• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

CUB CADET: Kioti/Mitsu OUT ~ Yanmar IN

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well it looks like Yanmar is making a good choice to retain some market share. Most people probably are aware that Yanmar has been making the CUT line of tractors as a contract supplier for John Deere for the past few decades. But Deere and Yanmar have been slowly parting company, with more and more Deere models being made domestically using fewer Yanmar parts. Yanmar still makes the value "90" series for Deere. Yanmar has also been working on beefing up its import line for the US market and began to bring in its agricultural crawler tractors for vinyard use recently.

Cub Cadet has been suffering in reputation since being purchased by MTD. Yanmar could return needed prestige and quality to the line up. Currently the CUTs are made by Mitsubishi (7000 series) and Kioti (8000 series). 7000 series Cub/Mitsus seem to have had some QC issues, and the 8000 series Cub/Kiotis are dated products of old design.
agweb_logo.gif

2/9/2007 11:09:19 AM
Cub Cadet® and Yanmar® Join Forces
by Bob Coffman

An AgWeb.com Farm Equipment Special Cub Cadet® and Japanese engine maker Yanmar® have formed a joint venture to market a full line of compact utility tractors and implements in the U.S. and Canada. The joint venture has lead to the formation of C.U.T. Supply Company, LLC, headquartered in Valley City, Ohio.

Cub Cadet is a familiar name with its line of premium outdoor power equipment. Since 1961, Cub Cadet has been meeting the needs of rural and suburban landowners, while keeping one simple promise -- to build it better.

Yanmar Co., Ltd., with global headquarters in Osaka, Japan, was established in 1912, and became the world's first manufacturer to develop a practical small diesel engine in 1933, and has had its own line of compact utility tractors and agricultural equipment.

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Hopefully it's not too little too late. I'm like the many thousands of previous Cub owners who now wouldn't own anything in their entire line up. The old Yanmar made JD tractors I had in years past were some of the most durable and reliable tractors I've ever operated.

I did laugh out loud at Cub Cadet's claim of keeping the "one simple promise -- to build it better." :yum: :yum: :yum: :yum: Now, that is a funny one!! I'm not aware of one single person who has owned a Cub who would even remotely believe that statement. They will have to change that claim if anyone is going to take them seriously.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Bob, did you post that on TBN in the Kioti forum. :yum: :yum:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
I suspect Cub's problems are with its dealer and support network. I think the tractors they have been selling are OK but there is something wrong in the corporate background.

It may include problems with their assembly operations too but in general I suspect Yanmar may have problems under the Cub brand too.

PB

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
It may include problems with their assembly operations too but in general I suspect Yanmar may have problems under the Cub brand too.

PB
PB, not sure if you are right about that? My Kubota dealer is also a Cub dealer. They are happy to sell the Cub LTs, GTs, ZTRs, and utility vehicles. But if you want a 7000 or 8000 series tractor they do everything in their power to talk you out of buying it. They say that the warrenty issues on the larger Cub badged tractors are simply MUCH higher than on similar sized Kubotas. Dealers, from what I can tell, don't make money on warrenty work. Consequently they push consumers to more reliable tractors. Consumers are happier and dealers have less grief, fewer complaints, and less of the non-profitable warranty work.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Ok .... The Kioiti DK series is the best money buy out there ....:yum: :5boobs: :moon:

You never realized you had one of them Kioti loyal nuts on this forum , did you!!!:boobies: :fart2:

I'll stand back now as you get ready to yell and scream at me ...:yum: :yum: :yum:

Actually, I honestly do feel that the DK45 is the best tractor I have ever used in the CUT brands . :argueing:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Allen, we actually have several Kioti owners here!

The problem with the Cub Cadet 8000 series tractors is that they use the old style DK 35 and DK45, not the new style. Cub dropped the DK40 from their lineup about a year ago. You must admit that the new DK is an improved design. Further the old style tractors don't have many convenience features like HST transmission that many newer tractors have.

As for the 7000 series Cubs, those are all Mitsubishi machines and are not known for their reliablity, but they do offer desireable features. The 7000 series are actually a nice modern design, pretty good ergonomics, but unless you get a 'good' one, then you may have a lot of repair issues in your future . . . or so say many folks.

Personally I think Cub/Yanmar is a good joint venture for both companies. Cub dealers will soon be able to sell a line of compact utility tractors that is congruent from bottom to top in style, features and parts. Yanmar will be able to pick up lost market share and with a solid dealer network.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
B_Skurka said:
You must admit that the new DK is an improved design. Further the old style tractors don't have many convenience features like HST transmission that many newer tractors have.

No Way !!! I admit to nothing :5boobs: ! If you did not see me do it ,than I don't know what your talking about.

Actually I like my old design and I hate the HST . I would not own one . But that is just me .

