• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Swedish fire torch

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
That is an old backpacker trick. It works rather well. Nothing like a hot meal when you are tired from a day of hiking.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
It only works if you pack a bow saw. You can do similar with some small round logs and 2 good well soaked green branches to set the pot on. Sterno is a lot handier!:yum:

joec

GOLD Site Supporter
I've seen hundreds of methods for starting a fire but this one is also new to me. I even have a few of these methods in my bug bag also none of which would depend on modern things like matches or lighters.. Probably the most modern method (still been around for centuries) is a magnification lens.

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yep! the lens make a great twig dryer as well. Had the scout on more than a few wet campouts as well as winter time. Hard to start snow soaked wood also. They learned pretty quick that drying out tomorrow's wood was pretty important while you had a good fire going.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Probably the most modern method (still been around for centuries) is a magnification lens.

Joe, I've never tried the lens over here. It would probably work pretty good in a lot of places but where I tried to use it, the UK, you'd be better employed using it to read your map. The sun wasn't strong enough, you could go days without seeing it and I could scorch paper or tinder but I could hardly ever get a red hot ember to actually start a fire. No, I prefer a magnesium bar and striker or a blast match. They work every time for me.