• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Youngest Iditarod Champion Crowned in Alaska

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
2012-03-14T091844Z_3_CBRE82D0IJ700_RTROPTP_2_CSPORTS-US-IDITAROD-ALASKA.JPG

Interesting story, this guy competed against not only his father, but also his grandfather, in the famed race (as well as all the other competitors). At 25 years old, not only is he the first 3rd generation musher to win, but he is also the youngest person to win the race.

For the FULL STORY => http://news.yahoo.com/youngest-iditarod-race-champion-crowned-nome-064006392.html
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (Reuters) - Dallas Seavey, competing against both his father and grandfather, won the 40th annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race on Tuesday, becoming the youngest musher crowned champion of the storied Alaska event. . .

Seavey and a team of nine dogs crossed the finish line in the Bering Sea town of Nome with a winning time of nine days, four hours, 29 minutes and 26 seconds after an epic 1,000-mile (1,600-km) trek from Anchorage.

. . .

Seavey also defeated his father, 2004 Iditarod champion Mitch Seavey, who was in seventh place as of Tuesday afternoon.

Dallas Seavey's 74-year-old grandfather, Dan Seavey, a veteran of the very first Iditarod in 1973, also competed this year and was in 53rd place when his grandson crossed the Nome finish line.

. . .

Heavy snows made for slow travel on parts of the trail this year, but conditions were considered safer than usual. Seavey, a former state wrestling champion, used his athletic training to gain an edge in the race. He spent much of the journey running along his sled, lightening the load for his dogs. He wore custom-made snow boots that incorporated elements of running shoes. For winning this year's contest, Seavey will take home a $50,400 cash prize and a new truck, part of a total race purse valued at $550,000. At the finish line, Seavey said: "My grandfather is in the race, my dad is in the race and myself in the race ... It's a great reminder of sled dogs and how important the heritage of sled dogs is to Alaska." Sixty-six mushers and their dog teams started the Iditarod on March 3 in Anchorage. As of Tuesday, 11 had dropped out of competition. They included four-time champion Jeff King, who was attempting a comeback after sitting out of last year's race.

This year was a good race although I'd thought Aily Zirkle was looking like she had it once they finished down the Yukon and got to the coast. Congrats to the young buck Dallas, I like the way he runs with the dogs.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
i was ou at safety today with 4 clients hugh neff and michelle phillips came through they stopped had a few drinks with the guests rubbed noses and shook hands real people people i have a new respect for these mushers

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
i was ou at safety today with 4 clients hugh neff and michelle phillips came through they stopped had a few drinks with the guests rubbed noses and shook hands real people people i have a new respect for these mushers
Cool! :biggrin:
Still waiting for anything pix you got from the race, Don.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
ive got lots will be after the big rush around here put on 90 miles on the snow tac shuttling people around yester day

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
It seems to me, the Iditarod race is going to the dogs.

Congrats to Dallas on the win.

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
as promised here are some pics from my iditarod this year the first round is showing northern lights ,and some nome golivin race the weekend prior to the mushers comming in

Attachments

• iditarod 013.jpg
    iditarod 013.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 176
  • iditarod 014.jpg
    iditarod 014.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 180
  • iditarod 016.jpg
    iditarod 016.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 171
  • iditarod 019.jpg
    iditarod 019.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 178
  • iditarod 025.jpg
    iditarod 025.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 177
  • iditarod 026.jpg
    iditarod 026.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 174
  • iditarod 028.jpg
    iditarod 028.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 176
  • iditarod 031.jpg
    iditarod 031.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 181
  • iditarod 001.jpg
    iditarod 001.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 178

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
ive got more here are some of dallas seevy and hugh neff hugh actualy took a ride back to safety with me in the snow trac to see a few other mushers come in

Attachments

• iditarod 041.jpg
    iditarod 041.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 171
  • iditarod 055.jpg
    iditarod 055.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 174
  • iditarod 053.jpg
    iditarod 053.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 165
  • iditarod 048.jpg
    iditarod 048.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 167
  • iditarod 047.jpg
    iditarod 047.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 166
  • iditarod 046.jpg
    iditarod 046.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 172
  • iditarod 040.jpg
    iditarod 040.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 162
  • iditarod 039.jpg
    iditarod 039.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 168

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
the name of the dog in the picture is geroge castanza he came out of john bakers kennels Hugh gets all his dogs from baker

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
you wern't planning to come along to cook i might add i also like cornd beef hash grits and biscuts with my breakfast

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
more pics some folks taking a ride to photograph the musk ox and more mushers one of a natural ice sculpture on the beach and some of the sun rise atop of cape nome

Attachments

• iditarod 056.jpg
    iditarod 056.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 167
  • iditarod 071.jpg
    iditarod 071.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 165
  • iditarod 070.jpg
    iditarod 070.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 160
  • iditarod 068.jpg
    iditarod 068.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 156
  • iditarod 063.jpg
    iditarod 063.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 160
  • iditarod 062.jpg
    iditarod 062.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 163
  • iditarod 061.jpg
    iditarod 061.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 170
  • iditarod 060.jpg
    iditarod 060.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 170
  • iditarod 058.jpg
    iditarod 058.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 170

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
some sunrise vews from the top of cape nome also some mushers comming over the cape , hugh neff visiting with my family and a musher comming into safety

Attachments

• iditarod 071.jpg
    iditarod 071.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 144
  • iditarod 073.jpg
    iditarod 073.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 145
  • iditarod 074.jpg
    iditarod 074.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 156
  • iditarod 076.jpg
    iditarod 076.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 153
  • iditarod 077.jpg
    iditarod 077.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 147
  • iditarod 080.jpg
    iditarod 080.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 138
  • iditarod 082.jpg
    iditarod 082.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 142
  • iditarod 089.jpg
    iditarod 089.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 145

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
dds,

Get a second machine, and I will get a reservation.....I'm all in.

Great pictures of a classic story and race.

Regards, Kirk

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
some sunrise vews from the top of cape nome also some mushers comming over the cape , hugh neff visiting with my family and a musher comming into safety
:applause:You should be an on the scene man, and submit your photos to National Geographic!

Snowtrac Nome

GOLD Site Supporter
thanks pg i don't know if my photos are quite that good yet but i'm trying to allow you all see what life is like in the arctic to you Kirk i will keep you up to date on st #2 hope to have that deal sealled by this summer what would be cool is to one day drive the whole trail behind the mushers it's now on my bucket list of things to do just another way to show how snowtracs rule and krustys drool.