• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Remember the 'shoe' incident in Iraq?

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Folks in Iraq built a monument to the guy who threw his shoe at Bush. :eek:

TheHuffingtonPost said:
The two-meter (six-foot) high statue, unveiled on Thursday in former dictator Saddam Hussein's home town of Tikrit, depicts a bronze-colored shoe, filled with a plastic shrub. "Muntazer: fasting until the sword breaks its fast with blood; silent until our mouths speak the truth," reads an inscription, in honor of journalist Muntazer al-Zaidi, who hurled his shoes at Bush and called him a "dog" at a news conference during the former president's final visit to Iraq.

Zaidi has been held in jail in Baghdad since the incident, facing charges of assaulting a visiting head of state.

However, shortly after it was unveiled, the central government requested its removal. CNN explains:

After the request was made, Iraqi police visited the location to make sure that the shoe monument was removed.

"We will not allow anyone to use the government facilities and buildings for political motives," said Abdullah Jabara, Salaheddin deputy governor.

The Earth Times discusses the significance of the structure's removal:

Al-Zaidi, who is in custody awaiting trial, is regarded by many Iraqis as a hero and demonstrators last month took to the streets across the Arab world calling for his release.

Although some people said that the shoe was removed because of the charges pending against al-Zaidi, others question the importance of erecting such a monument inside a children's facility.

from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/30/bush-shoe-thrower-monumen_n_162645.html

The Tourist

Banned
"We will not allow anyone to use the government facilities and buildings for political motives"

Ya' know, I hate to say this, but I agree. I'm tired of pork projects and public statements made under the guise that it's American.

Well, I'm an American. Part of a group JFK branded, "A new generation of leaders, born in this century." And in that spirit, the public statements on our conduct should reflect at least some of my beliefs. And they don't. There's only one thing to do, and that's to correct this wrong.

We must shut down exhibits, public forms of that expression, and facilities which do not reflect that sentiment.

We must close down The Statue of Liberty.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
I wonder, if a US group put up monument in support of a rebel here in the US, would the same thing happen? I suspect so.

The Tourist

Banned
I wonder, if a US group put up monument in support of a rebel here in the US, would the same thing happen? I suspect so.

It's already happened, it's the Confederate Battle Flag.

As many of you know, I'm a strident, unabashed supporter of The Struggle for Southern Freedom.

We revere momentos of our grandfathers who fought in WWII, we even make light of the antics of Pappy Boyington.

But we seem to gloss over the fact that many loyal and courageous figures in history died for "the stars and bars." Shouldn't they be honored as well?

The old Orwellian idea of "those who control the past will control the future" is clearly becoming the way we handle ideas we don't like. Despite the fact that JFK did nothing in office except create the Peace Corps, we assign him the honor of "Camelot." It was LBJ that pushed those ideals into law.

Would we still even have the concept of 'states rights' had not so many brave southerners sacrificed their lives?

D

darroll

They are trying to be a free nation. He is mad at Bush for something and that is their way of showing anger. Can you imagine throwing a shoe at Sad am or his sons?
I would run out of shoes if I went to Washington, DC.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter

There's a huge statue of Robert E. Lee at the Gettysburg battlefield, does that count?

Go to any civil war battlefield\national park and there are bunches of monuments to southern generals.

The Tourist

Banned
There's a huge statue of Robert E. Lee at the Gettysburg battlefield, does that count?

I have not been to that site, but I am happy to hear that this tribute has been done.

In fact, now that you mention it, the monument of Crazy Horse in South Dakota would also be an example.

When approached for the project, a chief made the comment that he wished people to know that Indians had heroes, too.

But I must also admit that as an older man I'm getting a bit more careful with other peoples' histories. Perhaps it's from my Father taking me to museums when I was a young boy.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
I have not been to that site, but I am happy to hear that this tribute has been done.

In fact, now that you mention it, the monument of Crazy Horse in South Dakota would also be an example.

When approached for the project, a chief made the comment that he wished people to know that Indians had heroes, too.

But I must also admit that as an older man I'm getting a bit more careful with other peoples' histories. Perhaps it's from my Father taking me to museums when I was a young boy.

The ironic thing about the Lee statue is that they put it close to the tree line where Picket's charge was launched. I wonder if there are simlar monuments to him where he had overwhelming victories (versus defeats), such as Manassas or Chancellorsville.Maybe there's no underlying message to the monument's location, but when you consider that Arlington cemetary is located on what used to be Lee's farm, it kinda makes ya wonder ......

Locutus

Banned
If it's socially acceptable to fly the flag of a former enemy like Mexico over your home/business because your forebears came from Mexico, then why is it "Racist" to fly a Confererate Battle Flag if your forefathers fought for the Condereracy? :confused:

Could there be a bit of hypocrisy here? :sad:

D

darroll

If it's socially acceptable to fly the flag of a former enemy like Mexico over your home/business because your forebears came from Mexico, then why is it "Racist" to fly a Confererate Battle Flag if your forefathers fought for the Condereracy? :confused:

Could there be a bit of hypocrisy here? :sad:

YUP

The Tourist

Banned
to fly the flag of a former enemy

I'm okay with that, but you guys do know that the flag at a pizzeria is just for decoration, don't you? I mean, we're not facists or opening an Italian Embassey. It's just for decor and a splash of color.

Locutus

Banned
I'm okay with that, but you guys do know that the flag at a pizzeria is just for decoration, don't you? I mean, we're not facists or opening an Italian Embassey. It's just for decor and a splash of color.

I thought it was to let the public know the ingredients were imported! :yum::yum::yum:

Av8r3400

Gone Flyin'
If it's socially acceptable to fly the flag of a former enemy like Mexico over your home/business because your forebears came from Mexico, then why is it "Racist" to fly a Confererate Battle Flag if your forefathers fought for the Condereracy?

The confederacy was made up of White Christian Males. Therefore by definition, it was evil and racist.

The Mexican government is made of native heroes that have never done anything corrupt or illegal. :hammer: