• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

We Want Beards!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Women can have pony tails. We want our beards. :yum:

Screen Shot 2018-07-20 at 5.14.47 PM.png

pixie

SUPER Site Supporter
I imagine that one of the reasons beards were cut off is the requirement of using face masks for protection against dust, gas etc..
But now, respiratory protection is made that will work with facial hair. ( though the product may be more expensive than the ordinary respirator. )

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
In 1970 or so Admiral Zumwalt allowed facial hair on sailors. Beards, mustaches and goatees were all allowed. I wonder when that changed.

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
In 1970 or so Admiral Zumwalt allowed facial hair on sailors. Beards, mustaches and goatees were all allowed. I wonder when that changed.

It changed in the Coast Guard when Admiral Yost became Commandant. He had said for years that if he ever was selected for that position his first official act would be to outlaw beards ... and it was. His official statement was that beards were "unprofessional" and a "hygiene problem".

It had nothing whatsoever to do with the fact that as a young officer he entered a beard-growing contest and at the end of the growing period he had less facial hair than Ma Joad ... and hers looked more masculine! :yum::yum:

(And it really did!!)

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
I'm changing the subject just a bit, but maybe I am allowed as I am the OP? :yum: I'll let Jim be the judge of that. LOL.

I was never so bummed as when I arrived in boot camp first day and discovered that the Navy no longer issued the so called Donald Duck hats shown in the OP. 4 years earlier.

Nothing looked better then wearing a well made custom set of gaberdine dress blues with the Donald Duck hat. Steve McQueen stuff right there. :yum::thumbup:

Danang Sailor

nullius in verba
GOLD Site Supporter
I'm changing the subject just a bit, but maybe I am allowed as I am the OP? :yum: I'll let Jim be the judge of that. LOL.

I was never so bummed as when I arrived in boot camp first day and discovered that the Navy no longer issued the so called Donald Duck hats shown in the OP. 4 years earlier.

Nothing looked better then wearing a well made custom set of gaberdine dress blues with the Donald Duck hat. Steve McQueen stuff right there. :yum::thumbup:
You just joined the wrong service! :hide: The Coast Guard still had the Cracker Jack's until the "Bender Blues" - so-named for their biggest proponent, Admiral Chester Bender - replaced them in the mid 70's. And the old ones came with the flat hats for dress; undress and work uniforms (good old dungarees), were paired with the "dixie cups"!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
You just joined the wrong service! :hide: The Coast Guard still had the Cracker Jack's until the "Bender Blues" - so-named for their biggest proponent, Admiral Chester Bender - replaced them in the mid 70's. And the old ones came with the flat hats for dress; undress and work uniforms (good old dungarees), were paired with the "dixie cups"!

Yep, I knew that. Not the specific dates and all that, but while in I ran into a few CG guys wearing those caps and I was jealous as hell I can tell you that.

Somewhere there is an old picture of me in my dress blues wearing my uncle's Donald Duck cap while home on leave. Damn I looked good. :yum:

Wrong service? :yum: I joined the USN to be a CE in the SeaBee's but they would not billet me into that so I became a EM instead. Oh well, that was life.