• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Why do radio stations.....

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
play the same freak'in songs over and over day after day???? There are thousands of songs. They play the same one or two songs from artists that have all kinds of hits. I'm talking about classic rock----not top ten. Is true that they have to pay for every song they play??

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
that's the way the top ten stations work back in the day when I did snow removal, if you listened to 3 hours of programing, you had listened to a weeks worth of music they just played the same top 10 crap over . I suppose it makes the program directors job real easy or a an additional duty. now I'm in the bush and stations are owned by the church I listen to an mp3 stick it takes a week to repeat

rlk

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to hi-jack your thread, but along the same line, why do announcers talk so much?

I listen to Willie's Place on Satellite radio, and sometimes the announcers just run off at the mouth forever it seems like. Hell I listen to hear country music and have no interest in listing to some announcer that I have never heard of, talk on and on and on and.....

Bob

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
the only radio stations that annoy me who do that are the modern country ones.
I've a friend who insists on tuning it to this particular one whenever we go anyplace of a distance.
Even in my car, she wants that station on.
So now, I have all of those country songs memorized and even find myself humming some later. :hammer::hammer::yum:
Yes, they play like the same 8 or 10 songs over and over again.
grrr!

zekeusa

Bronze Member
SUPER Site Supporter
And why do they have to announce the station ID every 30 seconds??? I know what station I'm listening to.

Leni

That applies to all radio broadcasting including ham radio. The FCC requires it every 10 minutes.

grizzer

Radio song lists are downloaded and played on a fixed schedule. Fees get accumulated by the RIAA and distributed back to the artists.

Dunno how they settled the small automated stations for emergency weather broadcast requirements.

jwstewar

What I find annoying is that there are no more local DJs. Everything is owned by iHeart (formerly Clear Channel). They then have a central DJ from who knows where "broadcasting" to each of the individual stations. Wouldn't be terrible except for like here, we really only have 2 country stations to choose from. One in Chillicothe, one in Columbus - both iHeart. both play the same music with the same DJ. If you like a song, when it goes off change to the other station, it will probably be playing there. Down side, when you don't like a song, change the station and it'll be there too. And lets not forget, that we time the commercials so that all the stations are at commercial at the same time so if you are listening to the radio, you have to listen to a commercial or turn the radio off.

squerly

Supported Ben Carson
GOLD Site Supporter
Not to hi-jack your thread, but along the same line, why do announcers talk so much?

I listen to Willie's Place on Satellite radio, and sometimes the announcers just run off at the mouth forever it seems like. Hell I listen to hear country music and have no interest in listing to some announcer that I have never heard of, talk on and on and on and.....

Bob
Back when satellite radio got started there wasn't any of that nonsense, just music. Sirius is still that way on Direct TV but in the car it's a completely different show. Not sure why Sirius is different on TV than in my car but it is. Now it's value has become greatly diminished, in my opinion anyway. Dropped it in 3 of my cars an use my ipod instead.