• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

An Answer to Prayer!!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Two years ago my wife broke a bone in her left foot hiking. After it healed her foot still pained with some discomfort. Over time the pain got steadily worse not better. X-Rays, negative. Scans, negative. PT, no help, multiple foot doctor visits and orthodics. No help.

Last December, she is diagnosed with severe gout and the gout settled in her foot. It remained undiagnosed for over a year and a half and was diagnosed being stage 4 Uric Acid level at 11.9. Severe and a very good chance that it went undiagnosed so long there may not be a full recovery.

Well, today, she got the results of the blood test and I am happy to report Uric Acid levels are at 4.7 and a full recovery is in order so it sounds like we will be back hiking together this summer once the trails are opened up after mud season.

Moral of the story. Prayer works ladies & gents. :clap:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Moral of the story. Prayer works ladies & gents. :clap:

Yes it does but medication also helps ... a lot. I'm glad that she got it sorted out because it is a really painful condition. I don't know why doctors don't test for it more often. I hope that she has a pain free future.

Our oldest son has had gout since his early 20s. He gets it in his feet, elbows and wrists. It took years before it was correctly diagnosed and treated.

I didn't have a problem with it until my mid to late 60s. I get it usually in my big toes. I didn't know what it was. All I knew was that it hurt like hell, to the point where I couldn't walk properly and that in itself led to other problems. After a doctor visit, it was gone in a couple of weeks and I was back to normal, or at least as near to normal that I can get. :wink:

I know what causes it but I don't know what triggers it. I have a flare up every year or two but at least I know what to do now so it doesn't last too long.

pirate_girl

legendary ⚓
GOLD Site Supporter
A friend gets gout bad if he drinks too much beer.
Mike

..and it's said that red meat is also a culprite.
I was diagnosed with it once and took Allopurinol. It didn't sit well with me so started eating cherries and drinking cherry juice.
Don't know if that's what "cured" it or not.
Once in a while I get that same ankle and toe pain ..if it gets unbearable I take 3 Aleve followed up by another one 3 hours later.
Does the trick!

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
..and it's said that red meat is also a culprite.
I was diagnosed with it once and took Allopurinol. It didn't sit well with me so started eating cherries and drinking cherry juice.
Don't know if that's what "cured" it or not.
Once in a while I get that same ankle and toe pain ..if it gets unbearable I take 3 Aleve followed up by another one 3 hours later.
Does the trick!

My wife is currently on Allopurinol and Colchicine. We will find out in a few weeks if they still want her to take them, but, like you, she is in the medical field and she feels the meds will be curtailed.

If we need more Colchicine, we need to buy it in Canada, as it is so expensive here in the states. Something like 7 times more. :hammer:

She has cut out 90% of red meat in her diet. It was a real culprit for her. Chicken and pork seems to be much better.