• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Welcome......

OkeeDon

B_Skurka said:
The concept of conservative, at least to me, dictates that I do exactly the types of things that I have been doing, which is private sector generosity in place of public sector.

Ah, and now we get to the real nub of things (which is why Bob and I are friends). There are true conservatives and pseudo conservatives, just as there are true liberals and phoney liberals. Frankly, the pseudos and the phoneys deserve every epithet they throw at each other; in other words, for every Michael Moore there is an Sean Hannity; for every Rush Limbaugh there is an Al Franken; and for every Jesse Jackson there is an Ann Coulter.

In an ideal world, if every conservative was a true conservative, and followed the example of Bob and others here with their generosity, there would be no need for liberals like me. I recognize, however, that too many of the so-called conservatives are only in it for themselves, and begrudge any alms to their lessers, thus it is necessary for the government to step in and set things right.

The pseudo conservatives are in it for what they can grub for themselves. The irony is the phoney liberals are in it for the same reason, except they don't want to earn and keep it in the first place, thus are actually worse.

The true conservative does want to teach someone to fish. So does the true liberal. The pseudo conservative wants to keep the riff-raff off the water, and the phoney liberal wants someone else to do the fishing.

Interestingly, the pseudo conservative and the phoney liberal are both racist, both prejudiced, both blind, and both stupid.

In deciding whether to be a true conservative or a true liberal, however, one has to look at the subtleties. In the current environment, being a conservative means one aligns oneself with right-wing religious movements who want to force their way of thinking upon the entire populace through laws. This is actually counter-conservative if one believes in individual rights or even states' rights. It could be argued that those who want to change laws regarding abortion, prayers in school, and many other issues, via the Federal government, more correctly belong to the left-wing, where it's accepted that government will have an undue influence upon our lives. But, the right wing has pandered to them in order to win elections.

Then, there is economic success. The right has tried for at least 17 years through 3 presidencies (Reagan, Bush, Bush) to prove that their economic theories hold water. To call oneself a conservative means that one has to align themselves with that obvious failure (well, it's obvious to me, anyway, I'd like to see a realistic argument to the contrary).

Finally, there is the simple greed and selfishness that leads so-called conservatives to strip and rape environmental laws, reduce or eliminate penalties for environmental damage, raise corporate welfare, reward companies for sending jobs overseas, reduce taxes on the wealthy while eliminating necessary expenditures for health, food safety, infrastructure and the like, and so many other examples of simple greed there isn't room for them all.

The ultimate insult to true liberals (who should more properly be called Progressives or New Democrats), is the blanket tactic of the pseudo right to tar and feather any mention of the term "liberal" or to ostracize anyone who calles themself a progressive. There is no corresponding attack on the right from the left. In other words, progressives are just plain nicer people than pseudo conservatives.

Thus, I'm proud to call myself a true liberal. And, I think that Bob Skurka, Dargo, bczoom and a few others here are true conservatives. I respect that, because I don't think they fit my description of a pseudo conservative. Of course, I also feel sorry for them because they can't see the true light, but I try to keep my pity within bounds...;)

The irony is that the aforementioned conservatives are sometimes caught in liberal activities, and that I'm probably more of a fiscal conservative than anyone in the current spend-happy administration (they call liberals "tax and spend"; I call them "borrow and spend even more". The sad part is that the interest and the associated costs of borrowing probably cost us more than the taxes).

Harrumph. If all of the foregoing doesn't get me booted off, then this forum has hope...

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Nixon ...glad you made it over to the 'dark' side. :) :)

I think we can have some fun here, along with open discussions with minimal censorship. I hope you enjoy the site ...and if you like it tell you other forum buddies.
Thanks!

Junkman

Extra Super Moderator
The political discussion of this thread has been moved to the Political Forum. The posts by OkeeDon and B Skurka have been move there and are also still here to there will be continuity. If you would like to reply to either of them or make your own political statement, please go to the Political Forum.
Junk, Forums Moderator

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Greetings, All! Thought y'all might need a lawyer to pick on once and a while so I took Junkman up on his invite. Let the fun begin!!:) :) :)

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Ah ha! Half my college buddies and my baby sister are attorneys. I have tons of lawyer jokes; all from them! Finally, I can get back to normal and tick someone off here too.:D

Just don't tell my sister though. She's one of those big time hot shot attorneys at a law firm whose letterhead literally has 168 attorney names on it!! (what's up with that anyway?!) She'll pull some of that lawyer crap on me, tell my mom, and remind me yet again that I dropped out of law school on day one.:eek:

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
As far as the lawyer jokes go, BRING 'EM ON! As far as free legal advice, well ... You get what you pay for.:D

Sneaky Pete

Charter Member
Looks like fun; my only problem is that I already spend way too much time on TBN and two Yahoo Groups mailing lists instead of working. I'll check in when I can.

