• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

I'm planning on retiring. What to to afterwards?

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Yea, being on-call every other week was getting old really fast.

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
If you are looking for something to do I have a lot of stuff that could use waxing!
Funny you should mention that. It was the first thing on my list. Did 2 of the cars already. Need to do some other things (like plant the garden and do some lawn work) before I do the others.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
BC, the nice thing about retirement is you can stay as busy as you want and take a break anytime you want, but stay busy!! I've had friends and acquaintances retire, sit on their ass and it's killed most of them off.
Mike

Melensdad

Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt & SNOWCAT Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
FWIW I'm exploring (learning) about buying real estate property tax liens.

Average returns run about 18% annually.

Seems to be a good way to generate income.

There seems to be 2 possible outcomes.
1) get back your investment + interest (97% of the time) or
2) get the property free and clear (3% of the time) which you can then dispose of at a wholesale price to dump quickly, retail at a high price if you don't mind sitting on it for a bit, or rent it out and become a landlord​
Interest is determined by the states. Each state has its own rate. There are a couple different types that need to be considered and most states allow the property owner 1 year to pay off the delinquent taxes. But it seems to average about 18%/year return if you can key in on the states that are best for your investment style.

Oh, and since you can earn a decent income from this type of investment you can be a volunteer fencing coach at your local high school since you will have all sorts of spare time. I recommend Saber coaching. Saber allows you to whack away at teenagers with a steel rod. Very satisfying. Very satisfying. But I repeat myself.

rugerman

When you retire you are supposed to sit back and relax, do what you want to , punch the honey do list, take naps in the afternoon, go fishing, go shooting, go hunting, drink a few beers if you want to. You sound like you are just changing jobs. If you enjoyed your old job and you made a good living from it I would continue instead of starting over and learning a new job that you might hate. My 2 cents. You have to do what feels right for you. But what ever you do remember that you worked hard to reach retirement, enjoy it! Lots of luck in what ever you do.

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Congrats and welcome to the club. :clap:

What retirement really means is that you work equally hard for a lot less money with no week-ends or holidays off. :biggrin: Really, if you have stuff to do that you enjoy doing, it's a blast.

It's about time for a one month update!!!!

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, it's been a few weeks. Enjoying doing whatever I feel like. Weather (high heat and rain) have hindered some of my outdoor projects. Have been puttering around doing small projects.

Doc

Bottoms Up
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
That's a good way to start. I've settled in to it much better than I anticipated. I expect you will to. :thumb:

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
Guys, I found that retirement took a little getting used to. It's not hard though, if you work at it. :wink:

After spending my whole working life getting up at 4:30 in the morning, sleeping in till 6 or 7 was a little unusual but It didn't take long to master it. :smile:

Also, sitting outside on the back deck, watching the morning begin, while drinking coffee was a bit strange, instead of guzzling it down as I headed out the door. :smile:

Waking up in the morning without having a mental list of things that HAD to get done that day was also liberating. You still have the mental list but if it gets done that day, or the next, or even that whole week is entirely up to you. Oh heck, cancel everything and go fishing or take an impromptu road trip. :smile:

You can tell that I've loved my 18-years of retirement. It's been invigorating.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
As I and others have said, stay busy. The time when you wont be able to stay busy is slowly creeping up on you. Not trying to scare you, just enjoy what you do even if it's a task you don't care for. My neighbor is a small contractor and occasionally hands off jobs building and installing square tube handrails for folks. Since welding is one of my hobbies I enjoy the mental stimulation of laying out and building them plus get a little change in my pocket.
Mike

bczoom

Super Moderator
Staff member
GOLD Site Supporter
Well, here it is. As of 10 minutes ago, I'm done working. :)

I may take a job here-and-there but I like to consider myself officially retired!
Well, I retired about 16 months ago. As of this past Monday morning, I'm working again. Looks to be a 3-4 year contract.

I was really enjoying retirement but for our situation, it's best I took the job.

jpr62902

Jeanclaude Spam Banhammer
SUPER Site Supporter
Well, I retired about 16 months ago. As of this past Monday morning, I'm working again. Looks to be a 3-4 year contract.

I was really enjoying retirement but for our situation, it's best I took the job.

Awesome. Just awesome!

EastTexFrank

GOLD Site Supporter
We're very similar. I retired at 52. I spent 18 months working around the house and acreage but I missed what I used to do. I went back and worked as a consultant working 4 to 6 months a year and working around the place for the remainder of the time. After about 4 years of doing that I finally got it out of my system and quit for good and never regretted it. I've thoroughly enjoyed the last 13 or 14 years of "full" retirement.

When you've worked long and hard all your life, it's sometimes tough to quit cold turkey. At least I found it so. When you ease in to retirement it's sometimes easier. Best of luck with your decision and I hope that you'll be happy.