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
You never realized you had one of them Kioti loyal nuts on this forum , did you!!!:boobies: :fart2:

Gees, now you make me feel bad. :smileywac Not because of what I said, but because I'm most certainly not loyal to any tractor (or car/truck/etc.) brand. :wave:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well here is a very similar press release that was on the Lawn & Landscape Magazine website.

One very intersting addition is that this announcement indicates that the joint venture will offer tractors up to 50 horsepower.
Lawn & Landscape Magazine » News »
Cub Cadet, Yanmar Form C.U.T. Supply Co.

2/9/2007
blank.gif
blank.gif
Cub Cadet and Yanmar will enter into a joint venture to market a full line of compact utility tractors and implements in the U.S. and Canada, the companies say. The joint venture has lead to the formation of C.U.T. Supply Co., headquartered in Valley City, Ohio.

“This unique partnership connects two powerful brands with reputations for innovation, reliability and high performance,” says Masashi Shimo, of Yanmar, who has been appointed president of C.U.T. Supply Co. “We feel that these qualities will allow us to deliver smart, user-focused solutions to the growing number of consumers and commercial and government users in need of a compact utility tractor.”

The combined company’s new line of premium compact tractors will offer users products up to 50 HP.

“By combining our expertise, we will help homeowners, municipalities, institutions, farmers and businesses achieve their goals with enhanced productivity and proven reliability,” says Nathan Walker, senior vice president of sales at Cub Cadet. “Our goal is to exceed expectations from purchase and delivery, to operation and service.”

Here is the official PRESS RELEASE:
Cub Cadet(R) and Yanmar(R) Announce Joint Venture

Partnership to Deliver Best-In-Class Compact Utility Tractors in the U.S.
and Canada

VALLEY CITY, Ohio, Feb. 8 /PRNewswire/ -- Cub Cadet(R) and Yanmar(R)
announced today a joint venture to market a full line of compact utility
tractors and implements in the U.S. and Canada. The joint venture has lead
to the formation of C.U.T. Supply Company, LLC, headquartered in Valley
City, Ohio.

"This unique partnership connects two powerful brands with reputations
for innovation, reliability and high performance," said Masashi Shimo, of
Yanmar, who has been appointed President of C.U.T. Supply Company LLC. "We
feel that these qualities will allow us to deliver smart, user-focused
solutions to the growing number of consumers and commercial and government
users in need of a compact utility tractor."

A pioneer of compact, powerful diesel engines since 1933, and a maker
of compact utility tractors and agricultural equipment, Yanmar's products
are recognized as innovative, reliable leaders worldwide. Cub Cadet, the
leader in premium outdoor power equipment, has a legacy of high-quality
engineering and producing equipment that meets the lifestyle needs of
today's large property owner. Together, the company's new line of premium
compact tractors will offer users well-designed high performance products
up to 50 HP.

"By combining our expertise, we will help homeowners, municipalities,
institutions, farmers and businesses achieve their goals with enhanced
productivity and proven reliability," said Nathan Walker, Senior Vice
President of Sales at Cub Cadet. "Our goal is to exceed expectations from
purchase and delivery, to operation and service."​

MadReferee

Cub Cadet.

Sounds like something a 6 year old would play with in the sandbox.

It's all in the name people, it's all in the name.

Big Dog

Large Member
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
BigAl said:
Ok .... The Kioiti DK series is the best money buy out there ....:yum: :5boobs: :moon:

I'll stand back now as you get ready to yell and scream at me ...:yum: :yum: :yum:

Actually, I honestly do feel that the DK45 is the best tractor I have ever used in the CUT brands . :argueing:
Allen,

Your not alone buddy, you have support on this one! ............... Mine has performed admirably!

Cowboyjg got one too!

First one's mine, second one's Cowboyjg's

Attachments

• 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 102-0288_IMG.jpg
    102-0288_IMG.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 94

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
Now, I don't have one of them thar heavy Kayotis, but my puny lil' tractor weighs in at about 12,000 in it's snow plow setup. Apparently that's enough weight and traction (with all 4 wheels locked in) to snap two Cat. 2 lift pins right off my 8' HD rear blade when I was clearing someone's driveway today.

I had to unhook the toplink (which then completely disconnected my RB), and then pick up my lil' 1000 pound or so rear blade in the FEL and head home with my tail atween mah legs. Fortunately I had a couple of the Cat. 2 lift pins in my tractor tool box so I'll be ready to plow more later.

working woman

Site Supporter
Apparently that's enough weight and traction (with all 4 wheels locked in) to snap two Cat. 2 lift pins right off my 8' HD rear blade when I was clearing someone's driveway today.

:hide:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
Now, I don't have one of them thar heavy Kayotis, but my puny lil' tractor weighs in at about 12,000 in it's snow plow setup. Apparently that's enough weight and traction (with all 4 wheels locked in) to snap two Cat. 2 lift pins right off my 8' HD rear blade when I was clearing someone's driveway today.

I had to unhook the toplink (which then completely disconnected my RB), and then pick up my lil' 1000 pound or so rear blade in the FEL and head home with my tail atween mah legs. Fortunately I had a couple of the Cat. 2 lift pins in my tractor tool box so I'll be ready to plow more later.

