• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

hex key or allen key material

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
I need some 2' lengths of hex key or allen key materials, in metric and sae. On some of the panoramics we have to work on the set screws are in places that a regular length key just is to time consuming to work with. I have thought of the T handle sets, but the smaller diameter keys are a tad to short.

anyone know where I can buy this stuff.

DaveNay

Klaatu barada nikto
SUPER Site Supporter
You can buy the raw stock from places such as McMaster-Carr. Just type hex stock in their little search area on the left, and then select steel as your material.

The bigger problem you will have is the fact that this material is going to be soft. You need to somehow case harden it otherwise it will very quickly round off the tip while trying to tighten or loosen a screw.

According to the Eklind Tool Company, they use hardened 8650 steel, McMaster has 4140 material, which should be good enough for occasional use.

If you want to try it, you can heat treat a couple inches of the tip by using a method like this.

:wave:

humor_me

Snapon has a very good selection of hex sockets that you could use with an extension for the reach.
Your best bet is to keep the hex material as short as possible because it really flexes and can even twist under torque.
Just an alternative idea.

Himself

Humor_me is right, long lengths will twist up easily.

4140 is an oil quenching material for best results if you go this direction, be prepared because oil does burn. Crucible's website has a decent heat treat section, the Maxel 3-1/2 section is close enough for the girls I go with. Keep the heated area short or it will twist like a pretzel.
Be sure to post pictures of the burns and blisters.

I also have seen lengths of rod with a hole drilled in the end and a piece of hex key stock brazed in place.

The easiest way is to buy standard hex bits and extensions.

All the best, Martin

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Thanks guys, the area I have to get into is very limited to space. I can not get a 1/4 drive socket in the actual area where the set screw is. I have to have at least 5" of hex key, in 2.5 mm size. I may wind up buying a set, taking this one out, and jb weld it in the center of a 1/4 drive 4mm socket for permanance, then use a 1/4' drive handle to get to the set screw. With what it takes to buy tools with the company money, I buy my own, not worth the hassle.

thanks for the links, they were educational........my invention of this tool will sell for millions considering it is a one of a kind, hand made for the job. :tiphat: :wave: :coolshade

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Do you know the exact size you need? I have Allen wrenches up to about 1 1/2" and up to about 30 mm. I'd have to look for them, as I don't use them all that often, but I do have them. My FIL was a millwright for Whirlpool Corp. and he worked on huge machinery there before he passed away.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
thanks Dargo.

2.5 mm, like a needle compared to what you are talking. I am going to buy a set and make one for what I need. Not a big deal, I was just hoping for a long, long t handle one that size, but it is not to be.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
yeah that is it, but I can not get anything to work on the site to buy it. comes back blank.