• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Wanted: Refrigerator appearance piece

OkeeDon

When we finally get going on our new house, it will be in the country farm house style. Our kitchen will be part of the "one big room" my wife asked for, so she is never isolated from any activities. Also, the kitchen will be in the style of a farm house kitchen without cabinets. The sink, stove and fridge will be stand-alones, and furniture, such as hutches, dry sink, butcher block, shelves, etc., will take the place of cabinets.

For some time, I've been looking for the right appliances to complement this look. I have a restored claw-foot bathtub, and we're still looking for the right stove and kitchen sink (probably porcelain, with legs and a gingham skirt).

However, I recently found the "right" fridge on Ebay. It's a 1954 General Electric in perfect working order. It was repainted with a weak spray can and has a small rust hole near the bottom, but otherwise is in beautiful shape for it's age. I have a quote to get the rust repaired, all the dings removed and a professional paint job.

It is missing one piece. The crisper trays on the bottom are white porcelain, but they had front appearance panels attached. One tray, the "Vegetables" tray, still has the panel attached in reasonable condition, but the other tray's panel is missing. It looks just like the "Vegetables" panel but has "Fruits" engraved on it.

The chances of any one person knowing where such a panel might be are pretty remote, but maybe the collective scavanging of the forum might turn me up the missing piece. Unless it's obscenely high, price is not too much of an issue to get it right. I have $200 in the purchase and will have $300 more in the paint work.

Attachments

• dscn0594.jpg
    dscn0594.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 381
  • fridge-design2.jpg
    fridge-design2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 382

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
OK Don, I have to tell you, I thought I was nuts (yup I agreed with the lovely Mrs B) when I bought the Snow Trac to restore it. But you have really topped me for the prize. Restoring a refrigerator?

But I will grant you that while I can't help in any way, I'm really curious to see your progress, the prep, paint, and to hear about the parts search. Please post updates and photos. I can't help but be fascinated.

I do understand wanting "the look" but I'm not sure I'd go quite this far.

I have to admit, I do :applause: you for your dedication to "the look."

Deerlope

I did refrigeration for many years, When the time comes to replace the compressor or if a leak developes and you have to have freon put into it you will think that you just bought the farm.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
You go Don......

The wife and I LOVE stuff like that. We found and I fixed an early 60's GE range. It has a single light bar across the top with a chrome valance and in the center is a little plastic button with the GE emblem on it that lights up. It cooks like a champ!

We also have a late 60's Fridgadaire Flair. The burners are on a tray like set up that pull out and the oven is up top. We put this in the little house in TN.

We junk all the time for appliances and lamps and things. I'll keep an eye out for you!

1.jpg

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Whatever stove is in that pic is the exact same one that was in our house when I was growing up.

Cowboyjg

Country Club Member
Site Supporter
bczoom said:
Whatever stove is in that pic is the exact same one that was in our house when I was growing up.

Brian, it's a 1962 Frigidaire Flair. They even had a model with the controls for the burners on the tray instead of up top.

dirtybernie

that looks alot like my garage fridge. its a very old "cold spot" that was given to me about 10yrs back. the only problem ive ever had was the door gasket was dry rotted and fell apart making the freezer build up with ice. i took the door sealing gasket from a ford ranger and cut it to size and it works great! i honestly think that fridge will out last me and i hope it does as it keeps the beer super cold!:a1:

OkeeDon

The interesting thing is that while it is not built as energy efficient as today's models, I'm told that it will still cost less to operate because it does not have a self-defrost mode. Apparently it's the melting and refreezing associated with self-defrost that makes refrigerators more expensive to operate. Of course, we will have to get into a manual defrost mode, again, but it's not that bad. My RV fridges have all been manual defrost, and I never have turned any of them off (I always keep an RV plugged in to the house). They have to be defrosted about twice a year.

It's also interesting that you mentioned the garage fridge. I have one, too, called the "beer fridge" even though it has all kinds of soft drinks as well as the adult beverage. I've always had one, and I suspect many of you do, also. When I started to design my new house, I gave that some thought. To tell the truth, the "period" kitchen in the main room is a bit of a "show" kitchen. I will use the stove to cook our meals, and the sink to do quick rinse jobs on dishes and fill pots, and serve from the work surfaces we're planning as part of the kitchen furniture. But, behind the scenes (actually, behind a pair of swinging cafe doors), will be the Utility Kitchen. This will have the pantry, a small appliance garage (actually shelves), some cabinets for pots and pans and cookie sheets and Tupperware and such. It will also have a large, deep cleanup sink, a cutting board, and the dishwasher. The idea is that initial food prep (such as cutting up meat or washing vegetables) will be done in the utlity kitchen, then the ready-to-cook food will be transferred to the main kitchen, where Betsy or I can cook while still spending time with guests. After dinner, the dishes, etc. will be removed to the cleanup area of the Utility Kitchen, where they can be attended to, later.

OK, back to the point about fridges. It ocurred to me that I, and others, had it backwards. Our main storage fridges are in the kitchen, even though they are storing foods that might not be used for days or weeks, while the "beer fridge", used for entertaining, is out in the garage. I decided to reverse that. The fridge I'm restoring will become the "beer fridge", and will also store such things as snacks, juices, fruit for breakfast, jellies, condiments, etc. But, no "serious" food storage will be in that one. Instead, we're planning on a huge, double Frigidaire setup that is actually two units that look like one when placed together. One side is a 17 cubic foot upright freezer with no refrigeration, and the other side is a 17 cubic foot single door refigerator with no freezer. Together, the unit is over 34 cubic feet, and is more than 5' wide.

So, when complete, we'll have our main, long-term food storage in the utility fridge, tucked away out of sight, and the entertainment items in the restored period fridge that's on display. Kind of sneaky, but it makes sense to me.

Attachments

• REF_twins_open.jpg
    REF_twins_open.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 335

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Don.........here's some pictures of my 1939 frigidaire I bought at a city auction for $30. It was sold because the door gasket needed replaced also. I got some bead type weatherstrip from a hdwe store & added a little paint & put it in my hobby garage. It stays about 35* on its lowest setting & will probably outlast me. Before, after, & in use pictures................

Attachments

• 40's fridg.jpg
    40's fridg.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 325
  • pumpfridge 2.jpg
    pumpfridge 2.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 332
  • cold storage.jpg
    cold storage.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 331

dirtybernie

you just HAD to show me that! now my fridge just aint cuttin it.:yum:

thats very creative and a job well done. thanks for sharing!:thumb:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
Thanks !! I'd do another one if I could find another good fridge. This one was a 1/2 size office or breakroom unit & I haven't seen any others around. I saw a full size one like it a guy had airbrushed a Coke machine on it, the old style machine with the vertical glass door for the bottles (10cents).........it looked so real you wanted to put money in it !!

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
Tact said:
If you ever put that fridge on the auction block let me know. It looks sweet.:applause:

I'd be even more impressed if it was a kegger, and that hose on the side was actually used to dispense the beer!! :eek::eek::thumb::thumb:

TOMLESCOEQUIP

Just Plinkin Away the $$
DaveNay said:
I'd be even more impressed if it was a kegger, and that hose on the side was actually used to dispense the beer!! :eek::eek::thumb::thumb:
I actually thought of that, but was worried about the hose & nozzle not being food grade.................