• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Saturday JEOPARDY

JenKennings

Occupant; CatBird Seat
SUPER Site Supporter
Saturday JEOPARDY
Highlight between the brackets to see the "question"........

JEOPARDY- COLORS
1. ($400)- This nickname of Kentucky can refer to its landscape or its music...
[what is Bluegrass ? ]
2. ($1200)- It's another name for the Jolly Roger...
[ what is the black flag ?]
3. ($2000)- It's a shade of brown, a type of nut or a nutty TV housekeeper...
[what is Hazel ? ]

Double JEOPARDY- 6-LETTER WORDS
4.($800)- The second book of the Old Testament & the event described there...
[ what is Exodus ? ]
5. ($2400)- In "Clementine", the 2 places where the miner, 49er, was excavating for a mine...
[what is in a canyon, in a cavern ?]
6. ($4000)- To exhale, or to stop breathing entirely
[what is expire ? ]
Final JEOPARDY- SUDDEN POLITICAL PROMOTIONS
He was vice president of the U.S. for just 82 days before becoming president’...
[ who is Harry Truman ? ]

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I believe this was an "ace", but we have different answers for #2. The Black Flag was just that - plain black with no figures or
other design. To my knowledge, this was never called the Jolly Roger. An alternate name for the Jolly Roger was simply the
skull and crossbones, or skull and hourglass; both the bones and hourglass indicated death at the time.

Let me know if you can accept this answer.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
I'm with DS on #2.

I got 1, 3, 4 and 5. I would have probably got #6 if I'd thought about it a bit longer. OK, a lot longer. :biggrin:

I missed Final Jeopardy.

JenKennings

Occupant; CatBird Seat
SUPER Site Supporter
I believe this was an "ace", but we have different answers for #2. The Black Flag was just that - plain black with no figures or
other design. To my knowledge, this was never called the Jolly Roger. An alternate name for the Jolly Roger was simply the
skull and crossbones, or skull and hourglass; both the bones and hourglass indicated death at the time.

Let me know if you can accept this answer.

The Jolly Roger is any of various flags flown to identify a ship's crew as pirates. The flag most commonly identified as the Jolly Roger today is the skull and crossbones, a flag consisting of a human skull above two long bones (probably femurs) set in an x-mark arrangement on a black field. This design was used by several pirates, including Captains Edward England and John Taylor. Some Jolly Roger flags also include an hourglass, another common symbol representing death in 17th- and 18th-century Europe. Despite its prominence in popular culture, plain black flags were often employed by most pirates in the 17th-18th century.

For purposes of the game, "skull & Crossbones", et al are not acceptible, for the simple reason that the category was "Colors", and that leaves one correct answer, "Black Flag".........
sorry !
0511-1002-2402-5205.jpg

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
The Jolly Roger is any of various flags flown to identify a ship's crew as pirates. The flag most commonly identified as the Jolly Roger today is the skull and crossbones, a flag consisting of a human skull above two long bones (probably femurs) set in an x-mark arrangement on a black field. This design was used by several pirates, including Captains Edward England and John Taylor. Some Jolly Roger flags also include an hourglass, another common symbol representing death in 17th- and 18th-century Europe. Despite its prominence in popular culture, plain black flags were often employed by most pirates in the 17th-18th century.

For purposes of the game, "skull & Crossbones", et al are not acceptible, for the simple reason that the category was "Colors", and that leaves one correct answer, "Black Flag".........
sorry !
0511-1002-2402-5205.jpg

Yep, it was about "Colors", which makes your response reasonable; it is your thread after all. Nonetheless, this old
sailor disagrees with both you and Wikipedia, which you have quoted above. The term Jolly Roger is widely accepted
to have come from the French "joli rouge", a description of the "pretty" red background on early pirate flags. That
notwithstanding, I have never been able to find a reference (other than the one you quote) saying the name Jolly Roger
was ever applied to the plain black flag.

As noted, it's your thread and you are the final arbiter; I just can't agree with your source on this one.