Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN

Go Back   Forums Forums - Off Topic Forum FUN > Off Topic Forums > Private Investing Forum

Private Investing Forum Discussion of Stocks and Strategies

Old 11-26-2019, 11:52 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,528 Times in 2,301 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Gold and Silver investment

We've bought silver rounds equivalent to 10% of our savings. BO prompted us to buy silver!!
Mike
jim slagle  (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 03:20 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 9,623 Times in 3,094 Posts
FrancSevin has a spectacular aura aboutFrancSevin has a spectacular aura about

I did OK with Gold during the Obama years. Mostly because I sold a car to a jeweler who paid me in Gold coins,,,; ie no commission on the sale. Gold was down at the time.

When my son bought his house, real estate was down and gold was up so it worked out well.

But that was as much luck as it was cunning.
The Following User Says Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 03:36 PM

Mr. Bill is on a distinguished road

I like silver as of today. It is very undervalued. Currently, silver prices are very low. Silver has always out performed gold in precious metal bull markets. That being said, I like physical precious metals because they are a tangible asset class.

I also like real estate, dividend stocks and cash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Bill For This Useful Post:
jim slagle  (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 07:36 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,254 Times in 386 Posts
m1west is on a distinguished road

I bought 1000 oz of silver about 11years ago at about $15 its $17 now not the great investment I hoped for. I plan to make it part of grandpas treasure that I am going to hide at my cabin on 80 acres in the mountains that I am leaving all of them in a trust never to be sold. The treasure will be my way of getting the kids and grandkids to go use the property and look for it after I am gone. The real treasure is family hanging out together what ever the reason. Marty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
FrancSevin (11-27-2019), jim slagle  (11-26-2019)
Old 11-26-2019, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,528 Times in 2,301 Posts
mla2ofus is on a distinguished road

BO made us buy silver as a hedge against hard times he might cause.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:10 AM
Silver Member

In the last five years silver has gone up 10%. Gold has gone up 20%
In the last 20 years, silver has gone up 226% whilst Gold has risen 400%
Commissions are 5%or about half of what silver has risen in the last fiver years. Against the devalued dollar, that's not performance.
https://www.goldprice.org/
I keep hearing silver is the next big metals boom. Just not seeing it.

Gold is worth 8 times silver value. So these numbers for gold are BIG.

I am mostly out of metals right now. Stocks have doubled since Obama years. So has my small business. That's where my capital is being placed. In the last three years we have doubled our capacity. Three new production lines added to the six we had in 2016.

Last edited by FrancSevin; 11-27-2019 at 02:20 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
jimbo (11-27-2019), m1west (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,751 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

I still have a little gold locked away. I had almost forgotten about it. I need to go visit it one of these days. I still don't think that precious metals are much of an investment but for some reason it is comforting to have. I still haven't figured out that when the world goes to hell and paper money becomes worthless, who is going to be buying all this gold and what will they be buying it with? That gets me back to my baked beans analogy of 4-years ago.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
FrancSevin (11-27-2019), jim slagle  (11-27-2019), m1west (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

Thanked 1,932 Times in 723 Posts
jimbo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1west View Post
I bought 1000 oz of silver about 11years ago at about $15 its $17 now not the great investment I hoped for. I plan to make it part of grandpas treasure that I am going to hide at my cabin on 80 acres in the mountains that I am leaving all of them in a trust never to be sold. The treasure will be my way of getting the kids and grandkids to go use the property and look for it after I am gone. The real treasure is family hanging out together what ever the reason. Marty
Add to that that you bought at retail. You'll sell at wholesale. Which means you'll break even.

Back in '15, I said that metals IMO are a commodity, not an investment. That's still my position.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jimbo For This Useful Post:
EastTexFrank (11-28-2019), m1west (11-27-2019), mtntopper (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 01:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
I still have a little gold locked away. I had almost forgotten about it. I need to go visit it one of these days. I still don't think that precious metals are much of an investment but for some reason it is comforting to have. I still haven't figured out that when the world goes to hell and paper money becomes worthless, who is going to be buying all this gold and what will they be buying it with? That gets me back to my baked beans analogy of 4-years ago.
I too have a little of it stashed away.

