• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Investment strategy for the coming months

jimbo

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With the election rapidly approaching, and the choices being limited to Tweedle dumb and Tweedle dumber, which is which is up to you, I am interested in input on what would be a good investment strategy for the coming months. In the words of some politician, never a crisis go to waste.

Lets start with a hypothetical $100 K for the sake of argument. Where would you put it?

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
With the election rapidly approaching, and the choices being limited to Tweedle dumb and Tweedle dumber, which is which is up to you, I am interested in input on what would be a good investment strategy for the coming months. In the words of some politician, never a crisis go to waste.

Lets start with a hypothetical $100 K for the sake of argument. Where would you put it?

I'm reading a lot of pundits' comments that say to stay liquid and wait for the pullback in the stock market. Lots of price to earnings ratios in the high teens or low 20's out there right now, suggesting an overbought market. The fiscal cliff is approaching, and if Obama gets re-elected, it wouldn't surprise me to see a good sized drop after the election. If the republicans lose the house, I'd bet there would be an even bigger drop, as people would cash in their capital gains before the certain tax hike in 2013.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Assuming I had a few months to invest instead of a few weeks, I would:

1) Buy 1000 ounces of silver in a mix of recognizable coins and bars.
2) Fill/top off the pantry and ammo cans.
3) Go through the house and vehicles and replace/repair anything I think would fail in the next 4 years. (Appliances, roof, hot water tank, furnace, woodstove/chimney...).
4) Get any other goods I'd think the family would need such as clothes, winter gear, generator, bulk fuel, canning supplies, seeds, etc.
5) Put $10K under the mattress.
6) If there's any remainder, apply towards any existing debts.

Basically, make the family purchases as close to nill as possible for the next few years.

kkchatter

It's a stock market minefield - better go GOLD and forget your worries. Other than that I'm interested in the Royal Mail shares that will be up in the early part of next year. Whilst we won't have quite the same jump in proce that we had for other public services when they were privatised, there will almost certainly be money to be made.

Kane

Silver is at periodic low of $24, bound to scream back to $40+. Can't go wrong.

Of course you could always lie in the weeds and short the S&P with some SKF. :brows:

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Assuming I had a few months to invest instead of a few weeks, I would:

1) Buy 1000 ounces of silver in a mix of recognizable coins and bars.
2) Fill/top off the pantry and ammo cans.
3) Go through the house and vehicles and replace/repair anything I think would fail in the next 4 years. (Appliances, roof, hot water tank, furnace, woodstove/chimney...).
4) Get any other goods I'd think the family would need such as clothes, winter gear, generator, bulk fuel, canning supplies, seeds, etc.
5) Put $10K under the mattress.
6) If there's any remainder, apply towards any existing debts.

Basically, make the family purchases as close to nill as possible for the next few years.

What the man said. Make sure you own at least one shot gun. If you do not own one yet may I suggest the Kel-Tec 14+1 tactical pump. If you can find one. It will push out over a pound of 2/0 buckshot as fast as you can pump and pull. Doesn't do a bit of good to prep if one cannot keep it.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
First, I'm not being critical of Bczoom -- we do have the benefit of hindsight for the last 10 months.

But silver traded @ about $33/oz. in October 2012. That 1000 ounces purchased for $33,000, would now only be worth $24k -- a loss of over 25%.

And that 10k in the mattress, if invested (along with the $33k not spent on silver) in an index fund , say SPY, would have grown to over $49k.

So would you rather have $34,000, or $49,000?

Again, hindsight is key here, but the truth of the matter is that we're still in a bull market. Not a great time to be fearful if you're an investor.

Suni

Who here uses a broker... or do you all do it yourselves? Me... chicken that I am, use a broker... easier to blame them for any loss.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Everything I do goes through my broker . His ass is on the line if he fucks up and when I want answers he damn well better have them asap . I make him a lot of money so I expect him to jump .

Suni

It would be hard for me to put one's ass in a sling since we use a national firm.. I do not get to smack anyone..

plus, it seems that I always get the answer of "doe in headlights look"... nothing but stammering.