• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Floor Jack Rebuild Advice

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a cheap 3-Ton Floor Jack that has sprung a leak.

I'm going to take it apart and try and fix it. I'm assuming it is just some seals.

Does anyone know what sort of oil they use? I've got tractor hydraulic fluid is that good enough?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

PB

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
I have a cheap 3-Ton Floor Jack that has sprung a leak.

I'm going to take it apart and try and fix it. I'm assuming it is just some seals.

Does anyone know what sort of oil they use? I've got tractor hydraulic fluid is that good enough?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks,

PB

That should work fine .

I wish you luck . I gave up and went and got another one

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
Many years ago my dad use to repair jacks as a side job. After he bought the insurance he figured he needed he quit. Anyway some of them can be a bear to take apart. I remember helping him. Before you take it apart make sure you can get a repair kit that will have all of the seals and balls. Do a Google of Hydraulic Jack Repair Kits.

murph

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
A rebuild will cost more in time and aggravation that just buying a new one.

If the seals are leaking, it has become extremely untrustworthy. Get a new one, a better one.

(One man's opinion.)

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
A new one is only ~$99. I abused the crap out of this one dragging it around on gravel driveways and other general use for over 10 years.

I'll take it apart and see what I can see just for fun.

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
Yeah, you can buy a cheap one for less than a $100.00 bill. If you can find the seals, the time to track them down and then pull the unit apart to repair, you would be farther ahead with a new Chinese version everyone sells now,which work OK anyway, just make sure to use jack stands.....

As far as the oil goes, you can buy the jack oil at most part stores, use the tractor oil you have or ATF. They will all work just fine.

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
They make special hyd. jack oil. I don't know what is different about it - oil is oil... isn't it ???

I've put a new o-ring in the letter-outer before but haven't disassembled the jack part... yet.

Good luck, PB. Let us know how many pieces it is :rolf2:

fogtender

Now a Published Author
Site Supporter
They make special hyd. jack oil. I don't know what is different about it - oil is oil... isn't it ???

I've put a new o-ring in the letter-outer before but haven't disassembled the jack part... yet.

Good luck, PB. Let us know how many pieces it is :rolf2:

Some oils foam, high pressure aditives, some have detergent in them and other oddities. Hydraulic oils generally don't have anything but the oil in them.

k-dog

My dad replaced some O-rings or seals in his old Craftsman jack and he ended up buying some Hydraulic Oil. They said there was a difference in Hydraulic fluid and hydraulic oil. It works good.