• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Spark Plug types used in Cats?

Polar

We were out riding our snowmachines yesterday in several inches of powder and had one machine die due to fouled plugs. Unfortunately I had the wrong spares ones in my pack (from last summer's dirt biking rides). But some 'angels' happened along and saved the day. They were on some pretty souped-up machines and had some spare iridium plugs, the $8 buck each variety. Well my machine ran like a chipmonk of crack the rest of the day. So now I'm wondering what the benefits might be in my sno-cats? I found a very interesting website on plugs in my research this morning. Forums' members may want to check out www.spark-plugs.co.uk They have some great photos in their tech section on spark tips wear and diagnosis.

Main benefit of iridium are spark ignition improved (5,000 less volts needed), better fuel economy, more power and quicker acceleration and throttle response. Plugs can last up to 120,000 miles in cars and quick reving racing machines up to 20,000. What does everyone think about putting these in their Cats? I drive at 10,000+ feet elevation and any extra power may be worth it.

Snowcat Operations

SUPER Site Supporter
I have gone that route once before. I find that a good quality plug NGK ect work as good as anything out there at 1/8th the cost (as long as it is a high quality plug to begin with). Since your plug (in my opinion) was pretty goobered up for awhile (before it fouled completely) it was slowly giving you less performance. Not really noticable until she finally died. Then you get a brand new plug and man what a diffrence that will make. If you want to check to see what a diffrence there really is try this. Go buy 4 sets of diffrent plugs. Get a set of iridium plugs and some other High Performance plugs and one set of Standard factory plugs (what came on it from the factory). Now make sure they are all gaped correctly and then have a buddy install one set. You do not get to know which set he puts in. Ride a set course and write down your thoughts. Then have him change to another set. Ride again and compare. Do this until all the plugs have been used. Make sure he knows or has written down which set was in during each ride. If you can tell a diffrence then use those plugs. Most likely you wont but you never know. Also each vehicle will have its own preference but I do not belive it will be really noticable. Thats just my opinion though. Another thing is what makes you feel better? If Iridium plugs make you feel more secure that your machine will run better then go for it. That feeling is worth alot in my book.