• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Grease NippleBleeding Tool

Alpine Man

My Bombi manual says there is a grease nipple bleeding tool, in the event you put to much tension on the track tightners. Does anyone know where to get one of these?

Don

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
go here https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...jICIDA&usg=AFQjCNHzdN4xtZisY6BJJALZhe9Ijwcnxw

1468.jpg

Alpine Man

Sorry, but that is not what it is suppose to be. It is some sort of a tool to depress the ball in the end of the grease nipple to let the grease out.

Thanks
Don

undy

Not sure where you'd find one. I just use a screwdriver, or else I remove the zerk entirely.

R

Reddog

+1 on remove the nipple, or depress the ball in the end of the fitting with any available pokey thingy. Removing the fitting seems to work best as the grease is thick and bleeds out SLLOOOOWWWLYYYY......

Fishing

That's what I was doing and one was under so much pressure it tore the threads out before it was all the way out. Had to remove the cylinder and repair it. I think I'll. Make some sort of a bleeder valve.
Don

undy

Don,

I think mine was near to damaging threads too. (It didn't though.)

Have you tried simply depressing the ball bearing on the tip of the zerk? Almost any tool can work. It should release a small stream of grease... ?

R

Reddog

I (almost) never say stuff like this, but if that rascal is under that type of extreme pressure, wear gloves and glasses. last thing you need whilst out in the boonies is getting a high pressure stream of grease under your skin or in an eye.
(Holy Sheet, I sound like my old man...)

Dakota Kid

When you get the zerk out you could file a channel through the bottom threads, then all you would have to do is back the zerk out a short way to release pressure.

Cidertom

Chionophile
GOLD Site Supporter
My experience is with IH dozers, so may not apply to your setting. One trick in adjusting tracks was making certain that they were not loaded. Loading in this instance is the tension when they are parked with a motion. The tension would cause high pressure. The solution is slightly reversing the direction once stopped (just bumping it). I found this out when loosening the tracks for extreme cold, and having to recharge once moving the TD6, just a few feet. make certain they are mostly free first.

JimVT

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
I made a point on the end of a extension that fit through my socket. turned it out or released the grease while socket was on it. it worked for me because I never had that high of pressure.

Fishing

There's good suggestions here. I'm going up to the cabin for a week off fishing and will be trying to balance the tracks to correct the steering pull and see how that goes. If I get one side too tight I will employ one of these ideas.

Thanks
Don

Cletis

FWIW, About 15 yrs or so ago we were replacing the complete undercarriage on an IR drill. A co worker and I had one side disassembled and went home for the day and were placed on different task the following day. One of the mechanics that went to complete the task we started was removing the other side and was having a bit of difficulty releasing the track adjuster. It was under extreme pressure when he removed the zerk which blew straight into his chest with a good amount of grease injected into his chest at the same time. They had to preform an emergency trac while on the way to the hospital and lost him a cpl times because it was cutting off his air. He lived but basically ruined his life. Over the years the grease kept working it's way out of his body while he kept having operations to remove different body parts that the grease contaminated badly. Have a healthy respect for removing zerks that could be under extreme pressure now.

undy

Well now, that's sobering. Uff-da!

Cletis, Thanks for the warning!!

Sort of reminds me of a story I read about a guy who inadvertently sprayed brake cleaner onto hot metal and inhaled. Be careful! You just never know when a "simple" task will turn ugly and bite.