Pete

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
Hey, guys wait for me to catch up! Thanks for the invite Junk!

I guess you're not really somebody 'till you get booted off the other site.
:bling:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Hey Av8r, welcome to our site. I do believe you are the 50th member to join. I'm trying to come up with something a little special to recognize the first 50 members on here. Junk has a posted a poll in Junkmans Corner asking your preference of titles. Be sure to ck it out.
Thanks for joining ....and post often! :D

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r_2230 said:

Hey Av8r,
Glad you joined us.
Did you get booted as well?
Just a heads up (since you'll need to play catch-up on the posts here), if your TBN ID does work, don't use their PM to discuss this forum or you probably will get the boot.

Brian

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r_2230 said:
Hey, guys wait for me to catch up! Thanks for the invite Junk!

:bling:

Nice to have you here. Not all of us are booted from TBN. Some are members in good standing at both places. Some got booted. And a few of us are still welcome over there, but we quit because of some of the things they did.

Its a bit more relaxed here:sun1: and a bit more candid :fart2:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
No, I haven't been booted *yet* but it has become so vanilla and uninformative there that it is hardly worth looking at any more.:5boobs:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Av8r_2230 said:
it has become so vanilla and uninformative there that it is hardly worth looking at any more.:5boobs:

I tend to agree with you on that and that is pretty sad too.

The one thing I do miss about TBN is the depth of knowledge that exists there on some specific tractor related issues. But beyond getting some specific questions answered, TBN became both boring and upsetting at the same time for me. I'm looking forward to doing some photo comparision threads on this site, and perhaps on Neil's site. (rear blades, landscape rakes, and maybe snow blowers need to photographed . . . I guess I'll have to remember my sign on name & password for his site, its been a long time since I logged in there. I poke my nose in there a couple times a week, but don't post. That too will change).

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I have been popping in every so often and it's just not the same. None of the originals or long time guys post anymore. Rookies:sun1:

JayC

Huh?
thcri said:
I have been popping in every so often and it's just not the same. None of the originals or long time guys post anymore. Rookies:sun1:

ditto8pi.gif

It's sad, too. I pretty much just lurk around there anymore. It has definately changed. :(:cry:

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Welcome Moweraxle. I hope you enjoy yourself here.

How in the world did ya get a handle like that? :)

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Moweraxle, sounds like a story behind that handle. Welcome to Forums, where every one has their say. :beer: :boobies:

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith has no more feinds to invite

Look John, I have loads more friends, theyre just not, ah, um, real, but that doesnt matter, I've still got em, right? :eek:

:eek: :D

Mith

The Eccentric Englishman
SUPER Site Supporter
Well Dr Bone, whatever rings you bell, I know John prefers sheep, but im not sure how well they can type with hooves, maybe we need to make a sheep-freindly keyboard.
Do you have many firends, er, I mean, blow up dolls? :D

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Mith said:
Look John, I have loads more friends, theyre just not, ah, um, real, but that doesnt matter, I've still got em, right? :eek:

:eek: :D
Feinds, friends, the same! At least in my world!!! :wave: :moon:

Does anyone hear birds?:whistle:

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
Jim; All you have to do is superglue pencils to their hooves, and give them a comfortable chair. Sheep have an inate ability for literary composition the likes of which TS Eliot would be proud. The best thing about them is that if you take away the pencils, they can't tell on you!!:coolshade :beer:

BoneheadNW

Mith said:
Well Dr Bone, whatever rings you bell, I know John prefers sheep, but im not sure how well they can type with hooves, maybe we need to make a sheep-freindly keyboard.
Do you have many firends, er, I mean, blow up dolls? :D

I do, in fact. They have many uses. For example, fall into the water and can't swim, throw em a blow up doll. Invited to a party and don't have a date? No problem, Missy here just needs a dress and some fancying up and VOILA! Instant date. John even uses his to practice CPR, or so he says. :beer:
Bonehead

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
moweraxle said:
DOC
yes it is, are you into compact tractors? if so what make and model?
moweraxle,
First, welcome to the forum.
I would say probably 90% of the forum members here have compact tractors. I think I'll start a thread to get a forum inventory.