• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

What Were You doing on November 22, 1963?

Jim_S

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
November 22, 1963

I was in Mrs Heoldthkes typing class in the ninth grade. The Principal walked into the room and told us.

What were you doing when you heard the news?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was home sick with the flu. I was in the 4th grade.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I was 4 years old and can still remember being in the living room watching my mom fold clothes. She was watching the TV and gasp, then started crying.

NorthernRedneck

GOLD Site Supporter
I was swimming around like a small tadpole when it happened. Didn't come out of the water for another 14 yrs.......:hide:

RNE228

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
I was only 2 months, 2 days old. I know from talking to my parents and grandparents, it was very shocking news(for my grandparents, about as shocking as Pearl Harbor in '41).

OhioTC18

Gone But Not Forgotten
GOLD Site Supporter
I was 7 and in class when it happened. They announced it over the PA.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
If I was alive and in London I would have been watching the very first broadcast of Doctor Who!! :punk:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I was almost 4 years old and can remember bits and pieces of it.
Mom crying, for one thing. I think it's the first time I ever witnessed her crying.

REDDOGTWO

Unemployed Veg. Peddler
SUPER Site Supporter
I was home sick with the flu. I was in the 4th grade.

The same with me, my Aunt Louise was visiting from MN, my mother was ironing clothes. My Dad was out working with the cattle.

Funny how one remembers certain things, with only two channels on the television, there was nothing else on for three days.

D

darroll

I was working in Las Vegas, Nevada. I told the girls in the office and they did not believe me at first.

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten
I was 7 years old. Can't remember where I was but I do remember the funeral all to well. The hearse being a horse drawn. I remember the train coming through, scared the crap out of most and if I remember right killed one person. I remember the casket being guarded.

murph

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I was likely filling my diaper. I do have a first birthday picture of me somewhere where you can see his funeral on the black & white TV in the background. He was buried on my 1st birthday.

johnday

The Crazy Scot, #3
SUPER Site Supporter
I was in 8th grade Civics class. My teacher, Mr. Worden had us recite the "Lords Prayer", and a moment of silence. Think that will ever happen again?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I remember the train coming through, scared the crap out of most and if I remember right killed one person.

murph

I don't remember anything about the train coming through. Was the train carrying his casket? :confused:

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
I don't remember anything about the train coming through. Was the train carrying his casket? :confused:
Bobby Kennedy's body was taken by funeral train.
I think Murph got a little confused there.:smile:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4vJxi9Kis"]YouTube - RFK - Final Journey[/ame]

thcri

Gone But Not Forgotten

Bobby Kennedy's body was taken by funeral train.
I think Murph got a little confused there.:smile:

YouTube - RFK - Final Journey

I remember Roberts Train. But I was thinking John's horse drawn hearse was close to a railroad track and people were out on the tracks watching when a train came through and a spectator was hit. Might have been Robert's funeral where someone was hit on the train. John's casket was not on a train.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
No while Johns was being transferred the horse drawn hearse was close to a railroad track and people were out on the tracks watching when a train came through. John's casket was not on a train.
ahhh.. didn't know that!
Thanks Murph for that bit o history..

D

darroll

The whole country went on high alert.
The sound of any passing train would of made any crowd a bit nervous.
We were working in the nut house in Vegas. (I wasn’t a patient, lucky them).
They immediately went to lock down. One of our people got locked up with a bunch
Of the patients as his key did not work anymore. He kept calling us and was whispering as he did not want the patients to know. Since we could not hear him, we hung up on him several times.
We found him a few hours later and he was ticked, but ok.
In the mean time the whole west lost telephone service as all the circuits were overloaded. We then had to go to emergency procedures. The police/government and fire were given our high priorities. The panic caused by the overloading of our equipment was blowing fuses in our offices everywhere. Another 23 hour day. They did bring in food and cots for the employees. We had separate bedrooms.

ghautz

Bronze Member
Site Supporter
Sounds like I'm about the oldest geezer here. I was on board a Navy minesweeper, holding our weekly field day (cleanup, to you landlubbers).

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
When Mom talks about the Kennedy assassination(to this day)- she talks about "As The World Turns" being interrupted by Walter Cronkite while she was frying chicken and at the same time attempting to get my brother to allow her to pull his tooth.
Seems like everyone remembers exactly what they were doing that day.

D

darroll

We also kept loosing the news out of New York. The repeater site I was at sent the news to the west coast. People were at a near panic state. None of us knew what was going on. Some thought that an attack on the US was next, or going on. Our monitors had no sound. That came from another source that we did not have. This also added to the confusion.

D

darroll

I hope I’m not boring you younger people. (Nadine & Others).
A couple of days after the assassination and things were returning from chaos.
It cost my company 100,000 per minute for lost Video that ABC,NBC and CBS billed us for.
Our secretary was doing our time cards. The special circuits supervisor told her he had worked twenty five hours the first day. And she said no, I paid you for 24 hours and one hour overtime on the next day. He insisted that he be paid for 25 hours. She said I can’t do that, as there is only 24 hours in a day. The poor guy went ballistic and they carted him off. We never saw him again. We heard he had a nervous breakdown and was unable to work anymore. This sad situation affected one heck of a lot of people.
This lost communication will not happen again in an emergency, the telephone companies knew what went wrong and fixed it.
What did I do in Oct. 1963.... Havn't got a clue.