• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1973 Tucker Sno Cat 1443 New to Me

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
I myself, like to think of it, as, smiles per mile, and Tucker Sno-Cats have the highest ratings in the industry. and then there is Brian, he is the poster child for happy Tucker Sno-Cat owners, he always includes his family which is very special and yes, mr loggah, he has created the next generation of Accumulators

stay orange and tucker on.....

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Options are family time or no time so everybody wins.

Me and little bri fetched the tucker mid day. The belt failure was due to the alternator bracket broke at one time and a poor repair. Instead of bending and rewelding they sistered up an angle bracket and thru bolted bracket in the new bent position. It had to be a 1/2 or 3/4 out of line causing extreme belt wear. That and the steering pully belt is 3/8 and the other is 7/16. They used a 3/8 which made it ride way to low. Increased the failure rate.

I took a belt and used one of the steering pulleys to get it out of them woods.

Re-bent the bracket into line with the pulleys and welded the repair. The time it took them to drill and bolt the bracket was more than the correct re weld and they had to have taken it off to drill and bold the repair.

Had an exhaust leak at the header flange and connection below. Re sealed the flange and cut out the rotted metal and added a piece to make whole again. Plan is to make a new one off season. I was able to bring the current setup more inline. The low spot in the pipe rotted because I believe it got water in the open exhaust. I added a flapper which should be better at keeping elements out.

Attachments

• IMG_7237.jpg
    IMG_7237.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_7238.jpg
    IMG_7238.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 494
  • IMG_7234.jpg
    IMG_7234.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 504

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This little guy anxious to get on his tucker this morning. Poor little guy just walks around the house with his carhart in one hand and one boot on the other saying daddy until I get home from work. Must be the Tucker in him!

Attachments

• IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 487

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
poor little guy, J. Tucker.... that must be hard for him, to see his tucker sno-cat just sitting outside in plain view, you should at least put in the cat house, out of sight, quite sure he loves the tucker sno-cat more than than anything, he is J. Tucker.......

Attachments

• IMG_7242.jpg
    IMG_7242.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not sure yet. Now that I can use the cat we will find out quickly. The enter and exit is awkward. Also want a safer bottom step without the sharp edge for the kids.

Think there will be another design coming...

Make a box steel frame & cover it with expanded metal. That way snow & ice drop thru it when stepped on. Someone will slip on the current design when it's ice covered and smash their ass.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Now that I scored a nice used Yakima rack I can for go the receiver. Think a step with some expanded steel boxes somehow is the way to go also. Nobody has misstepped yet but it's coming!

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Knocked off work a little early to celebrate my birthday and my valentines.

Went for a nice tucker ride. My homemade exhaust gasket failed so I picked up a new one hope to fix tomorrow night.

Took the other cats out with the boys to cruise the fresh packed trails. Plan was to hook the drag up after dinner and lay some ribbon.

Plans ended with a broke ring gear on the arctic cat and a broken drag. Drag must have been frozen to the ground and tried to pull it out at and angle snap the main connecting tower and probably bent the other side.

In the house for the night before Tucker breaks or another leg does!

Attachments

• IMG_7256.jpg
    IMG_7256.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_7255.jpg
    IMG_7255.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_7253.jpg
    IMG_7253.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 413

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Somebody found the stash! Either he is saying Dudda or tucka pointing at it.

Either would be appropriate I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_7268.jpg
    IMG_7268.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 390

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Strong weekend. 160 smile snowmobiling Friday. There has to be 7 plus feet up in some parts of NH. Ride fresh groomed trails Friday courtesy of the 6 groomers we saw. Seems to be lots of Tucker Terras these days and they move. Passed three of those 2 PB edge and a couple BR 180s all dragging big mogul masters. Numerous others on the trek we never saw. Rode twin mountain up to Errol and back. I know you westerns have snow but this year they are doing well in the north!

Hit the slopes with the kids Saturday and came home to embrace the last day of sno for now 50 degrees and sun shining! Warm up so we hit the reset button while in McCall.

Trailered over to a friends farm other part of Haverhill few hundred privat acres. Lots of friends and family loving the Tucker and took a few on a tour to see parts of their farm they have not seen in many many years. Of course had to bring along the 120 class race team. Night tour was a big hit.

Tucker made many more memories today across all ages!

PS thumbs down is the tucker time out pit for some of the non listening race team.

Attachments

• IMG_7269.jpg
    IMG_7269.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_7271.jpg
    IMG_7271.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_7274.jpg
    IMG_7274.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 550
  • IMG_7300.jpg
    IMG_7300.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 566
  • IMG_7309.jpg
    IMG_7309.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_7318.jpg
    IMG_7318.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 577
  • IMG_7313.jpg
    IMG_7313.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_7308.jpg
    IMG_7308.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_7306.jpg
    IMG_7306.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 609
  • IMG_7333.jpg
    IMG_7333.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 569
  • IMG_7334.jpg
    IMG_7334.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_7331.jpg
    IMG_7331.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 579
  • IMG_7335.jpg
    IMG_7335.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_7328.jpg
    IMG_7328.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_7329.jpg
    IMG_7329.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 559
  • IMG_7324.jpg
    IMG_7324.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 571

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Last one for the night.