Here's the thing, if the SHTF then paper money will be worthless. Are you gonna buy milk and bread with a Gold Eagle?

A big mac might go for Gold but that eagle could cost you your life.

Keep it for financial security, but not much is needed when hyper inflation happens. After all, that's when gold really goes up.

As for milk and bread, when money goes to hell, you can buy those items by swinging a hammer or digging a ditch for it.
jim slagle  (11-27-2019), m1west (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 03:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancSevin View Post
I too have a little of it stashed away.

Here's the thing, if the SHTF then paper money will be worthless. Are you gonna buy milk and bread with a Gold Eagle?

A big mac might go for Gold but that eagle could cost you your life.

Keep it for financial security, but not much is needed when hyper inflation happens. After all, that's when gold really goes up.

As for milk and bread, when money goes to hell, you can buy those items by swinging a hammer or digging a ditch for it.
if that were to happen bullets are the best investment, with bullets you could keep what you have and if necessary get what you need. Marty
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
FrancSevin (11-27-2019), jim slagle  (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
if that were to happen bullets are the best investment, with bullets you could keep what you have and if necessary get what you need. Marty
Agreed but, you cannot eat bullets.

I keep both bullets and TP for the had times. I also have enough standard light bulbs to light up a small city.

I have a freezer full of dried beans, flour, sugar and rice. All will last for months and years even if the power goes out. Not because I fear the apocalypse, but because I own a small business.

I can and have swung a hammer for a living. Also dug ditches.
jim slagle  (11-27-2019), m1west (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 07:07 PM
Bronze Member

Not trying to hijack the thread but I think we are closer to a social breakdown now than when BO was in. I am feeling the Dim crazies like Shiff and some others may try to seize power using dis information and fake crimes to unilaterally impeach Trump outside of due process similar to the way the Nazi party did it prior to ww2. Only here and now 1/2 of the people won't roll over for it and it will be on. Marty
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m1west For This Useful Post:
300 H and H (11-27-2019), Bamby (11-27-2019), EastTexFrank (11-28-2019), FrancSevin (11-27-2019), jim slagle  (11-27-2019)
Old 11-27-2019, 08:41 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not trying to hijack the thread but I think we are closer to a social breakdown now than when BO was in. I am feeling the Dim crazies like Shiff and some others may try to seize power using dis information and fake crimes to unilaterally impeach Trump outside of due process similar to the way the Nazi party did it prior to ww2. Only here and now 1/2 of the people won't roll over for it and it will be on. Marty
Agreed. With Obama there was, at least a belief in the possibility of a free election turning the power over to a Republican and restoration of there public as the founders intended. But after3 years of coup attempts by the left, I to worry that the progressives have become too desperate to change the nation by public opinion.

With Antifa, failure by big city mayors, and some state governors, to enforce law and order, we may be beyond redemption by civilized, due process, means.

I suggest to keep your powder close at hand and dry.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FrancSevin For This Useful Post:
EastTexFrank (11-28-2019), jim slagle  (11-27-2019), jimbo (11-27-2019), m1west (11-28-2019), mla2ofus (11-27-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:25 AM
Gold Member

Thanked 4,104 Times in 1,751 Posts
EastTexFrank will become famous soon enough

Quote:
With Antifa, failure by big city mayors, and some state governors, to enforce law and order, we may be beyond redemption by civilized, due process, means.

I suggest to keep your powder close at hand and dry.
Agreed.

