• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

East vs West Cat Usage Area Restrictions

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't understand why on one coast (West) you have access to all this state and federal land to use your snowcats on but back East we do not? Seems like you operate in lots of National Forrest West but we also have plenty East with no access?

One thing it seems is there is not as many snowmobile trails west where you are catting yet back East here most of the area we would want to cat have snowmobile use and maybe this has something to do with it.

Seems like NH, ME and others should grant us some more access. Maybe someone here knows the reasons? Dealing with the NH OHRV is not an easy task.

Thanks for the input.

Hi Trackaddict, Each Forest area has a forest plan, for example the White Mountain National forest has a plan that is different from the Green Mountain National Forest. The plans are supposed to be updated every 7 years. I think the WMNF plan is well past the 7 years. When this plan is renewed they look for public input as to what activities are allowed on the forest as well as what areas. They take the publics input and then do what ever they feel like.

I will let you know when this plan comes up for renewal maybe you can be the snowcat representative .:brows:

loggah

SUPER Site Supporter
The White Mountain National forest ,is the most restrictive to use , of any of them It was also the 1st national forest when the Weeks act was passed back in 1909. The major reason is the Appalachain mt. club is based in Boston, and they have a lot of pull keeping motor vehicle access down, Also our wonderful past President William Jefferson Clinton,basically put the screws to a lot of us by making Lincoln Woods,Pemigewassett wilderness area . No motor vehicles forever !!!! 45,000 acres in our backyard,that had been managed for forestry for 80 years.:sad::sad:

KT3survivor

things are slowly changing for the worse here in western colorado. new restrictions in areas that we grew up in are now completely cut off from motorized travel. beautifull pre-existing atv trail systems are closed so the blm can make a new more condensed set of trails in a fenced off square and pack every one in because. . . no other choice. scott mcinnis decided all the canyonlands needed to be named after him, then in the process changed many many acres to day use only as part of a "wildlife rehabilitation zone" that doesnt have enough water to support much more than desert lizards in the first place. this is all summer related. but i have read about areas in the white river national forrest and the west elks where snowmobiling is no longer allowed.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Keep me posted on anything I can get involved with in NH. I poke and prod up there but my primary Masshole residence probably doesn't help. NH is where I enjoy spending most of my time and really feel at home!

PS that avatar of your Tucker with TUCKERman's in the back is real sweet. Would love to see some pics of your work up there. Great view from your office and hopefully the heater in the cat works well!

Aaron Tucker

All I can say is sucks to be a flatlander . My buddy did get $280 ticket for riding in a closed area at Vail last weekend but he felt it was worth it lol.

Blackfoot Tucker

GOLD Site Supporter
I think a big reason is that the federal government owns a lot more land in western states than in eastern ones, and the states are much larger in size. For example in Utah the government owns 64.9% of all the land in Utah. That 64.9% equals an area six times the size of the entire state of New Hampshire.

We are seeing more land restricted from OHV use. I believe using land, public or private, that doesn't belong to you is a "privilege" and not a "right". But there is a segment of people who abuse the privilege. Their selfish and irresponsible actions directly result in areas being closed to everyone.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I agree on abuse. We have some issues this year with snowmobile trails. People have a tough time staying on the beautiful groomed trails and instead go off trail and upset the landowners nice enough to allow the use. Sad but reality.

here in new York state-----many years ago they bought up 1000s of acres of land to do reforest program----that we can not use----you can walk on it but don't drive on it---so what they did was put dirt roads in the areas and the local towns own them---so for snowmobile clubs to use them the town must ok it---which they do----and in some areas the state does have logging roads and in the winter they are also used as snowmobile trails with permission----so I have land owner trails and these roads through state lands-----when I take off in my cat I use farmers land /club trails /and roads through state land----so one day I get a call from a friend that is with Nyssa---he said my local club has been bitching about other than snowmobiles on the trails----and that they were going to send me a letter---and around this time we had just gotten a bunch of new snowmobile laws--thanks to out of towners---so here is what I did-----I told him to have them send me the letter with all names of people involved in the club---lol---he asked y-----and I said I was going to sue the club and new York state----I asked him if they included anything for handicap people including kids in all the new regulations--his reply---NO---and that I give rides to handicap people and kids that cant ride snowmobiles---I was hired by the state to give rides-----I never did get that letter----you cant believe the enjoyment they get when they go for a ride----I enjoy doing it----I even had a local judge contact me about getting a dying friend of his that wanted to go to camp one more time---we made it happen