• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

BV202

Any one out there with experance with the BV202? I am considering the purchase of a 1965 MKI, anything I should be looking at in detail? What is one of these worth in the US? They are cheap in Norway but shipping cost!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any info.

BigAl

Gone But Not Forgotten
SUPER Site Supporter
Welcome John,

The BV202 was the cat that my wife and I seriously thought about importing from Sweden . It is the forerunner of the BV206 . I do not believe there are many around on the North America continent . I wonder about parts avalibility.

There is a guy on the internet that sells and exports the BV202 from Sweden . I do not have his address but a internet search of BV202 should find him, easily .He is who I dealt with and is a very nice and informative man .

The one I was intersted in, was going to run me $6500 U.S. before shipping and customs .
I believe the one I looked at was a 4 cyl diesel rig .

I do not know if it is true ,but I was told the operator's area was quite small and not made for a big man .

tortoise7

Hi John,

I have a bv-202E mkII, tho I have not yet determined the year of manufacture.

it has the b20 volvo gasoline 4 cylinder that is running well.

parts "seem" to be readily available, except, for 24 volt bosch distributor components.

I find it equal too or slightly better than the aktiv st4 in deep snow.

It carries a much larger payload and it seems that second gear high range is equal to the st4 in fourth in terms of ground speed.

Big Al, the operations compartment is indeed designed for
smaller, thinner, agile type folks.
The rear unit is much more spacious and easier to get in and out of.

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
John - Canada said:
Any one out there with experance with the BV202? I am considering the purchase of a 1965 MKI, anything I should be looking at in detail? What is one of these worth in the US? They are cheap in Norway but shipping cost!!!!!!!!
Thanks for any info.

Gunnar, who is one of our members from Finland, sent me this, it should help you : http://www.offroadmachine.com/snowcat/Bv202E.htm

alaska741

Hi John - Canada
Welcome to the forum:tiphat:
I have a bv206 which is larger than the bv202. the inside drivers compartment
has plenty of room for a large size person (like me ):pat:
The bv206 is equipped with the six cylinder Mercedes Diesel engine. Here in Alaska it is a great vehicle. The terrain here is mostly rolling hills with powder snow. We don't receive much snow like some areas. Here normal snowfall
for the years is about 3 feet. We do have the extreme cold . A couple of weeks ago it was down to -40. The bv206 puts out plenty of heat to stay warm inside.
You asked how much they cost in the U.S. Here in Alaska i have seen them as high as $40,000.00. The more normal price is about $25,000.00.
When purchasing a unit make sure the tracks are in good shape. cost to replace the track is more than you pay for the whole machine. Hope is helps you make your decision.

Ken:wave:

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
tortoise7 said:
I find it equal too or slightly better than the aktiv st4 in deep snow.

Here is a pic at the snow cat shoot out of the deep snow hill climb. Will the Hagglunds 202 climb and go better in the snow than the Hagglunds 206 shown buried at the bottom of the hill? I am sure that my Aktiv would of climbed above the location of the Hagglunds in this pic.:thumb: I did see even an old Spryte and a LMC 1500 go higher up the hill than the Hagglunds.

P1010019.JPG

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I found this in my files, it might be of some help.

Given the high amount of ground pressure this unit imparts it seem reasonable to ask if you intend to use this in powder conditions?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 447

nwerring

If you decide to get a Bv202 you should steer away from the MK1 version with the Volvo B18 engine. It's a bit under powered. The MK2 or NF1 with the B20 Sport engine is MUCH better. You can identify them by the Airscoop on the front bonnet. B18 points to the rear, B20 to the front. To bad about the shipping cost from Norway, because they are quite cheep here. Parts are very easy to come by. I had a 1977 202NF1 before I got my ST4, but sold it because it was to cumbersome to transport on a trailer/truck. It's a great vehicle though, and much more practical if you need to use it in the summer.... Then again, also MUCH more complicated to work on.... The Bv206 has much more comfort, slightly worse in off road use and very much more expensive. Good luck!

Thanks for all the imput. Here in Manitoba we do not get deep powder conditions, the attraction of the BV202 is the ability to use her year round and even take her in the river. My Snow Track can't swim! (I found out when the ice broke) sorry no pictures, the camera was the only casualty. The BV206 is out of the question price wise, they are true work horses and I am looking for a toy. The unit I have been offered is shown on e-bay, item number 220071644313. I have looked into BV202 units in the UK, Norway and Sweeden over the past 4 years. My own conlusions was to look for a MKII or NF1 but I wanted to hear from someone who has used them. The big attraction of this MKI is that she is in the US so shipping cost is reasonable.

Is there anyone in Norway who is willing to locate a good machine at the right price and arrange shipping, for a "finders fee"! Is there any one in Canada or the Northern US who is looking for a machine? We might get two in a 40 ft container and share shipping costs.

kgracey

John,

For the cost of such a machine, it would be worth your time to travel to Norway and take a look yourself. You'd likely find them at many different places. I have some friends in Germany who've been coming to the USA to buy Ford Mustangs over the last couple of years. Although the machine will cost "less" from Norway (would it really), you'll have to deal with an exchange rate out of your favor [or at least not to the USD benefit].

KG

1948berg

BV 202 are known to be better in negoiciating deep snow than the 206. In the Norwegian army they used to have some old 202s to make tracks for the 206. Now they only have 206.The drivers room is narrow, but I manage barely, measuring 6 foot 6 and weighing 282 pounds. I had to remove the back pillow of the seat, and lover it a bit as well.
This seller is situated near where I live
http://www.hofbilopphuggeri.no/belter.htm
A couple of swimming 202 videos:
http://folk.uio.no/kristaga/bilder/bv202-bading.avi
http://folk.uio.no/kristaga/bilder/bv202-bading2.avi

Attachments

• BV 202 1.jpg
    BV 202 1.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 413
  • BV 202 2.jpg
    BV 202 2.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 367
  • BV 202.jpg
    BV 202.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 415

chucks

Hi -- I've a BV202A with B20 engine, new tracks, for sale here in Idaho. I've had it over 15 years (brought it down with me from Fairbanks AK), lots of experience with them -- excellent machine, but I'm not using it and too many toys! Call if you want more info -- Chuck, 208-383-1084