Being old, I have gone through umpteen ammo shortages. Well, I went through the first one, the rest didn't affect me.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. John Wayne as JB Books in "The Shootist".
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EastTexFrank For This Useful Post:
m1west (11-28-2019), mla2ofus (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:43 AM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,676 Times in 1,923 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough
Style: T66_BiggerFont

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexFrank View Post
I still haven't figured out that when the world goes to hell and paper money becomes worthless, who is going to be buying all this gold and what will they be buying it with? That gets me back to my baked beans analogy of 4-years ago.
It's really quite simple gold, silver, copper and other commodities will be used, traded or bartered for goods that are needed. Historically commodities have always been utilized as money for trade purposes.

So what we come around to is we need a noncorroding useful asset that also does not spoil or need any care in storage that could be used for barter. Bullets could work but there are so many different calibers to cover and they can even get pretty fuggly if not stored in a conditioned climate.

So the war has started and we're all dug in till it's passed or over..... Yea right but have you considered the thermonuclear bomb that exploded far enough away that you survived the blast... But the radiation levels will shortly kill you if you don't quickly pack up and move to a safer area.

This is where gold and silver will show it's worth. A person ain't packing along enough lead to utilize as barter as needed but one could manage to take along enough precious metals that could make the difference between life and death.
The basic difference between Conservatives and Liberals is that Conservatives see the state as a tool to use in supporting the empowerment of the Individual, while Liberals see individuals as tools to use in supporting the empowerment of the State.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
mla2ofus (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 11:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
It's really quite simple gold, silver, copper and other commodities will be used, traded or bartered for goods that are needed. Historically commodities have always been utilized as money for trade purposes.

So what we come around to is we need a noncorroding useful asset that also does not spoil or need any care in storage that could be used for barter. Bullets could work but there are so many different calibers to cover and they can even get pretty fuggly if not stored in a conditioned climate.

So the war has started and we're all dug in till it's passed or over..... Yea right but have you considered the thermonuclear bomb that exploded far enough away that you survived the blast... But the radiation levels will shortly kill you if you don't quickly pack up and move to a safer area.

This is where gold and silver will show it's worth. A person ain't packing along enough lead to utilize as barter as needed but one could manage to take along enough precious metals that could make the difference between life and death.
Perhaps we should be but, I'm not too worried about the war you suggest. I think we have been referring to the internal civil conflict. Thermo nuclear would be unlikely.

As for the rest of you post yes, commodities will be useful when the paper money is worthless. Remember one bullet used to buy a cowpoke one shot of whisky.

So, when the SHTF be sure you either have or can make bullets, gunpowder, or whisky. You'll be fine.
m1west (11-28-2019), mla2ofus (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Thanked 5,676 Times in 1,923 Posts
Bamby will become famous soon enough
Style: T66_BiggerFont

Quote:
Perhaps we should be but, I'm not too worried about the war you suggest. I think we have been referring to the internal civil conflict. Thermo nuclear would be unlikely.
So OK so the mood and circumstances are getting white hot in your community and you find you're primarily surrounded by liberals. And even though they're mostly full of hot air many of them have armed themselves with liberal approved weapons of destruction. Though their weapons are mostly limited to hand to hand fighting their's just to many of them fend off. After all you got to sleep sometime and they know that. So you come to the realization you need to pack up some necessities and find some folks that share your values.

Quote:
The basic difference between Conservatives and Liberals is that Conservatives see the state as a tool to use in supporting the empowerment of the Individual, while Liberals see individuals as tools to use in supporting the empowerment of the State.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bamby For This Useful Post:
mla2ofus (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
So OK so the mood and circumstances are getting white hot in your community and you find you're primarily surrounded by liberals. And even though they're mostly full of hot air many of them have armed themselves with liberal approved weapons of destruction. Though their weapons are mostly limited to hand to hand fighting their's just to many of them fend off. After all you got to sleep sometime and they know that. So you come to the realization you need to pack up some necessities and find some folks that share your values.
Gold and silver are fine if defended with lead. When the SHTF one can barter "for" lead or "with" it.

Gold, bullets and TP. Keep them in good supply