Crap - what did you hit? :4_11_9:

WW - watch out for this Dargo guy - he likes to pound finish nails with a sledgehammer! :yum:

Dargo, how's that beast on the ice? Do you need chains for it yet or is it not icy?

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
PBinWA said:
Crap - what did you hit? :4_11_9:

I think someone laid a trap for me. You know, like leaving a stick or something like that in their driveway...:letitsnow:

XeVfTEUtaAqJHTqq

Master of Distraction
Staff member
SUPER Site Supporter
Dargo said:
I think someone laid a trap for me. You know, like leaving a stick or something like that in their driveway...:letitsnow:

I think that bump you were plowing was someone's subcompact! Be careful with that big toy or I'll come over there and take it away from you!:StickOutT

working woman

Site Supporter
Dargo said:

Next time I'll put those orange flags closer to the spot :oops:

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well is a more in-depth look at this joint venture, while it is a "joint" venture, it is interesting that a Japanese man was named as President of the new company. Personally I trust Yanmar a lot more than I think I would trust Cub Cadet/MTD.

I think it is a good sign that Yanmar appears to be the lead firm of this venture.

http://www.cleveland.com/business/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/business/117110254340280.xml&coll=2

Cub Cadet joins with Japanese firm

Joint venture to produce revamped garden tractor

Saturday, February 10, 2007 Frank Bentayou

Plain Dealer Reporter

In Northeast Ohio industry's latest nod toward global manufacturing, the all-American-sounding Cub Cadet brand garden tractor will become the Cub Cadet-Yanmar compact utility tractor starting in August.

That's when a new joint venture, C.U.T. Supply Co., based in Valley City, northwest of Medina, expects to unveil its 2008 diesel-powered compact tractors in outdoor power-equipment showrooms throughout the United States and Canada.

Cub Cadet's partner in the launch is Yanmar Co., a 95-year-old privately held diesel engine and equipment maker based in Osaka, Japan.

Executives in Ohio said Friday that the workhorse vehicle will combine features of American and Japanese technology, design and production. While details aren't certain, they expect assembly to take place at plants in the United States and Japan.

Matt Rechin, vice president of brand management at MTD Products Inc., Cub Cadet's owner, said the new small tractors will compete principally against Kubota, John Deere and Massey Ferguson equipment. He said the new model would feature "some unique styling and creature comforts to make long days sitting in the seat more comfortable and safer."

MTD, whose headquarters is in Valley City, also is the parent company of a range of other brands of outdoor power equipment, including Troy-Bilt, Yard-Man and McCulloch. C.U.T. Supply will share MTD's facilities. Worldwide, MTD has some 6,700 employees, spokeswoman April Clark said. Yanmar has about 2,700 employees, most in Japan.

C.U.T. Supply referred to its planned tractors as "well-designed, high-performance products" with up to 50 horsepower. And Rechin said Yanmar's small diesels operate "with more horsepower and more torque than other engines, so they run more efficiently at lower RPMs."

C.U.T. plans a full array of attachments for the compact tractor, from backhoes to snow blowers, mowers to front-end loaders, said Nathan Walker, MTD's senior VP for sales.

The company has not firmly set prices for the work vehicles, but Walker suggested that models would be available for less than $20,000, more if equipped with various accessories.
"We've still got a lot to work out in terms of pricing and logistics," he said.

Rechin said MTD has discovered "one of the business benefits of having a partner in Asia; we literally do work 24 hours a day." It already distributes many of its products in Europe.
C.U.T. Supply named Yanmar's Masashi Shimo president of the new company.

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:
fbentayou@plaind.com, 216-999-4116

Melensdad

Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Anyone else see the new Cub/Yanmar logo? The tractors will feature this joint logo.

According to my local dealer, who knew only some thing but not all details, there will be a PARTIAL line-up of Yanmar built Cub Cadets sometime this summer. The full line of machines will be available for the 2008 model year. Machines are supposed to be full featured modern machines of new design and not re-makes of the John Deere products. My dealer has not seen any preliminary designs.

He did not know who will build attachements like FELs or backhoes, or who will build implements. They may be in house or contract built.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 24

Dargo

Like a bad penny...
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm glad to see. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for CC machines since my dad had one from the early 70's on. It really hurt me to see CC sell out and throw quality to the wind. I actually don't have any experience with Kioti, but I'll go on record as bluntly saying that Mitsubishi is crap, crap, crap. My Clark forklift has a Mitsu engine in it and I shudder to think about that. I'm sick of f***** with it to get it to run smooth. I was stupid and didn't check the engine make when I bought the lift. I about dropped a brick when I saw Mitsu on the engine. Believe me, I keep clean filters on it and use the highest quality synthetic oil in it and change the oil about every 10 hours or so...

I think if CC advertises right, they can become a big player in the market rather quickly.