• Please be sure to read the rules and adhere to them. Some banned members have complained that they are not spammers. But they spammed us. Some even tried to redirect our members to other forums. Duh. Be smart. Read the rules and adhere to them and we will all get along just fine. Cheers. :beer: Link to the rules: https://www.forumsforums.com/threads/forum-rules-info.2974/

Sulfated Battery

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Or at least it was, I guess.

I bought a Battery Tender for the Crossfire to use during winter storage. After, being hooked up for about 12 hours, the bad battery LED came on. A quick check of the paperwork that came with the tender indicated that the battery could be sulfated, which means it is not taking a full charge and putting out the proper voltage. Damn, only a year old battery and expensive as hell.

Tried it again and lo and behold the big Green blinking LED came on this time after a short time of charging indicating the battery was up to snuff and the tender had switched to maintain mode. :clap: Oh, happy day.

My guess, is that the battery was just starting to sulfate and the charger reversed the process on the plates. Anyone ever have any experience with this or versed in Lead Acid Battery technology?

sc2.jpg

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
I use an electronic tester now I like carbon pile testers but to do a 4 d battery you would need a forklift to move it around I believe in the hydrometer but they are useless with sealed batterys and agm style the best thing you can do is charge the battery slow some times you need to put a small light for a load on it.

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Best battery diagnosis tool I have is a HF resistor style load tester.
Mike

Thanx Mike!
I use an electronic tester now I like carbon pile testers but to do a 4 d battery you would need a forklift to move it around I believe in the hydrometer but they are useless with sealed batterys and agm style the best thing you can do is charge the battery slow some times you need to put a small light for a load on it.

Putting a small light bulb across the terminals while charging was going to be my next step, but apparently this tender, in charge mode, is not very high so it did the job on its own. All is well now and the battery goes right to maintain with no issues. Sitting around a long time with partial charge is not the best thing for lead acid batteries. I'm glad I dodged the bullet.

mla2ofus

GOLD Site Supporter
With all the electronics in vehicles today it's best to have a float charger on them all the time in extended down time. The clock in the radio is one culprit that will gradually draw a battery down. I use the HF float chargers on all my batteries that will sit all winter such as an outboard, riding mowers, etc.
Mike

300 H and H

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
With all the electronics in vehicles today it's best to have a float charger on them all the time in extended down time. The clock in the radio is one culprit that will gradually draw a battery down. I use the HF float chargers on all my batteries that will sit all winter such as an outboard, riding mowers, etc.
Mike

Agreed. But also consider a ground switch, of high amperage. :flowers:

Stops off season drain, and if mounted with consideration, a theft deterant as well...

East to disconnect, or connect. Some even have a key you remove for security.

Caterpillar equiptment comes standard for the most part with a master power switch. I think they know what they are doing. :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
Agreed. But also consider a ground switch, of high amperage. :flowers:

Stops off season drain, and if mounted with consideration, a theft deterant as well...

East to disconnect, or connect. Some even have a key you remove for security.

Caterpillar equiptment comes standard for the most part with a master power switch. I think they know what they are doing. :whistling:

Regards, Kirk

I'm very reluctant to disconnect the battery as the car is equipped with the Flexible Service System or FSS for short. This monitors both milage and TIME. Disconnecting the battery will screw up the time keeping aspect of it and I would rather that not happen. Even though the car is an 05 it only has 22K on the clock so I am still following the service schedule as if it were still new, which it is so to speak.

Snowtrac Nome

member formerly known as dds
GOLD Site Supporter
disconnecting battery's will also reset the adaptive learn memory and sometimes the cause short term drivability issues

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
My boats have great battery chargers. Small, compact, smart enough to heavy charge, trickle charge, and level off the batteries. Completely ignition protected, and electrically protected.

Not cheap, but I would suggest them to be better than thing pictured above.

I can picture an internal short in that thing shown above, and it exploding into a ball of flames as a result of the available fault current in a 12vdc battery.

deand1

Bronze Member
GOLD Site Supporter
Or at least it was, I guess.

Anyone ever have any experience with this or versed in Lead Acid Battery technology?

My experience with these kind of devices. Wife's 2004 BMW showed weak battery at 3 years (2007). I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 24/7/365 electronic device that hooked to the battery posts and sends out an electronic pulse anytime the battery was receiving a charge (driving down the road). Never again did I have a low battery message. In 2015 my granddaughter, who is now the driver, took the car to the BMW shop and they said she needed a new battery. She told them "this is the original battery." "NO way" they said. Service manager checked the date on the battery and low and behold, the battery was in fact 11 years old. The service manager was beside himself. These electronic pulse devices do in fact work, and will reverse the sulfate problem.

YMMV

tiredretired

The Old Salt
SUPER Site Supporter
My boats have great battery chargers. Small, compact, smart enough to heavy charge, trickle charge, and level off the batteries. Completely ignition protected, and electrically protected.

Not cheap, but I would suggest them to be better than thing pictured above.

I can picture an internal short in that thing shown above, and it exploding into a ball of flames as a result of the available fault current in a 12vdc battery.

I'm not into spending big bucks right now for high end charging systems. I hear what you are saying and I installed a spare arc fault outlet along with a GFI for the 120V. The unit is sitting in a 5 gallon metal pail so fire prevention paranoia overcame me momentarily. I am OK now. :yum:

My experience with these kind of devices. Wife's 2004 BMW showed weak battery at 3 years (2007). I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 24/7/365 electronic device that hooked to the battery posts and sends out an electronic pulse anytime the battery was receiving a charge (driving down the road). Never again did I have a low battery message. In 2015 my granddaughter, who is now the driver, took the car to the BMW shop and they said she needed a new battery. She told them "this is the original battery." "NO way" they said. Service manager checked the date on the battery and low and behold, the battery was in fact 11 years old. The service manager was beside himself. These electronic pulse devices do in fact work, and will reverse the sulfate problem.

YMMV

Great news! Seems to have worked for me as well. These European car batteries are big bucks.

waybomb

GOLD Site Supporter
Benz bats are about 135-150 bucks and they generally last 8-10 years for me.
Last time I bout one it was 135 and the time before that was 95 bucks.
They last a long time.