• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Trump denies Pelosi aircraft for foreign trip in response to call for State of the

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Trump denies Pelosi aircraft for foreign trip in response to call for State of the Union delay
By Brooke Singman, Chad Pergram, John Roberts | Fox News

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/tr...response-to-call-for-state-of-the-union-delay

President Trump on Thursday abruptly denied military aircraft to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi for a foreign trip just minutes before the congressional delegation was set to depart, in a stunning response to her call to delay the State of the Union address amid the government shutdown.

In a curt letter, Trump said her trip has been “postponed.”

“Due to the Shutdown, I am sorry to inform you that your trip to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan has been postponed. We will reschedule this seven-day excursion when the Shutdown is over. In light of the 800,000 great American workers not receiving pay, I am sure you would agree that postponing this public relations event is totally appropriate,” Trump wrote.

“I also feel that, during this period, it would be better if you were in Washington negotiating with me and joining the Strong Border Security movement to end the Shutdown. Obviously, if you would like to make your journey by flying commercial, that would certainly be your prerogative.”

According to sources, the president pulled the plug on her aircraft as she was about to leave for her overseas trip. Her congressional delegation military aircraft was slated to leave at 3 p.m. ET.

A senior White House official also told Fox News that all congressional delegation travel by military aircraft is now postponed.

A source told Fox News that when moving to cancel Thursday's flight, the White House reasoned that the trip would keep Pelosi out of the country beyond next Tuesday night—when the next government pay period would occur.

"If she had gone on this trip she would have guaranteed that 800,000 federal workers would not receive their second paycheck because she would not have been here to negotiate any kind of deal," a senior White House official said Thursday.

Republicans had a split response over the president's abrupt move.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., said it was "completely appropriate."

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., called it "inappropriate."

"One sophomoric response does not deserve another. Speaker Pelosi’s threat to cancel the State of the Union is very irresponsible and blatantly political," he tweeted.

The president's move to cancel Pelosi's trip came in response to the House speaker's request to delay his annual State of the Union address. The president has been slated to deliver his message to a Joint Session of Congress on Jan. 29, but Pelosi urged the president to delay his delivery until the government re-opens, or deliver the address in writing.

The speaker stood by that call earlier Thursday.

“The date of the State of the Union is not a sacred date. It’s not constitutionally required. It’s not the president’s birthday. It’s just a date we agreed to,” Pelosi told reporters during a press conference on Capitol Hill Thursday. “That’s why I said to the president, if you don’t open up government, let’s discuss a mutually agreeable date.”

She added: “It could be a week later—if the government is reopened.”

For more than 24 hours, Trump did not respond to Pelosi's request, even as fellow Republican condemned her push for delay.

Congressional lawmakers, meanwhile, were left sitting on a bus waiting to see if they could depart. Fox News is told Capitol Hill security officials got an emergency call from the Pentagon canceling the overseas trip due to the shutdown.

Amid mounting confusion, Fox News is told there were furious calls going back and forth among Capitol Hill, State, Pentagon and White House offices. The bus later returned to the Capitol, where members filed back into the building.

When asked for additional context about the congressional delegation and the apparent trip delay, White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders reiterated that Pelosi could fly commercial: "The Department of Defense has to approve military air travel. As he made clear in the letter she can still go she just has to travel commercial."

The rhetoric continues to show both sides of the standoff refusing to step off their positions that triggered the funding lapse shortly before the holidays last month.

Trump wants upwards of $6 billion for a border wall, while Pelosi and Democrats have described such a project as immoral. The two sides have been unable to strike a deal that both bridges their differences and re-opens a slew of shuttered agencies.

The shutdown, which is now the longest in U.S. history, has left more than 800,000 federal workers and contractors without pay. Some federal employees have been deemed essential to government function and are required to work without pay. Others have been furloughed, but still are left unpaid.

Fox News' Jennifer Bowman contributed to this report.

Brooke Singman is a Politics Reporter for Fox News. Follow her on Twitter at @brookefoxnews.

Attachments

• FFA69019-5F55-4B5E-BF49-CB511E0DE189.jpg
    FFA69019-5F55-4B5E-BF49-CB511E0DE189.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 66

FrancSevin

Proudly Deplorable
GOLD Site Supporter
Nancy Pelosi believes, and has stated, that her position is equal to that of the President of the United States because she is Speaker of the House. She is Constitutionally, and functionally WRONG!

Nancy is Speaker of the House. The result of being elected "Congressman" amoung 235 other such lowly figures in our National government. There isn't a lower level elected office in the national Government. She represents her constituents from San Francisco, not the nation of the USA.

She has no business doing foreign affairs when her domestic work remains unfinished. Further, whilst many Federal Workers are doing their duty without pay, she should at least remain in DC, along with all her Congressional rat friends, and do their sworn duty to serve the people.

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Franc than you for the above post. Reading it made me realize that the choice of words I would use to describe the speaker of the House would have been more representative of the extreme anger I feel every time this woman takes a breath of the same air we breath.... :hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

My choice of verbage would have be much more colorful indeed...… :angry:

Yours is much more shall we say civil....

Regards, Kirk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
THIS THIS THIS...

This is what I voted for!!!

Want to act like a child, Nancy, you get treated like one.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
The wheels on the bus go round and round
Round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bus go round and round
All through the town

The people on the bus go up and down
Up and down, up and down
The people on the bus go up and down
All through the town

Screen Shot 2019-01-17 at 8.22.21 PM.png

:yum::th_lmao::yum::th_lmao::thumbup::clap:

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Politicians are petty asses!

This is hysterical

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
You'd think after the campaign and two yrs of presidency she'd have learned when you punch Trump there's gonna be an immediate and swift punch in reply. Like the saying goes "there's slow learners and no learners"!!
Mike

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You'd think after the campaign and two yrs of presidency she'd have learned when you punch Trump there's gonna be an immediate and swift punch in reply. Like the saying goes "there's slow learners and no learners"!!
Mike

True story, Mike. :th_lmao:

road squawker

GOLD Site Supporter
Heck, He shoulda cancelled the bus too, and made the biotch walk

Attachments

• bus1.jpg
    bus1.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 34

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Air traffic controller: Botox One has been grounded. Botox One has been grounded.

This is all the funniest shit I have heard in a long time.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Air traffic controller: Botox One has been grounded. Botox One has been grounded.

This is all the funniest shit I have heard in a long time.

Yes, I agree. You could say that it is two spoiled children trying to spite one another but I can see it creating a problem for Trump. HOW DOES HE TOP THAT. It's the funniest thing that I've heard of ever in politics. I bet that she'll still be fuming when they lay her to rest.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Yes, I agree. You could say that it is two spoiled children trying to spite one another but I can see it creating a problem for Trump. HOW DOES HE TOP THAT. It's the funniest thing that I've heard of ever in politics. I bet that she'll still be fuming when they lay her to rest.

Oh, kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go
'Cause I'm leavin' on a jet plane
Don't know when I'll be back again
Oh babe, I hate to....wait, President Trump cancelled our trip and told us to get off the bus....LOL

:clap::yum::thumbup::th_lmao: