• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

1948 R12 Bombardier Snocat Snowmobile On Ebay

mtntopper

Back On Track
SUPER Site Supporter
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]1948 R12 Bombardier Snocat Snowmobile w/251 ci Flathead [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vehicle Description [/FONT]
I am selling this Snocat for my father. This is a 1948 R12 made by Bombardier (12 passenger) powered by a Chrysler Spitfire 251 c.i. Flathead inline 6, 115 h.p. with a 3 speed on the column. (The pull down menu under model year didn't go beyond 1950 and it was a required field.)

He purchased this machine in 1951. Most of its life was spent in Bay Port, Michigan taking ice fisherman out to fish. He sold this around 1970 to a guy up in Black Lake, Michigan, and bought it back from him in 2000. Before my father sold it, the motor was completely gone through. When he bought it back in 2000, it was quite rusty and had been sitting in the woods for many years.

The first thing we did was check out the motor. We took off the cylinder head - the rings were then unfrozen with penetrating oil. The top half of the motor was cleaned up and put back together. The motor has good compression and good oil pressure.The motor runs strong but could use a new carburetor. The rear main seal leaks a little oil and so does the rear end.

My father put all new sheet metal on most of this Snocat. New doors, new glass, and a new radiator was put in. Also a new hydraulic power lift hatch back (to access engine) and new bench seats and carpeting. New paint was put on the Snocat. Not a high quality paint job - some was brushed but most was sprayed. The whole interior was sprayed with a spray on insulation 1 inch thick. Luann like paneling was put over the insulation and then sealed off with polyurethane.

Once the engine warms up, the fan from the radiator blows warm air under the floor boards to the front of the cab so everyone is comfortably warm. There is also hot water heat that makes the defroster work.

The tracks are in very good condition. Two new ribbed tires were put up front and two newer ones in the rear. Some of the other tires are slightly weather checked but all have tubes. Skis that go with it were extended out and the last owner didn't do a very good job welding it up.

The amp, oil and water temperature guages all work. The last owner broke the speedometer and was taken out. It needs a new speedometer and a 12' long cable.

My father has an operators manual and spare parts including the original seat, two extra tires and other miscellaneous items that will go with the sale of the Bombardier.

I have 100% positive feedback and want to describe this unique machine as best and as accurately as possible. So before you bid, please email me, ask questions or even contact my father directly at 989-777-2933 (Stoney is his name). However, I feel I am better resource for information since his age (79 years old) is effecting his memory. Which why he wants to sell it since he can't enjoy it anymore. If at all possible, I encourage you to come out look and look at this awesome Snocat.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1948-R12-Bombardier-Snocat-Snowmobile-w-251-ci-Flathead_W0QQitemZ170074896160QQihZ007QQcategoryZ6736QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

107a_12.jpg

190e_12.jpg

Attachments

• 19e5_12.JPG
    19e5_12.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 773