• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1968 Tucker 542, new project

Sno-Surfer

This one was taken this morning. Took the kids up to here from the house and yes they were late for school.

IMG_4842.jpg

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Someone has been chugging the orange Kool-Aid. Looks like you got all the problems figured out except how to keep the icicles offin your teeth.

sno-drifter

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
This one was taken this morning. Took the kids up to here from the house and yes they were late for school.

Got your priorities right, don't let the school get in the way of your kid's education.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
At least it is still snow trac red the pontoon track system seems to work pretty good I'm still partial to rubber belts I love the body on the old tuckers some day maybe I can get one with rubber rather than steel tracks

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
this is pretty cool. nice machine! my whole life i have admired the tucker, especially the older ones. never felt like i had anything big enough for ownership, as in shop space, tow rig, etc. but maybe one day. . .

im curious how is the top speed compared to a smaller machine?

IMHO, speed is not the issue, but rather, coming back out in the same machine you went in with, just remember, it is the journey ...

stay orange and tucker on

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I like those pictures .
i'm hauling batteries up to a failing solar setup today at 5000ft. maybe i'll get a picture of something red.jim

KT3survivor

IMHO, speed is not the issue, but rather, coming back out in the same machine you went in with, just remember, it is the journey ...

stay orange and tucker on

i was a little iffy about asking this. . . . not trying to be the jeremy clarkson in the room. just curiosity having never ridden in a tucker, only watched them from a far.

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
i was a little iffy about asking this. . . . not trying to be the jeremy clarkson in the room. just curiosity having never ridden in a tucker, only watched them from a far.

Mr. Jeremy Clarkson,

the faster you go, the sooner, you will be needing to fix things, and from watching more than one of your shows, there is always a LOT of repairs to be made:yum:

It does seem, that James May and Richard Hammond, both do attempt to answer the listeners questions and bring balance to Mr Clarkson's child like ways, so...

it seems quite clear, that on hard pack, will traveled road, covered with snow, a Tucker Sno-cat will be slower and in fresh unpacked sno, everyone will be following a Tucker Sno-cat, overall, a Tucker likes the 5 to 8 mph speeds, and believe just about all the older machines do to, all benefit from these very reasonable speeds,

as for the new machines, speed seems to be the quest, and here, maybe, Mr Clarkson could be of service in aswering this question.

so, remember, Mr Clarkson, speed kills:yum::yum::yum:

my response is in good nature and meant not to offend none Tucker Sno-cat owners:smile::smile::smile:

Sno-Surfer

Today my friend came over and we snowmobiled from the house to Kingsley reservioir. We haven't had snow like this in a while. So rare we can ride from here. I'll be out either tomorrow or Sunday or both....
We did come across this snow catter out there. He was getting his machine out before it got worst. He was about 10 miles out, still 4 to go from here. He is traveling about 1mph. He would use the digger to pull him forward at times. The steeper hills looks exciting.
They use this for building mt bike trails and left it out too long.

IMG_4866.jpg

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
NOW, there is a snow cat that a Tucker Sno-Cat is faster than, finally something slow than a Tucker Sno-Cat. Tucker Sno-Cat is no longer the slowest on the sno. YEAH !!!

Pontoon Princess

Cattitute
GOLD Site Supporter
Puyallup ridge.

really been waiting with baited breath to hear, how you and your new/old tucker sno-cat did, being your first time out with it and all, great machine and sure glad you came to the orange side of sno...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

we are all, wanting photos, jim and his tucker sno-cat

Sno-Surfer

Looks like I'm going to take my son and maybe a couple others out tomorrow and look for some fresh snow. I'm just putting a small tool bag together and made some stake sides to hold things on the back in the mean time until the rear box is done. Any suggestions on must or really should have tools? I noticed the Princess has a small punch that drives out cotter pins, I can see that being handy. I have a small tool bag with a basic set in there now, hammer, pliers, wrenches, vise grips, I'm about to load up on cotter pins too, etc.
Not sure where we are going yet. It doesn't need to be too far. :smile:

Sno-Surfer

IMG_4895.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

We passed a newer Tucker grooming up hill for the snowmobile club. They really liked the 542. I didn't get the camera out in time but my son had a fresh groomed run all the way down.

Sno-Surfer

Up rd 44 and then right on ? At the crest and then towards lookout mt.
I think went about 20 miles in all today. No problems at all, just a nice ride high above the snow. This is a real sno cat. I crawled around some off road areas and it just easily walked through it all and lots more power than I'm used to. I was temped to go a few places because I knew I could. These big pontoons just really make it seem as if I can go about anywhere there is snow. Really great day out. Super cold so it was nice to be inside the cab.
I just keep looking at the tracks go round and round and all those rolling pieces and links and cotter pins all still seem to be on there. I keep waiting for things to start flying off!:unsure: but it just rolls on. I'm sure it didn't even break a sweat today. This runs really well and with Pontoon Princesses massaging, replacing, building, adjusting and tuning this up, it feels ready for anything.
I'll be out again in a couple days. Might try up around Adams area.

Sno-Surfer

Wow, what a winter to have a Sno Cat. It's dumping at my house right now (although supposed to rain later) and it looks like we are heading out to play around Adams today. May not get many pictures because it's a stormy day but I'll try.
My Sno Cat fever seems to be under control now. Really helps to have large doses of snow during Christmas break and extra time for catting around.
Took a day off from catting yesterday and went skiing for the second time this season. It was incredible. Sunny, no wind and the snow is sooo good!!
:wow::w00t2:

Sno-Surfer

Here are a few photos from yesterday. Took my buddy from Santa Barbra out. I think he would have driven around all night. This is on the north side of Hood.
Tucker didn't break a sweat on this one.

IMG_4996.jpg

IMG_4960.jpg

IMG_4969.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

IMG_5005.jpg

Sno-Surfer

You are sure good at hiding your disappointment over selling the snowtrac.

I'm getting used to this real quick.:biggrin:
I also chopped away a bit of a stump and now have 8'6" to squeeze through and connect to cloud cap rd. :brows: will have to get an earlier start for that though.
I have some places in mind I can't wait to take this. The 500 pontoons are just amazing. It seems good on gas too! I used 5 gallons on my estimated 20 mile trip the other day.

Sno-Surfer

First off, Merry Christmas to all. I've really enjoyed getting to know some of you the last couple of years. What a great group and even more fun than I would have imagined. I hope you all get your cats out this season.
It's been feeling a lot like Christmas lately with the new Tucker. The Princess called and said to come out and pick up the new rear bench. It really looks nice. Then to top it off she had my son stamp his name and date on it. So on it went and off we went back home.
Today we loaded it up and brought some visiting friends on a round about way sno catting to Cooper spur ski area. Took us almost two hours to get there. Parked at the gate at cloud cap Rd and walked up to the ski area and the kids skied all day. My wife and I took a xcountry tour. Then drove a different group of friends back down in the dark. Fantastic day and evening out. Really got to test the sno cats abilities in some off camber tight areas so a couple steep spots. No problem at all for this sno cat.
Just going to post some pics, sorry no night shots.

IMG_5024.jpg

IMG_5021.jpg

IMG_5022.jpg

IMG_5029.jpg

IMG_5030.jpg