• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Radio chip coming soon to your driver's license?

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
Privacy advocates are issuing warnings about a new radio chip plan that ultimately could provide electronic identification for every adult in the U.S. and allow agents to compile attendance lists at anti-government rallies simply by walking through the assembly.
The proposal, which has earned the support of Janet Napolitano, the newly chosen chief of the Department of Homeland Security, would embed radio chips in driver's licenses, or "enhanced driver's licenses."
"Enhanced driver's licenses give confidence that the person holding the card is the person who is supposed to be holding the card, and it's less elaborate than REAL ID," Napolitano said in a Washington Times report.
REAL ID is a plan for a federal identification system standardized across the nation that so alarmed governors many states have adopted formal plans to oppose it. However, a privacy advocate today told WND that the EDLs are many times worse.
Radio talk show host and identity chip expert Katherine Albrecht said REAL ID earned the opposition of Christians because of its resemblance to the biblical "mark of the beast," civil libertarians opposed it for its "big brother" connotations and others worried about identity theft issues with the proposed databases.
"We got rid of the REAL ID program, but [this one] is way more insidious," she said.
Enhanced driver's licenses have built-in radio chips providing an identifying number or information that can be accessed by a remote reading unit while the license is inside a wallet http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=90008#or purse.
The technology already had been implemented in Washington state, where it is promoted as an alternative to a passport for traveling to Canada. So far, the program is optional.
But there are other agreements already approved with Michigan, Vermont, New York and Arizona, and plans are under way in other states, including Texas, she said.
Story continues:

http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=90008

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
easy enough to kill the chip "accidentally"...
just ask anyone whose "smart card" ID badge didn't work one morning.
I had to make 4 new badges one month for one of our medical consultants because he was killing them about every 7-10 days.

Deadly Sushi

The One, The Only, Sushi
SUPER Site Supporter
easy enough to kill the chip "accidentally"...
just ask anyone whose "smart card" ID badge didn't work one morning.
I had to make 4 new badges one month for one of our medical consultants because he was killing them about every 7-10 days.

Until they ticket you for having a non-working unit. Remember its your responsibility to not damage them and they must be working at all times or you are in violation with the contract of the State.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
Until they ticket you for having a non-working unit. Remember its your responsibility to not damage them and they must be working at all times or you are in violation with the contract of the State.
and how can they prove I did it intentionally?
if I can't test the thing myself, how do I know when it stops working?
electronics die - especially in the presence of magnetic fields, static, and ionizing radiation - do you know which of these I deal with more days than not? :D

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
and how can they prove I did it intentionally?
if I can't test the thing myself, how do I know when it stops working?
electronics die - especially in the presence of magnetic fields, static, and ionizing radiation - do you know which of these I deal with more days than not? :D
RFID chips are very stable, but can be defeated. They have been used for inventory control and warehouse location purposes for several years. Same technology as the 'smart card' chips. It is, if extended to its logical extreme, very scary technology when applied to human tracking. It could easily replace all your 'papers' to prove(?) your identity. They are passive so they don't emit anything, but they do react. Essentially a signal can bounce off of them and carry the data in the chip.

For people in a crowd, and the scenario of the police officer walking through getting your ID as he passes you so you can be added to a terror watch list the answer to defeat that is very simple . . . leave your drivers license in your car, or at home, or anywhere but on you if you are worried about such things.

Still, this is something that I see coming down the road at us, and something that is not good for civil liberties.

ddrane2115

Charter Member
SUPER Site Supporter
glad I had to renew mine this year...........for 5 years at that. will they make us get new ones again

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
glad I had to renew mine this year...........for 5 years at that. will they make us get new ones again
The REAL danger comes from the FEDERAL government. Currently we have state laws that are based on $$$$ coming from the federal coffers. Seat belt laws in our state are based on the fact that we lose Highway Funding if we don't comply. At some point the FEDS may say that if each state does not comply with the "minimum standard" for data storage on a drivers license then some federal highway dollars will be cut. The FEDS, as is typical, will set the 'data storage' standard so high that it cannot be stored on a 'bar code' or magnetic strip on the back of your license. The magnetic strips and/or bar code data is only capable of storing a modest amount of data and needs to be physically scanned/swiped. It essentially can verify the information on the front of the card, and perhaps a bit more, but not a lot more. The chip technology can hold your criminal record, your driving record, your medical records, etc.

Erik

SelfBane
Site Supporter
actually, the newer "2-D" bar codes can carry quite a lot of info, including a copy of your photo - but nothing like what they can put on a 128 mB smart chip, which can carry your entire legal history - or at least the codes to give them access to a federal database that carries it.