• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Cable modem issues

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Alright all you tech wizards out there. I'm in need of some assistance.

About 6 months ago, I started having problems with my internet connection. Both my modem (Motorola) and router (Linksys) were about three years old at the time. The connection would just cut out completely. I'd have to unplug power to the modem and sometimes the router too, to reset them. The connection would work fine for a few hours, a day or days and then it would cut out again. A few months ago, I got a new modem (another Motorola) from my ISP, and a new router (Netgear). The problem continues, but all I have to do now is loosen the cable connection and jiggle it a bit and the internet connection is restored to the modem (I don't have to reset it or the router). I've tried different cables and switched the coupler in the wall jack, but the problem persists.

Any ideas?

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
If you changed the modem and still have the same but you recognize the cable I would say replace the end on your modem as a starter.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
if it's more than 3 years old, I'd have the cable guys come service the box on the side of your house - that sounds like the problem a friend of mine was having right before they replaced his.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
Call your ISP. They HAVE to come out to your house and test your line(s).
I had an issue once and they had to put in a new line from the pole to the house. We have buried lines here and the problem was somewhere between the two. No issues since. Good luck.

Gerard

"You have to"
Site Supporter
And check ANY splitters you may have. They can also cause the issue you're having.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
Call the cable company, they'll run a check and give you a new one if need be.
I had to do this 2 years ago.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'll pile on and say to call your cable company and get the line(s) tested.

Just the past couple weeks, I was having problems where the internet (and phone) would just cut out. Without doing anything on my end, service would come back in 5-20 minutes.

My line strength at the poll was just on the cusp between good and bad. Even heat from sunlight could/would drop my connection. He changed something out there and all is well.

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Looks like we have a consensus. Thanks for the replies, everyone!:clap:

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Called my ISP today, and they did remote diagnostics that suggest there's a problem between the demarc at the street and my modem. It appears y'all are spot on. Awshum!

jpr62902

SUPER Site Supporter
Yup. The problem was that that cables were kinked up in the outside box where my drop amp and splitter is. All is well now!