J. Tucker fighting the wheel for control driving with Dad tuckering in Tucker and in the back is a neighbor boy my other son has taken a liking to whom coincidentally happens to be named Tuckyr. (Spell check is correct) Random but true and we try to share what we are very fortunate to have!

Mom may or may not have taken this photo and was holding my beverage ! Haven't found good cup holder solution yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7336.jpg
    IMG_7336.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 541

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Lie few more came in via text

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_7341.jpg
    IMG_7341.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 524
  • IMG_7338.jpg
    IMG_7338.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_7340.jpg
    IMG_7340.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 545

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
i am beginning to think you are now LEFT leaning.....

Attachments

• IMG_7341.jpg
    IMG_7341.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 583
  • IMG_7340.jpg
    IMG_7340.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_7339.jpg
    IMG_7339.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 546
  • IMG_7338.jpg
    IMG_7338.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 555

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Scored a great deal on a nice used Yakima roof basket with extension. Think it compliments the cat proportionally. Of course it will be sitting up a bit once mounted on the cross bars and the location needs to be fine tuned. Has some accessories that can be mounted to it that may be useful in the future.

Taking a little break from the project till next week McCall is calling! Unfortunately I think we will back to bare ground when I return.

Plan is to overdose on catnip out in Idaho just in case !

Attachments

• IMG_7347.jpg
    IMG_7347.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_7348.jpg
    IMG_7348.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 517
  • IMG_7349.jpg
    IMG_7349.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 532

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the rear cross bar on tonight. The rivets that hold the roof on are in the top of then 3-4 square stock so the thru bolt option was abandoned because won't line up. Had to mill and file a recess for the rivet gun to get low enough to line up with existing rivets.

Used rivets like factory instead of thru bolts and made new holes. Between the rivets and existing flange support plenty sturdy. System works well and clamps secure to the new brackets and under the factory roof flange. Little black touch up paint and should like good racks on or off.

Thule low raingutter mount hug the roof nice!

Attachments

• IMG_7490.jpg
    IMG_7490.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 467
  • IMG_7491.jpg
    IMG_7491.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_7492.jpg
    IMG_7492.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_7493.jpg
    IMG_7493.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 476

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rack mounted up nice easy to reach from back or side tracks.

On to the track reversal.

Attachments

• IMG_7500.jpg
    IMG_7500.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_7502.jpg
    IMG_7502.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_7501.jpg
    IMG_7501.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 447

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the rear tracks off. Good news is there are 5 ice breakers not the three I thought must be color blind. One extra ice breaker is on the front. Will take off and replace with the spare rubber one.

Tightened all the spindle/ bearing nuts and greased new cotter pins. Number of turns on each. Greased the carrier fitting and adjusters. Have to replace one fitting.

The sliders although real new looking have cheap full thread carriage bolts and some were loose and ovaled the steel. One repair was to add a thin plate instead of just fixing it right. I plan to address this by weld filling and re drilling and instead of carriage bolts Allen head with washers.

Few other questions I will ask in another thread about carrier bushing wear, bearing caps, washers,etc.

Pretty easy compared to the steel track! Miss it though.

Attachments

• IMG_7504.jpg
    IMG_7504.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 456
  • IMG_7505.jpg
    IMG_7505.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 521
  • IMG_7507.jpg
    IMG_7507.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 485

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Completed half of the trackeotomy procedure got rear tracks reversed and the sliders re attached securely. Nothing too surprising. Have some work to do in the off season. Rear leaf spring shackles need to be re bushed and I think the shackle to rear table will need bushing work also.

Seasons winding down in the east very sad...

Attachments

• IMG_7510.jpg
    IMG_7510.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 427

DAVENET

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Freaking crazy how much snow we have lost in two weeks. Drove out to Schenectady yesterday and the only place that still had snow was the plateau up by Prospect mountain in VT. Everywhere else is back to grass.

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Rear door open holder check. Works as a bumper and locks with a little tap.

Great for warm weather touring !

Attachments

• IMG_7534.jpg
    IMG_7534.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_7535.jpg
    IMG_7535.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_7536.jpg
    IMG_7536.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 400

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Found some winter up north. Might be one more dumping of sno for us next week!

Attachments

• IMG_7540.jpg
    IMG_7540.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 344

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Looks like some other people I know found sno with a cat up north this weekend also!

-digits cold

Attachments

• IMG_7542.jpg
    IMG_7542.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 344

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Got the tracks all reversed . Changed out the slider bolts. Greased the wheels. Adjusted the tension.

Just in time for the blizzard we are getting today !

Track Addict

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Thanks Mother Nature for a little end of season boost.

Put a few smiles on and the tracks seem to ride a little smoother this way.

Heavy wet sno!

Question on the front carriers? The adjusters are both on in the front of the tracks. I believe these are on backwards .

Doesn't make sense to have that adjuster take all the impact being the front wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_7571.jpg
    IMG_7571.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 298

tatman

SUPER Site Supporter
On my Tucker the back adjusters are bolted solid and the tracks are adjusted in the front. The manual says that's the way Tucker intended.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
On my Tucker the back adjusters are bolted solid and the tracks are adjusted in the front. The manual says that's the way Tucker intended.

Think about it. You want the strongest, least amount of wobble when going forward on the carrier. The tension on the belts is highest behind the drive sprocket and less on the forward side when going forward. Tatman and manual correct.