a drive? Debating between motorcycle vs convertible car.

But thinking Route 66 might be a fun trip.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Route 66 Official Site - National Route 66

Route 66: the historic route from Chicago to L.A. | ROAD TRIP USA

Mostly interested in the part from Chicago (the start) into New Mexico (brother in law lives in Albuquerque and 66 goes right through the city) and then into Arizona.

Not really interested into going into Los Angeles, or even crossing into California. I'm sure the border area would be fairly nice but the closer to LA the worse the traffic and why end a relaxing road trip with the hassle of LA traffic? I see no need for that.

Probably ship the car (or motorcycles) home from wherever we end. Flying home seems the logical way to get back. If there is an Amtrak Car-Train we could do that but I don't think they have a car train from the Southwest. I have some digging to do.

Bannedjoe

I'm sure it would be interesting.

I've been on it through parts of some states.

There are some areas where it still thrives, and others that look like it was forgotten many years (tears) ago.

Arizona has a few towns along the way that remain alive, but probably only for the historic value.
Williams comes to mind.
Kingman though, arghhh, keep on going.

Albuquerque scares the crap out me.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Same here, parts but certainly not all.
Geez Bob, you're Mr. Adventure!
However you decide to travel it, have fun.

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
There are but a few stretches of the old road left. Around Rolla and St Joseph MO are several miles of the old pavement running the old route. If you know where to get off I-44 there is about twenty miles of the old stuff. A time capsule for those who remember the old days.

If you want to find the old stretches in MO I can point them out.

I did Rt 66 back in the sixties before it was I-44 and I-55. Chicago all the way to Albuquerque. But since I lived in St. Louis and went to the Ozarks frequently, I can remember just about every foot between St. Louis and Springfield.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm sure it would be interesting.

I've been on it through parts of some states.

There are some areas where it still thrives, and others that look like it was forgotten many years (tears) ago.

Arizona has a few towns along the way that remain alive, but probably only for the historic value.
Williams comes to mind.
Kingman though, arghhh, keep on going.

Albuquerque scares the crap out me.

10-4 on Albuquerque, I once spent Saturday night in a hotel there (full moon to lol) and slept with my .45, and did not sleep very much... to many police sirens..

Winslow Az is one on the way we enjoyed. La Posada Hotel there was a special treat to stay at. You can find information on the hotel online. It was built as a destination for the rich and famous who passed through there.

Moriarty NM, just East of Albuquerque has a very good BBQ place on old 66 that is worthy of remembering as well...

Have fun Bob, maybe a motorcycle would work for you on old 66..

Regards, Kirk

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Cuba MO has a place onold 66 called Missouri Hick BBQ.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...ews-Missouri_Hick_Barbeque-Cuba_Missouri.html

It's great and you can run the old 66 road from Bourbon Mo on the south service road, to get there

I need to make a correction on my first post. ( #4) Not St Joseph which is way up north of Kansas City, but St. Roberts/ Fort Leonard Wood.

The original Rt 66 was the north/east bound lane of the four lane Route 66 for many years. It became the south service road when the new lanes were built to establish an interstate condition. So most but not all, of the south service roads are the old pavement and route and go through all the towns as they did in the 50's and 60's

Last edited:

Bamby

Here's a site that's provided me some inspiration. Called only in your state and they provide points of interest for various things people may care to see.

Let's see fall is coming on yes. Well I think you are in Illinois haw about this: Take This Gorgeous Fall Foliage Road Trip To See Illinois Like Never Before.. Heck it even looks like a nice trip from here...

If I only had someone to go with me I'd love to do this one this fall myself. Waterfalls are wondrous anytime even in the fall foliage season..

Anyway take a look around at the site it may provide some inspiration...

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
Arizona offers a route 66 license plate. We did this personalized plate for our Nissan 370 roadster. We gave up our motorcycle adventures in favor of the convertible roadster with a top that goes up and four wheels on the ground.....LOL :thumbup: It is just much more comfortable for us as we did the motorcycle adventures for many years and just got tired of fighting other drivers and weather when traveling.

Z Car Plate.jpg

370Z Car.jpg

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Route 66 guide books have arrived in the mail.

Conversations have begun.

Looking at Joliet (just south of Chicago, and the city claims to be the 'gateway of Rt 66) to Albuquerque, NM as the likely starting-ending points. This could get real interesting. We have family in Albuquerque. Likely ship the bikes home from there and return home by air.

Outside chance of continuing to Arizona to see the Grand Canyon. Neither of us have been to the Grand Canyon so it might be worth adding a week or so to the trip to make our way out there.

From what we can tell from the guide books, all traces of the original Route 66 in Chicago have been whipped out by progress. Joliet is apparently trying to preserve some of the route and use it to attract tourists. Seems like a likely place to start the trip. There are 1 or 2 individual points of interest between Chicago and Joliet, but the route is still gone, its just a building or two that remain.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Definitely worth the trip to see the Grand Canyon. Not sure if you need a week though. Unless you're hiking down the canyon, it's a day trip or maybe overnight.