• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Squerly's Burn Cage

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Needed a burn barrel but wanted something that would last longer and work better. Here's the outcome.

Burn Cage :smile:

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm not done watching but I can see the hillside burning ............. :yum:

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
You do realize your RTV worshop manual was in that first chunk of paper you threw in there... Hope you have the CD!

Looks real good. A couple questions maybe you can answer after you get a few burns through it.

How hot does that handle get?
If you "stir the pot", do a bunch of ashes come out the side and light your legs on fire?
When you go to empty the ashes, do you loose 3/4 of them in transit?

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
How hot does that handle get?
On a little fire it doesn't. On a barn burner you have to use a stick/board or wear gloves.
If you "stir the pot", do a bunch of ashes come out the side and light your legs on fire?
Yes, it is something you need to watch out for. :smile:
When you go to empty the ashes, do you loose 3/4 of them in transit?
The bottom is made of the same diagonal wire that the sides are so the ashes just fall out the bottom. Self Cleaning! :brows:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
When I was a kid we had one almost like this one:

31a2NWCYKxL.jpg

It was used almost daily and was still in good shape when we sold that house; it was left for the new owners. We had it in
in excess of 12 years so longevity was very good. It was easy to clean out too; it reduced burnables to such fine ash that I
only had to dump in about once every three weeks!

Cowboy

Wait for it.
GOLD Site Supporter
Needed a burn barrel but wanted something that would last longer and work better. Here's the outcome.

Burn Cage :smile:
Looks like it works well for you, perty good idea. :thumb:

I doubt it would work very well around here with it being windy and dry most of the time, but your idea has me thinking. :smile:

I have 4 -55 gal burn barrels I use with the sides full of bullet holes all the way around, they work well for us as long as I dump them when they get half full and keep them covered when there is any chance of rain (this year that was about 3 times).:sad: They usualy last 4 to 5 years, but they might last much longer if I had a setup like yours placed in the middle of them (protected from the wind for any paper or cardboard products). :blahblah::blahblah: :biggrin: