• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

New Compressor and Pneumatic Nailer

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
After using a borrowed Paslode Pneumatic Nailer and attempting to finish my basement project the old fashioned way; I bit the bullet and went out and bought a new compressor and pneumatic nailer.

I had shopped online at Lowes and Amazon and read the reviews and was seriously considering the cordless Paslode nailer. I stopped in Lowes to have a look. Looked nice. I could not find the nails for it and had a few questions about weight and size as the nailer was pictured but sealed inside a big ole plastic carrying case. No one was around. I waited and even pushed the button for assistance needed. No one came, nor was any clerks anywhere in sight. So I left without buying anything.

In my research I had read that some had good luck with the nail gun setups at Harbor Freight. And there was one just up the road so I figured I'd go look there and maybe try Lowes again later. Harbor Freight has Central Pneumatic Nailers and Compressors. A whole lot cheaper than Lowes. Half the price in the case of the nailer. Course that is comparing a Central Pneumatic gun to a Paslode gun. Supplies such as nails, compressor line and fittings were also a good price. I ended up getting the whole shebang at Harbor Freight. 90 warranty came with the items. I suckered for the extended replacement warranty on the nailer. I normally don't do that but it seemed like cheap insurance.

Got everything home and all hooked up and I'm pleased as punch. The gun works as good as the borrowed Paslode that I had used. It does the job just fine. And I got the whole setup for what the cordless Paslode would have cost me before buying nails and supplies. So, for now I feel good about the purchase. I hope I stay that way.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Glad that it's working for you Doc.

Quite a few years back a buddy came out to the house to help me build a deck. He gets pissed when I call him a handyman, he's a remodeler. Anyhow, he brought out his Paslode cordless. I fell in love with that thing, especially for fencing around the place. It's worked flawlessly and it's going to get another workout in a week or two.

I hope that you have as good luck with yours. It's incredible the time that they save although I find myself using a lot more nails than I otherwise would.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yeah, I bet that is a nice one. I was close to pulling the trigger on getting that one but for framing, finish nails and brads the setup I got will work great for this project. I'm already thinking a cordless setup would be perfect for building docks at the river and pond. :thumb:

I'm not a carpenter so pulling a trigger instead of hammering each nail in sure works for me.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
keep them oiled, the one thing that will kill Central Pneumatic Nailer's(other than dropping them from some high place on to concrete). and use synthetic oil for the Compressor.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Guessing you mean oiled as in the in line oiler from the compressor? I saw that in the manual but do not have one, yet.

I'm sold on synthetic oil. I used what came with the compressor for the first hour of operation then it needs changed. I will add syn at that point.

AAUTOFAB1

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
Guessing you mean oiled as in the in line oiler from the compressor? I saw that in the manual but do not have one, yet.

I'm sold on synthetic oil. I used what came with the compressor for the first hour of operation then it needs changed. I will add syn at that point.

I keep oil in a zoom spout can handy and manually oil air tools 2-3 times an hour for heavy use. in-line oilers are nice but if you ever plan on shooting paint out of spray gun you will never get the oil out of the line and you will get constant fish eye in the paint.(very frustrating:hammer:) a in-line water separator is nice to have so you can keep the water out of the tool and spray gun.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
So you just put a drop or two in the air inlet? Good info. Thanks!

muleman

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I do the same thing when I use my air tools. I also bring them in and warm them up in cold weather before oiling and using them.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
I suckered for the extended replacement warranty on the nailer. I normally don't do that but it seemed like cheap insurance.
Good move Doc, I've never bought anything from HF that lasted more than a couple of uses.

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
Yes they need oiled, a lot of air tools do. If you don't have an oiler just a few drops in the coupler before you use may be enough.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Framing nailer is going fine. Compressor died today. 90 day warranty. I'm within a couple weeks of the 90 days. Live and learn. I turned down the extended warranty on the compressor. Wish me luck returning this paperweight. ;)

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Framing nailer is going fine. Compressor died today. 90 day warranty. I'm within a couple weeks of the 90 days. Live and learn. I turned down the extended warranty on the compressor. Wish me luck returning this paperweight. ;)
How the f*ck can a compressor die within 90 days? And I sure you weren't using it everyday either. I've never had much luck with Harbor Freight with regard to longevity. Good Luck Doc.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I've bought tarps, rope and small hand tools there. This is the first of this type of purchase. I'm afraid all I can get is a store credit, no cash back after 30 days. Not sure of that though.

You are right squerly. Sure was not used every day. I did do the break in and changed the oil after the first hour of use. I might have 10 to 15 hours on it I'd guess. I'm just finishing up the bathroom project (plumbing vanity, install toilet and lights to install but no compressor work) so if it had worked today there is a good chance I would not have fired it up until after the 90 day warranty had come and gone.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
I've had good luck w/ HF air tools, but I've found anything HF sells that runs on AC power generally has a short life span. However I've read posts by pro weldors who use 4" HF grinders for yrs. I think the windings in a lot of their AC stuff aren't heavy enough to contain the smoke,LOL!!
Mike