• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

snow trac drive axles

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
excessive grease in the snow trac axles lubes your brake drum good.
i was cleaning them yesterday.
i'm putting the blame on my electric grease gun.
DSC02529.jpg

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
electric grease guns are evil.

personally I would have a word with the trigger.

SweGus

How much work is needed to get to the brake drums? I am afraid that my brake drums may be greased as well so when I get the time I probably will have to clean them too. I know that Lyndon wrote somewhere that working on the brakes was a real hassle so I'm a bit afraid to start with it to be honest... :smile:

Do you have any more pictures and could you describe the process a bit more in detail?

Any special tools needed?

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
How much work is needed to get to the brake drums? I am afraid that my brake drums may be greased as well so when I get the time I probably will have to clean them too. I know that Lyndon wrote somewhere that working on the brakes was a real hassle so I'm a bit afraid to start with it to be honest... :smile:

Do you have any more pictures and could you describe the process a bit more in detail?

Any special tools needed?

Split the tracks, remove the large nut that holds the drums on and remove.

The hassle is if you need a new master cylinder to power the brakes. Hard to get to, to change out. Also the slave cylinders in mine turned out to be VW bus parts..

Even at their best, brakes on an ST4 two band track is lacking on a steep hill. Just remember if you absolutely have to stop, turn off the key and kill the engine in gear. You will definitely stop!

Regards, Kirk

SweGus

Thanks a lot for the info!

I am cautiously positive that my brake cylinder is ok since the feeling in the brake pedal is ok. It's just that it doesn't make much difference if I'm pressing as hard as I can on the pedal. So I'm really hoping that it's "only" a grease problem.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Your emergency brake should also slip.
I would try to brake the tracks near the drums. But The best place is just below the drum.
Your sprockets could be reversed at the same time.
i did mine while it was on my trailer. Everything is elevated and much easier to work on.
No pictures were taken but brake cleaner ,rags .be Shure the drum is put on tight . Adjusting the brakes can also be done.
Jim

redsqwrl

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks a lot for the info!

I am cautiously positive that my brake cylinder is ok since the feeling in the brake pedal is ok. It's just that it doesn't make much difference if I'm pressing as hard as I can on the pedal. So I'm really hoping that it's "only" a grease problem.

I have discovered a firm pedal, and a frozen (rusted) right side brake cylinder. my pressure was very good the braking was not so good.

New wheel cylinder and my brakes were back.